Pros and Cons of Van-Life out West

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus there is the small matter of dams on all those western rivers. I think Hydro power is a good thing - although not without a few detrimental side effects.
The dams are mostly for creating lakes for irrigation, though they are hydro worthy sometimes.

The CO river had riverboats back in the day down around Yuma, but the dams did away with that. We pretty much drain it dry before it gets to Mexico.

iu

eDJ, Even landlocked cities built intermodal hubs. Eg. Effingham, IL Anywhere where air, rail, highways and/or ports intersect.
Effingham? I grew up near there. The town has definitely prospered with the rise of shipping by semi. Driving from there to the airport in Indy last year at night was kinda treacherous, due to lots of road construction and endless trains of semis going >80 mph. I knew that if there were any "incidents", I'd be squashed like a bug... 🐞

Yes, all good points. I forgot to mention air freight in my earlier post but that's what I was getting at when I mentioned "multi-modal" shipping. Then there are "International Inland Ports" like you mention.

Nearest to me is Columbus, Ohio which became an IIPC in 1994 (I believe) and Pittsburgh, PA the largest IIPC in America.

When I've been out west I was most aware of all the trucking and rail freight moving there.

I also understand that shipping on water is the least expensive way to ship. Next to that is motor freight (Trucks) and finally rail freight.

We did get the enjoyable look of hundreds of container ships when going to the beach for a good stretch.

It was a very strange sight seeing so many of them when they had the backlog at the ports. It looked like a bunch of cars in a parking lot that didn't have any painted lines.
Compress_20230625_085442_2956.jpg

Last edited:
Effingham? I grew up near there. The town has definitely prospered with the rise of shipping by semi. Driving from there to the airport in Indy last year at night was kinda treacherous, due to lots of road construction and endless trains of semis going >80 mph. I knew that if there were any "incidents", I'd be squashed like a bug... 🐞
Had to laugh, because I get nervous driving through Effingham on I-57. I lived there for a year in 1997 and there was just one truck stop, IIRC.

I also understand that shipping on water is the least expensive way to ship. Next to that is motor freight (Trucks) and finally rail freight.
Forgot to mention the other problems barges cause on the rivers. Runaway barges, tugs ramming barges into bridges, barges killing people in pleasure boats, barges stuck on dams and sand bars, oil (and other chemical) spills, etc. Alarms have been sounding about "bomb trains", as well.

I Don know of any cons to camping in Western States versus camping in other areas of the country. The West has lots of free dispersed camping and lots of beautiful scenery so what is not to like about that?

I Don know of any cons to camping in Western States versus camping in other areas of the country. The West has lots of free dispersed camping and lots of beautiful scenery so what is not to like about that?
The land is stunning out west. And the weather is warm year round. But for those who grew up elsewhere and/or have family elsewhere, they don't have to choose between the two. They can do both. There are stunning places all over the U.S., along with dispersed camping. It takes more research to find dispersed camping outside of the massive BLM spots west of the Mississippi.

What I hope to do is head west and southwest in the winter (maybe Mexico and Texas, too, some years), then north in the summer. Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota... near the Canadian border.

Fall and Spring I can camp near my kids in Illinois. If I live long enough, I'd like to visit the east coast. Mass., Rhode Island and Maine (maybe New Brunswick) ... in the summer. Ditto for the state of Washington.

Traveling that far for winter then back for summer will cost quite a bit, though. Might not go as planned, lol.

If money prevents camping in multiple regions, then the southwest makes the most sense to me. Summer you can go to the mountains for lower temps.

Ruff, I agree. if it is over long distances. Generally speaking if you are shipping less than 500 to 800 miles you would want to ship by motor freight.

If you are shipping manufactured products via rail (appliances for example) the packaging (card board box and inner packaging) has to conform to the Uniform Freight Classification Codes and the packaging will be sturdier and more expensive. This is for shipping insurance purposes. (a must) Rail Freight is rougher on the goods.

The National Motor Freight Classification is followed for the packaging if the item in question is shipped by Truck. There are several other tariff's applied for Air Freight, shipping on water, or hazardous items.

Railroads have the highest overhead cost as they have to pay for their rail "ways" real estate and equipment etc. Motor freight operates over public supported roadways except in the case of toll roads (which is still tax deductible) Waterways are all public supported.

I looked up shipping cost and found this: Trucking cost has soared due to fuel cost increases over the years.
The cost per ton-mile for a barge is only $0.97, compared to $2.53 for rail, and $5.35 for trucking. Other benefits include an improved natural environment for fish and wildlife, parks and recreational areas, generation of clean and renewable hydroelectric power, reduced soil erosion and flood reduction.

Railroads have the highest overhead cost as they have to pay for their rail "ways" real estate and equipment etc. Motor freight operates over public supported roadways except in the case of toll roads (which is still tax deductible) Waterways are all public supported.
Yes, the level of public subsidy makes it tough to compare directly... but rail transport is many times more efficient for both fuel and personnel... and I'd wager the cost to maintain the rails would be considerably less than the cost to maintain the damage that large trucks cause to roads. It was very weird to get rid of rail, and favor trucking IMO. It would make more sense to have a standard trailer that can be loaded on railcars, and ship them most of the way to the destination.

..... It would make more sense to have a standard trailer that can be loaded on railcars, and ship them most of the way to the destination.
Containers; no need to ship the frame and wheels.
Their being used more and more for intermodal transportation.

Containers; no need to ship the frame and wheels.
Exactly, and smaller ones (a smaller "standard") would often be more practical for short trucking runs... greater maneuverability.

In the 60's they shipped the whole trailer, known as Piggybacking. They actually developed an idea of trailers that could be pulled over the tracks like RR Cars...seen in this Youtube video.

I agree that overloading Trucks can tear up the highways that the tax payers pay for. The waterways Locks & Dams are free to the River Boats and tax supported. But every country needs to have a system of bulk transportation.

The Rail Road gets some help from the Government in the form of "Fair Rate Basing" which helps to subsidize reconstruction of the lines every few decades. So many of the Locomotives are leased equipment held by big Banks and financial companies.

Semi Trailers towed on RR Tracks

One major advantage in starting your van life experience in the west is the climate. New van dwellers face a lot of challenges; Sanitation, heating/cooling, places to camp and sleep, and others I'm too tired to think of right now. Because the political and weather are easier to deal with in places such as California, I found it easier to deal with the other challenges. Once you have adjusted yourself to your new lifestyle, it will be easier to find cheaper places to live.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I have shingles and it's driving me crazy.
Sorry abt your shingles. This is not medical advise.l am not a physician. I've heard of great relief with rubbing on cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Hope things go well for you.

This is not medical advise. l am not a physician.

:pIt's good that you included that disclaimer, else you'd open yourself to fines, imprisonment, and lawsuits!

If you are lacking a license to prescribe opiates or any of the other drugs people like (that are covered by insurance), then you are not qualified to have an opinion... though it be based on personal experience...
:ROFLMAO:o_O

Not medical advice, I am not a doctor, but when I had shingles I put some aspercreme on it. It says don’t apply to broken skin or large areas of skin. It seemed to help calm the inflammation for me.

Asking what are the pros and cons to “van living” in any location is a strange question. It is what you yourself personally are like that creates the feelings of pros and cons about any kind of life style in any location. No matter where you go there you are.

What in tarnation does bulk cargo handling have to do with pros and cons of living out west???

The good, the bad, and the ugly,

the good:
Freedom, space, time, air, sun

the bad:
you need money to live. period. people living in vehicles are not full citizens. scammers and druggies in urban situations... obnoxious people on off road buggies ..reams of humans with no sense of reverence for, ..... everything.

the ugly:
senior people with no where else to go, waiting to die... the dicsarded of humanity left to rot ... whoa is me crowd always in need ....
The 7 nasty Ps... vehicle dwelling is not a panacea, not a solve all, if you have issues there, they will follow you here. This is not easy, and the less cash you have the harder it gets. The 7 ps are Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance... I have only been out here short of two years and the number of folks ill prepared and just not ready for this lifestyle is impressive. I made a choice to do this in June of 2020, after mulling it over for a year, and then I didn't hit the road for 18+ months.... the need to clean up and out my house, and get it ready to sell, while battling depression etc meant that I spent that 18 months doing crap tons of research on all aspects of nomad life, and it paid off well.... my pitfalls have been few ( knock on wood) and that is due to having proper expectations.... I am not "out of the woods" or "free and clear" and may never be... I am still trying to build and maintain my emerg fund, but that is a challenge.
You will succeed or fail in your own way and it will be unlike others experiences. being prepared and having realistic expectations is key to having success out here, and even then.... the bad thing can happen, but that can happen anywhere at anytime... :)