Any paddlers out there?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The above road sign paid for by AAA

(The Alligator Association of America)

That's so funny, to hear some here talk about gators and sharks, then me talking about how it's too cold to go paddling, (in May.) Two totally different paddling worlds.

Hey, in Florida we shiver if it gets below 75.

All the tourists walk around in January in shorts and t-shirts, and all the locals have jackets on because they're freezing.

;)

At 75 degrees we start bellowing that it's too hot!
I'm really craving more warmth over a long period of time, not just 90 days worth. I know it's going to be the shock of my life when it's 90 degrees for months on end. It just doesn't get warm long enough here to really acclimate.

Went for a paddle on Mineral Lake today. Look at the view of Mt Rainier! Holy smokes!
It took some hard paddling to get to this viewpoint. Getting back, I was starting to wonder if I was going to make it.
This lake is not fed by Rainier's glaciers, so it was pleasant and warm, swimmable really.

Had a hard time tracking the boat. Overall, an inflatable is perfect for splashing around a lake in summer, but to get from point A to point B, I'd really prefer a touring boat.

Cammalu said:
6d75e6236f4482c5ae1d9bdbcc69dafa.jpg
screw the gator watch out for Florida mosquitos

I'm thinking of one of these for exploring and fishing all the nooks and crannies...

[video=youtube] :cool:

A motor to cover distance, a paddle to get to the fish, quietly.
https://www.soloskiff.com/

johnny b said:
I'm thinking of one of these for exploring and fishing all the nooks and crannies...

A motor to cover distance, a paddle to get to the fish, quietly.
https://www.soloskiff.com/

That's pretty nice. I wonder what they're asking for that complete with engine?

MSRP of $1,850 plus shipping avg.-$140  That's without a motor.  Two motors they recommend 3.5hp $970 on sale and 5hp $1350 on sale.
It's 14'4" long and weighs 155 pounds.  3.5hp weighs 41lbs and the 5hp weighs 57 pounds.
So 196-212 lbs would require a trailer.

Yeah, it is definitely heavy and not a true kayak...but hey, anything "hybrid" is 'in' these days...and it does well with a trolling motor.

Not for everybody...more suited for those that 'ain't quite right'...but we got plenty of them! :p

lenny flank said:
Yep. Definitely not a "car-topper".  ;)

And not the best if you think you might have a few portages on your journey. Other than the obvious though, it looks like it would be fun.

I took two sit on top Malibu kayaks (30" wide) and made a car top carrier out of 4 cedar 2" x 4" x 8' long lumber. Basically an H shape frame 8' long by 5' wide (holds two 30" kayaks) the center part of the H being a platform of half inch plywood 5' x 4'. Added 4 large eye bolts on each 8' side to secure the kayaks to the rack when transporting on the car roof. When we got to the lake the kayaks were set parallel to each other on the shore about 3' apart. The rack was then taken off the car and flipped over turned 90 degrees and placed over the kayaks. Two ratchet straps were attached to the outside eye bolts, the under the kayak and back to the inside eye bolts, then across to the inside eye bolts of the other kayak, under that kayak and tightened after being attached to the outside eye bolts of the second kayak. This made a catamaran with a 4' x 5' platform for an ice chest and camping gear as well as a transom for a trolling motor. I sometimes used a tall chair to fish from but eventually just added a resting bar so I could stand and cast. When camping the rack came off and 4 legs (paddles) were installed and a tarp attached to form a tent. I was a great set up for my wife and I as we got older we could motor to far away areas then use single kayaks for narrow slot channels at Lake Powell, and got lots of looks when at the beach on top our Baja Bug.

waldenbound said:

Remember people you can be a full timer and use a storage unit to help with over flow. What over flow every thing I own is in my car? Well if that is true you are using fuel to drag around stuff . You could be using that space for a part time job with Uber or hauling pizza. You could be using that space to carry something else you need. Friend Bob Q Prius on FB lives out his Prius that way. He refuses to give up that sweet economy he has to have winter clothes and summer clothes he has other things. What he does is when changes zones he packs it all up then when he gets to his new zone he will rent a storage unit tries for the 5x5x5 but if they don't have that he takes what he can . He has lots of space this way showers at the PLNT planet fitness and he goes to the McD to do his WIFI business IDK why he could do it at PLNT most PLNT have nice chairs. He has family scattered across the nation with a life time of friends too as he is a graduate of Kent State.  So folks before you say you have no space for 12 volt 48 quart fridge think again you probably do. Don't have space for all them clothes and extra boots well you do. Sure you might only wear that suit to a funeral but you can have that too. It is just an expense when you have the means. GEAUX PRIUS COWBOY

Latest posts