5X8 enclosed cargo trailer? or?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper238

Reaction score
I like to plan ahead and cover all my bases if i choose to live on the road. I have been doing extended overland trips in my 2019 4Runner and its been great. I have also been lucky with weather, but i know if i do this full time and even if i move to the better weather its inevitable i will want to stay in one place and will encounter some bad weather. IMO it's probably one of the hardest parts about living on the road. Raining for a few days or even a week stuck inside all by yourself. 

So, though a cargo van would be perfect i really love my 4Runner with its ease of movement and capabilities, but it simply does not have the space to live in it long term. For now ill be trying out a pop up canopy. But i was wondering peoples thoughts about a 5x8 or 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer. What's too small? I don't want to overburden my 4Runner and i also don't need a ton of space for just me. Just a place i can go and have head clearance so i can move around and live/stand/sleep comfortably. 
I will be doing the build myself on a new inclosed cargo trailer with professionalsionals doing any door or window installs when the time comes. 

What's the cargo trailer consensus for the best small size? Can you get a 5x8 with with a tandem axel? 

Going through different floor plan designs it appears a 6x10 would be ideal. But i would really love to get a 5x8 with a V nose to work. Maybe a cargo van will be better? Thoughts?

I sold my van and bought a new 6x12 cargo trailer and am more than pleased with it. I can walk around in it which is so nice. Mine is so simple but I did build a nice computer desk up in the front V.

I didn't get a tandem axle for my 500# of cargo.... a tandem costs more, heavier to tow, buy four tires instead of two. No thanks.

[size=medium]What are you pulling the [/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]6x12 with? I think its too big for me. I'm[size=medium] guessing the Van was too small? [/size][/font]

Good points on the [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tandem. I like the idea for better highway handling/driving/safety as well as the automatic spare if one blows on the road. But the extra weight would be a concern. [/font]

Consider a 5x10 V-nose w barn doors out back. Easy tow, lengthwise cot, kitchen out the back or on the end. Bought mine at Diamond Cargo in GA
05d8b4cba3d88e15748c2457c1cba502.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Another good option! only 2' longer, but why not go the extra foot wide at that point. 

I also would prefer the kitchin in the V nose i think. 

I want to keep it small and light since my 4Runner only has 270lb of torque. 
Wonder if anyone has been happy with a 5x8?

This dilemma has come up several times on this forum, so search for many opinions. Tnttt.com has a whole forum with thousands of conversions and will be a wealth of information. A lot will depend on you, where and how you want to travel. If you are under 6' tall a 6' wide trailer gives you more floor plan options but doesn't pull as easily or go down narrow forest roads as easily and usually requires wider mirrors to see around plus being generally heavier than a 5' wide trailer. A single axle trailer is lighter than a dual axle but the tire wear is greater because the load is carried by 2 tires instead of four. A flat tire is not good on any trailer but it can be very damaging on a single axle and is more likely to cause control issues as well as prevent continued progress down the road. If your Four Runner is a V6 fuel mileage will suffer greatly with a 6' wide dual axle heavier trailer. Camper made a wise choice in my opinion by using a V8 Tundra pulling a light weight 6' x 12' standing height trailer. I have found it is easy to overload with all the gear required for full time living and pulling it down rough unpaved remote roads for me meant a dual axle. I started much like you with a topper on a Tacoma then added a 4' x 6' single axle utility trailer. Later I enclosed it to sleep in bad weather when I couldn't use a tent, then enlarged the trailer and added a bathroom which made it 80" x 11' which was way too much for my tow vehicle as the gas mileage dropped by half in head winds. So now the camper portion is mounted on a 6' x 24' flatbed dual axle trailer which allows me to haul a Suzuki Samurai on the back 12', mount plenty of solar and carry all my camping gear and kayaks. I pull it with a 3/4 Ton modified Suburban (10 mpg) and use it as a base camp while using the Samurai (25 mpg} for daily trips. A light weight 5' x 8' standing height trailer would work fairly well with your present vehicle as long as you don't overload it. Otherwise you will end up somewhere between Campers tow vehicle and trailer is and mine. I should mention there are two of us, my wife and I, which does increase the requirements. Good luck and hope you find quickly what works for you without too much expense and discomfort.

Thanks @bullfrog.

Lots of good info. Sounds like i should stick with a 5x8, and maybe at most 5x10 since i do want to keep my ability of easily going down narrow forest roads with my smaller 4Runner compared to the Tundra. Ill have to do some more research on tandem axel's additional weight vs highway stability to see if its worth it. Probably not.

It would only be me so it may be very doable in a 5x8 V nose.

I've never had a stability issue with a single axle trailer in over 50-years of towing. The right tow vehicle is important.

Apparently a single axle performs better maneuvering, which is more important than any extra perceived stability advantages over a tandem for my use. I have towed trailers before and have a commercial DL, so though i am a sperteted driver i think i can control my self. lol

Ripper - Here are links to 2 different 5 x 8's I built out. One is a V nose, the other a flat front. They might give you an idea of what can be done with a small trailer.         

Whatever size you choose have you considered “we roll” of Florida. That company has been a generous sponsor for HOWA. the videos I’ve seen reveal a quality manufactured unit. The problem is that they are so good they are behind in their work. So people are waiting for longer times on units. I think that those trailers that are sitting in the lots By the dozen are not made as well as we roll. But I’ve never owned one so I’m just going by the videos and information I have heard from others. Since they are a great sponsor of HOWA I would consider at least looking at them.

@jwh92020, nice builds! Helps with the spacial area of a 5x8. I actually found one of your videos prior (V nose one) and i really like the foldable full bed. Would be big for my needs, but very awesome. Does the V nose give a decent amount of extra space? I think they bump out 1.5'?

@nature lover. Thanks for the suggestion, I am all for supporting those who support others. Especially since i'm okay with someone doing some of the foundational work. This video is almost exactly what i was thinking to build:

Also impressive with flip up door and window. 

Some basic things to keep in mind when building out a cargo trailer.Standing height is well worth having but will have lots of negatives, as in weight and wind resistance. Modern RVs have rounded corners on windows and doors to prevent stress point problems going down the road. 12 volt solar works best with 12 volt appliances (refrigerator/freezer). Vented propane heaters prevent condensation. A small propane powered (Champion 2000 watt Dual fuel) generator will allow batteries to stay charged and power a electric heater, small AC and a microwave when needed. Water weighs a lot so a DIY separating toilet makes sense.

I would love 6' wide, but I was towing with a Subaru Crosstrek and wanted side visibility because I've strapped a kayak to one side and a fat bike to the other. I didn't want them inside... Mud and seawater !

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The 5' x 8' All Aluminium Cargo Trailer by Weeroll, featured in the OP's final video would be my choice, because this size trailer offers the very best combination of internal living space and ease of towing, maneuverability and site manhandling, together with good fuel economy, especially with a 2' or longer V-Nose.

The 5' x 8' All Aluminium Cargo Trailer is lightweight, putting less load on the towing vehicle and giving good fuel economy when compared to a steel chassis and cargo framed trailer.

It also puts less wear and tear on the trailer itself as being lightweight its easier to tow on boondocking trails.

That Weeroll Trailer has a 'Windoor', the combination of window and door (or to be more accurate, window/hatch) which increases practicality and may be used as an emergency escape hatch.

It also has a rear tailgate/hatch which makes a perfect awning and provides the roof for an add on room with the addition of a tarp clipped to the opened tailgate/hatch, this can make a spacious outdoor shower, kitchen or lounging area, and is more practical and lighter than a ramp rear door!

A deep V-Nose can add 2 to 3 feet additional length to the 8' x 5' trailer, which may be configured as a kitchen and toilet/shower area, without intrusion into the main living area.

With lightweight camping beds, chairs and tables which fold flat when not in use, the interior can feel really spacious, light, airy and uncluttered. In addition, plastic drawer towers and storage boxes with lids are pracical, inexpensive and lightweight.

A bed/couch fitted lengthways on the drivers side wall, either fixed and with storage below or simply a bed which folds up against the wall will be practical and add the feeling of space, and the occupant can comfortably recline and enjoy the outside view!

The Weeroll Trailers are supplied with insulation fitted into the walls and roof, and I would pay extra to have insulation fitted into the side door, tailgate/hatch and floor at the time of the build.

5' x 8' can be a comfortable space in which to enjoy time in one's comfortable and heated travel cabin, and whether tongue and groof cedar or pine or beadboard are used on the roof and walls, the space can be outfitted and configured beautifully, to suit one's personal preference.

An inexpensive and reliable Chinese Diesel Air Heater can be fitted, and to benefit from free firewood when boondocking, an equally inexpensive collapsible tent stove with 2.5" stovepipe will provide free heat and the beautiful ambience of a wood stove, on which water boiling and cooking can also be carried out.

I would consider fitting at least one tracking device very well hidden in your trailer, in addition to wheel clamps and a hitch lock.

Whilst suggestions and opinions may be useful, the only opinion that matters is that of the person who will be living in that spacel

it seems you want a 5X8 :)

too small? not sure....but in the end it is ALL about you and the space you truly require for your comfort.

get into a 5x8 and get into something like a 6x10.....feel them out. What suits you?

One thing I know, we got larger and larger buying travel trailers til the day we said OMG.....downsized we go....lol....so if you are fine with smaller, get that smaller. Alot of times size does matter and that little bit bigger might be a good purchase, but if you want smaller, than stay smaller ya know and you will be happy in it. If you are happy car camping etc with a small footprint....then your 5x8 should be luxury accommodations.

only you? 1 person. You can make any floorplan you desire. Just you and all about you and all your space.

let us know what ya get, we would love to hear :)

All really great input. I feel much better about a 5x8, especially now that i know the V nose can be an additional 2-3ft which would help a lot with the floor plan i hoped to do with kitchen up front. Also very cool that they make tailgate/hatch that can double as a hard awning for coverage in the rain or enclose it for more space, exactly what i do with the hatch on my 4Runner now. And lighter weight? Count me in. lol

Ill probably want to overkill the insulation like 2" walls at least and maybe 3" on the ceiling since winter camping will happen. So ill likely need a 5x8 with a ~6'6" height. 

Weroll sounds like a great option since i would rather have a professional do the insulation and structural mods. Interior i can do all my self. Wonder if they would allow me to watch the assembly? 

I am guessing Weroll will customise for you since there website doesn't show many V nose in 5x8. 

If you plan on sleeping in the 4runner and using the 5x8 for daily activities, cooking, lounging, surfing, whatever, then yeah it can work. 

Trying to squeeze in a bed AND all the other stuff, a 5x8 is going to be kinda small.

Latest posts