52 Mondays

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Her name is Su and I love her :)

The motorhome was Big Su, the minivan was Little Su, and the Vandura was Middle Su.  Each played a role as I determined how I want to live and travel.
This is the one, the only, Su.  The name comes from two ideals.  The first is Unsui - "to drift like clouds and flow like water".  The second is the Self Contained Mobile Living Unit.

For the record, she's a 2016 Ford Transit 250, 148" wheelbase, medium roof.

Down to 39 Mondays :)
Of course that also means only 39 more Fridays - and paychecks   :(  But it still can't come soon enough! 

Had some great ideas over the weekend for how to finish the ceiling, and the overall decor.
I've never been in a position to decorate a blank slate - no existing carpet, no furniture piece to work around, nothing but empty space and "what do I want this to look and feel like?".  The possibilities are endless, and rather intimidating.

I'm a minimalist so I'd look at the space and add one thing at a time, sit with it and see how I feel about it.  But I'd be happy living in a monk's cell, so there is that.   :p

Wow, you are ROLLING!! Was it as easy peasy as the videos make it out to be?

Absolutely not! lol
But we got through it.  It might have been prettier if I'd paid the pros to do it, but the scars will all be covered and I got to be involved in every step, so I'm happy I went this way (and saved $300).

In the TV show Queer as Folk, two of the lead characters are going to take on the remodeling of their attic into an artists studio.  They do this by watching a video where a woman in a twinset and pearls shows them how each and every step is "a SNAP!" while she snaps her fingers and shows a finished product worthy of a crew of full time tradespeople.  Their results were, predictably, tragic. LOL

So that is our go-to phrase when we're attempting something that other people deem easy, we say "it'll be a SNAP!".   I read your post about doing your own roof vent to my honey, we said the snap thing in unison.  :p

Woot!! Hope you're doing well, mayble!

Thanks Queen.
My mother's health is declining pretty rapidly - multiple cancers and advanced age will do that.  I've been visiting every weekend, which is joyful and depressing at the same time.
But every time I see her she asks me how the van is coming along :)

That is so hard, mayble, so glad you get to visit often, and awesome that she asks about the van!

Mom passed a few days ago.  I've spent most of the last 2 weeks camped in the van in her driveway, helping care for her as much as I could, and just being with her and the family.  
That's the kind of thing that I generally run from - I'm not one for the messy emotional stuff (it's a family trait).  But for whatever reason, I decided to face this one head on and was there as she drew her last breath.
It was a tremendously sad and beautiful experience.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, mayble. Wishing you peace as you go through this.

so sorry to hear the news. your mom is in a better place now. take care of yourself. highdesertranger

Thanks all.
It was truly wonderful to be there.  
When my sister called to let me know it was getting close, I tossed the battery & solar suitcase, the frig, a foam pad and a sleeping bag in the van, grabbed the dog and headed out.  Having the van gave me space to escape to when I needed some privacy, and I didn't have to worry about taking a bed from someone else coming from out of town.  I bonded with family that I've had virtually no relationship with for years, and became very close to the rest.  The standard "We should get together sometime" turned into "When are you coming to visit?  I have a spot in the driveway/yard/back 40 for you!"
It was a less than ideal start, spending my first night in the van in a torrential downpour, complete with thunder and lightning.  The ceiling is still unfinished so the rain pounding on the roof was LOUD!!  The dog was NOT happy, and there was major flooding all around to the point of closing the interstate as well as many surface streets in surrounding counties.  The roof vent leaked and the dog panted so much from anxiety the condensation was dripping from the ceiling so it was a bit clammy in the morning, but we survived and after that it got much MUCH better.  Even after the house was empty, I still slept in the van because it was cozy, comfy and mine.
I think this van thing is going to work out very well for me.

So sorry for your loss, mayble!! I am glad your van was your sanctuary! I am hoping for the same effect with mine!!

Latest posts