5X8 enclosed cargo trailer? or?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 13 years I did it, that never happened. It's easy to avoid in the west if you move around.

NM, AZ and southern CO to a modest extent have a summer rainy season, but it's quite dry in summer if you are north or west of there. In winter southern AZ and CA deserts or Baja are the places to be.

I don't think I'd enjoy living like this though, if I didn't like hanging out by myself.

Good the here. Hard part for me is I am more of an East coast dweller so rain is a big thing, especially if you like camping in WV like I do. The heat is a big issue for me as well but so far so good there.

Yeah, I could walk into the woods and never talk to anyone again and be very happy and entertained. But I remember those old rainy days at camp that just sucked. lol

I grew up in IL, but it's hard to get me to go very far east of the Rockies. Just so much nicer in the west. Tons of public land, much better climate (temperature, humidity, rain, sun), beautiful topography, fewer people, easy to avoid bugs, mosquitoes, noxious plants, briars, etc.

I like to plan ahead and cover all my bases if i choose to live on the road. I have been doing extended overland trips in my 2019 4Runner and its been great. I have also been lucky with weather, but i know if i do this full time and even if i move to the better weather its inevitable i will want to stay in one place and will encounter some bad weather. IMO it's probably one of the hardest parts about living on the road. Raining for a few days or even a week stuck inside all by yourself.

So, though a cargo van would be perfect i really love my 4Runner with its ease of movement and capabilities, but it simply does not have the space to live in it long term. For now ill be trying out a pop up canopy. But i was wondering peoples thoughts about a 5x8 or 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer. What's too small? I don't want to overburden my 4Runner and i also don't need a ton of space for just me. Just a place i can go and have head clearance so i can move around and live/stand/sleep comfortably.
I will be doing the build myself on a new inclosed cargo trailer with professionalsionals doing any door or window installs when the time comes.

What's the cargo trailer consensus for the best small size? Can you get a 5x8 with with a tandem axel?

Going through different floor plan designs it appears a 6x10 would be ideal. But i would really love to get a 5x8 with a V nose to work. Maybe a cargo van will be better? Thoughts?
We caravan with long-term traveling chums.
We tow a 7x16 gooseneck tandem axle.
At camp, we occasionally back-to-back with another cargo trailer, leaving 8'-12' between our trailer bumpers.
With a white tarp rat-shitted over, our two rear doors facing, we have a cozy spot for chairs and stove.
In rough weather, we enclose four sides, with flaps for access to the trailers.
We decided on this after a trip with everybody parked side-by-side in a semi-circle, and another trip with the vehicles nose-to-tail.
Each of those configurations felt isolating.
With four cargo trailers -- two sets of back-to-back, one set a dozen feet from the other, the tarped zones facing each other -- we create a strong sense of security.
In your situation, I think I would go taller -- bigger? -- for the headroom... crouching gets old quick.
On our favored rough back-woods tracks, tandem axles are mandatory for our size... and we carry two spare tires/wheels.
I remember hearing a suggestion someplace about trying to save money by trying to get by with a single axle.
Based on our five decades of experience in dozens of semi-organized caravans -- interstate and international -- with experienced travelers, we prefer to not be the nincompoops with everything constantly breaking.

Last edited:
Apparently a single axle performs better maneuvering, which is more important than any extra perceived stability advantages over a tandem for my use. I have towed trailers before and have a commercial DL, so though i am a sperteted driver i think i can control my self. lol
I'm kinda late to the party, and can only comment on the 'towability' with your 4Runner, Ripper.
I have a V6 Tacoma, and I can pull my 5x8 single axle fairly easily. That said, I do have to downshift on uphills, sometimes down to 4th gear (I have a 6 speed manual tran).
When I do, I always say to myself, "Thank dog I didn't get anything bigger."
Of course, your mileage may (will) vary.

For me the big thing is... the vehicle is mainly a bedroom, "you live outside the vehicle". Inside the trailer can be as comfortable as you make it... a toilet, small kitchen area for inclimate weather, but, figure on the world being the living room. A canopy is a wonderful thing.

I have a V6 Tacoma, and I can pull my 5x8 single axle fairly easily. That said, I do have to downshift on uphills, sometimes down to 4th gear (I have a 6 speed manual tran).
When I do, I always say to myself, "Thank dog I didn't get anything bigger."
Downshifting isn't a problem, and neither is high RPM. When you have it at redline and everyone is passing you, then you might be at the limit... ;)