Well, here I am...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karla

Reaction score
Hey, y’all.  I’ve dropped in here a few times over the last few years, but seldom, and it’s been a while.  But my life is in a tailspin, and I expect to be hitting the road soon, so it’s time to speak up.

Last August I was living in an apartment in Sacramento after a divorce, followed by a breakdown.  Lots of personal stuff I won’t go just at the moment.  Things were going better.  I was still living off my money from selling the house, but I was working part time and had some projects started for more income streams.

Then my ex husband died.

Suddenly my daughter, our only child, owned a house in Arkansas in such bad shape I despaired of it being sellable.  The kid is a college student on the west coast.  She wasn’t in a position to deal with it, so I ditched everything that didn’t fit in the car and moved back to Arkansas.

A “friend” insisted on my staying with her while I replaced the ruptured water line from the street and the rusted-out water heater.  That seemed great, but once I landed there she rolled over me like a bulldozer, taking over the whole house project and attempting to run every detail of my life, including trying to dress me.  She talked me into doing an unplanned demo that stranded me without a functioning bathroom, so I was stuck at her house for months instead of weeks.  Months of hell, while she blew off most COVID precautions.  I finally managed to get the toilet hooked back up and moved into the house.

I’ve been basically camping here.  No stove, no bathtub or shower, just a toilet, a kitchen sink (I avoid the kitchen - still grossed out after having to clean up after my ex’s corpse in there, since he wasn’t found for about a week).  I’ve had one real shower and done real laundry once since New Years.

This week I gave myself permission to not fix the house anymore.  I’m putting my resources into getting set up to leave, instead.  We’ll auction the house as is.

I’ll be living in a 2011 CR-V.  Towing capacity is crappy, so only a utility trailer at the most, if that.  It’s me and two 10 year old Yorkie mixes.  Any advice would be appreciated.

You can do this. Just reading your post I hear the strength in what you have endured. You can do this. I agree with WanderingRose. One foot, one step at a time!

Welcome to the forum Karla!

I will post some CRV builds for your inspiration.
-crofter