Back To The Grind

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
I've been away from the forum a while. I also had to step away from my build. Back in January my aunt became ill and I had to house-sit and dog sit. It was out in the middle of farm country, and I had limited opportunities to leave the house. So, a three month delay. I had also met someone, who didn't work out, but was no less of a distraction. I've been back for a couple months now. I vowed to hit the ground running with the build and have kept pace. I'm three quarters of the way done, maybe more.
It pleases me to see the build come to fruition. I'm almost done with cabinetry. Then, I'll run my solar, lighting and finish the ceiling. Then, another coat of pain, the floor, and I think I"ll be able to call it a day.
Then, that leaves....leaving. Its something I still have reservations about, which is counterproductive; I've gone and spent all this money and I can't say I agree with it just sitting in the driveway until vacation time rolls around. However, gas WILL continue to go up. The Fed isn't handling inflation like they're supposed to. We are definitely headed toward a recession (pretty much already in one), with shortages looming. It doesn't sound good. I'm kind of wondering if I need to go ink up a time card for a little bit to wait out the storm. As nomadic as I want to be I don't want to struggle either.
Then again, last week, I heard from my friend that his brother died, very abruptly, and mysteriously. He had 7 mini strokes and was gone at the drop of a hat. He was my age, 41. My mom now has a health issue, they found a lump in her mouth and throat. Not to mention that once a year someone either gets ill or passes away in my neck of the woods. One of those people was an uncle who bought a van to do what I'm doing. He never made it. He waited until he was sick to feel justified to do it. In other words, life's too short.
I keep saying I'll get through the build and see where things are at, and that's the only plan I have right now.

Safe travels,
Rabbit

If you are going to continue to work I highly recommend you get a taste of what seasonal work is like in a location you might want to see. There is a learning curve to finding one that suits you and your needs so might as well find out what works for you should you need extra income while traveling. Getting one with housing will allow you to gradually move into van life to see how you like it as well.

If it's any encouragement, gas prices do seem to be coming down. How much, and how fast, is anyone's guess. (I was reading the other day that prices usually go up faster than they come down -- there's even a name for it, "rockets and feathers.")

I'm in a similar boat to you, in some ways -- having experienced some delays and setbacks and now trying to read the tea leaves on what's coming next so I can decide what's a reasonable risk. It's impossible, IMO! We are in uncharted territory, and things are just too volatile. I feel like all anyone can do is
(1) brutally prioritize what's really most important,
(2) plan for it thoroughly,
(3) gather tons of information -- and keep gathering, because things are changing so quickly, and
(4) have a Plan B, C, and D.

Actually, "get through the build and see where things are at" sounds like an excellent plan to me. As long as you are enjoying it, I would say it's excellent even if you never get on the road. But if that's what you really want -- which is what it sounds like -- I am sure you'll find a way.

There is no non-scary option.
Have fun and good luck!

If you are going to continue to work I highly recommend you get a taste of what seasonal work is like in a location you might want to see. There is a learning curve to finding one that suits you and your needs so might as well find out what works for you should you need extra income while traveling. Getting one with housing will allow you to gradually move into van life to see how you like it as well.
On a Facebook group, I got intel on the beat harvest, which of course is long hours. I'm not estranged to 12 hour days, however, I may end up finishing the van at that time. I sort of wanted to celebrate the finish line by traveling first before I use it as merely a utility to go to work for two straight months. I do have homework to do though in the season category.

I'm sitting tight and adopting a "wait and see" attitude right now. Otherwise I'd be selling everything and heading back to Hawaii! Seriously, I'm not being political here but I personally think a plurality of folks are coming to the conclusion that things are REALLY starting to get weird here...

Follow your gut instincts, doing so has been a success for me over the years.

Cheers.

I'm sitting tight and adopting a "wait and see" attitude right now. Otherwise I'd be selling everything and heading back to Hawaii! Seriously, I'm not being political here but I personally think a plurality of folks are coming to the conclusion that things are REALLY starting to get weird here...

Follow your gut instincts, doing so has been a success for me over the years.

Cheers.
I used to live in Hawaii. Miss it very badly. I don’t wish to be political either. However you don’t need politics to discuss the issue. Whoever is doing this is a “They”, and #1 “They” don’t care about either side of the political isle either. They’re using it to divide us and tighten the societal “bolt” down until the head snaps off.
And #2 “They” are doing it on purpose.
Don’t promote political isles. Promote a republic that protects individual sovereignty, because make no mistake, it’s trouble, big time.
So enjoy it while I have it I guess should be my mantra in all my decision making.

Doing builds while on the road, at least for me, is centered around being near material sources. For instance Quartzsite is a desert in terms of building materials so I did not do a lot of project work while there. Flagstaff however is pretty good so I have accomplished a lot there. Pahrump is pretty medicare, just a Home Depot that was often out of stock of the materials I needed.

Doing builds while on the road, at least for me, is centered around being near material sources. For instance Quartzsite is a desert in terms of building materials so I did not do a lot of project work while there. Flagstaff however is pretty good so I have accomplished a lot there. Pahrump is pretty medicare, just a Home Depot that was often out of stock of the materials I needed.
I have kept the option of finishing on the road open, but I'm almost done. I'm going to push it out here at home and be done with it. I'm actually tired of building, so the sooner the better.

There are lots of seasonal jobs in Quartzite, AZ from late November until the 1st part of March. The National Parks then pick up for spring and summer seasonal work. But if you want to stay in your own camper at the parks it is best to apply early as those spaces are often limited in numer. Otherwise you have to stay in a dorm while in the park job or commute from a town. Housing is not part of the salary.