Any Good Long Term Boondocking in Tampa?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderingfreeman

Reaction score
I am looking to winter over in Florida again this year and want to try Tampa. They do seem fairly unfriendly to dwellers though. I don't mind shuffling between Lowes, Wal-Mart etc.... day to day if I have to, but I am interested in other ideas.

Tampa is rough. St Pete also rough. They do not like anyone they perceive as "homeless" and have local ordinances against "sleeping" and "camping". The Walmarts etc are all "no-go".

I did a few weeks in St Pete, but it was not easy. Along 4th St N, between around 54th and 9th Avenues, there are lots of businesses. I overnighted on the side streets in front of closed businesses. Do NOT park in front of any houses, and do NOT let any neighbors see you--it's a sure call to the cops.

There's a Cracker Barrel in Oldsmar that's OK for a couple nights. I never tried any of the other Cracker Barrels in Tampa or St Pete, but Cracker Barrel policy is to allow campers to overnight.

Good luck.

Ok, good to know. Nothing in Tampa itself? Preferably near USF? Allstays said the walmart there was "rough" but sleeping was permitted. Rough doesn't bother me. My 2 friends Smith and Wesson got my back, but I am pretty good at minding my own business.

I think there's a Cracker Barrel near USF.

You can try the Walmart if you want, but the cops will likely be all over the place.

PS--if you'll be doing some site-seeing, the Aquarium in Tampa is very nice, as is the zoo. All the beaches re across the Bay in Pinellas County, and St Pete has the Dali museum.

That is why I want to winter over there. So I can see all of that and more. I want to get in some fishing as well.

While you are in the area, check out Bradenton and Sarasota. Cool places to see there too. :)

(I lived in St Pete for almost 20 years before I went mobile.)

I run an ad on craigslist in the wanted by owner section for a place to park from approx midnight to 8 am. That's when I normally sleep.

I tell people in the ad that I sleep in my vehicle (by choice) and that I'm not looking for something free / willing to pay.

I'm paying $30 for a month to a guy right now. It's short-term / 2 months max.

Had a lady message me tonight, going to call her tomorrow and see what deal can be made.

I have been running the ad since Aug 21 and had 4 responses so far.

PS--I didn't have any trouble with the Walmart in Bradenton.

There's a huge 24hr Walmart about a mile and a half from me at: 10237 Bay Pines Blvd, Saint Petersburg, FL 33708.

I don't know their official policy concerning sleeping but I usually see a couple RV's parked there at night. It's only about 5 minutes from the beaches and it's a safe neighborhood.

MotorVation said:
There's a huge 24hr Walmart about a mile and a half from me at: 10237 Bay Pines Blvd, Saint Petersburg, FL 33708.

I don't know their official policy concerning sleeping but I usually see a couple RV's parked there at night. It's only about 5 minutes from the beaches and it's a safe neighborhood.

Thanks. I will check it out.

wanderingfreeman said:
I am looking to winter over in Florida again this year and want to try Tampa. They do seem fairly unfriendly to dwellers though. I don't mind shuffling between Lowes, Wal-Mart etc.... day to day if I have to, but I am interested in other ideas.

I am in St Petersburg now.  I live here.  The WalMarts run you off but I did hear the cracker barrel lets you stay but call first.   I don't boondock around here since I live here.   I do have a special spot if you don't mind spending a couple bucks.  I hate giving this place up because not a lot of people realize it can be done,  but if you go over to the Skyway Fishing Pier  you are allowed to fish for 24 hrs.  I think it is 8 bucks now per vehicle.  I have slept out there many times a few yrs back.  Great breeze most of the time.  You may see a couple others out there but usually they are just day people.  Just don't say  you are camping because they will send you to fort DeSoto campground and it is 40 bucks.    I haven't been able to camp there in about 1 yr so the price may have changed.  Good luck in this area.  They frown on it.

I think we had someone on here staying on state wildlife property or water district land? I don't believe they had any utilites. I also used to see workamper type positions at state fish and game check stations that had full hookup sites. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Latest posts