52 Mondays

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayble

Reaction score
Today is my 21st anniversary at my job, and my plan is to stick around for one more.

My anniversary date brings with it a fresh 4 weeks of vacation which rolls over if I don't use it, so one year from now I could have 8+ weeks of pay to cushion the transition.  I'll also turn 55 next year, so I'll be able to cash out my 401(k) without losing 10% off the top  (taxes yes, but no early withdrawal penalty).

52 more Mondays and I'm out :)  Suddenly the countdown seems real.

I have 9 until I'm done with my job, a summer off (laid off with unemployment) and then hitting the road in September. I only count the Mondays between now and the time I have left to work. It's gone slowly up until now, but two months suddenly doesn't feel very long when you know it's the last two months you'll ever be doing that job and working with those people...it's a little bittersweet sometimes.

I'm hoping for June of 2018 but not good at math... I just know it's more than 52 Mondays  :D  Enjoy the countdown!

51 :)
a couple more boxes filled, a bit more junk tossed out, a slightly larger path through the house
how and why did i accumulate all this stuff? 
how many coffee mugs does one person need?

mayble said:
a couple more boxes filled, a bit more junk tossed out, a slightly larger path through the house

LOL, same question I asked my beloved as we  to move to FL, I counted and we had 17 coffee cups!  She replied "well you have to have a lot when you have a dishwasher", ummm yeah, not 17. When we pack to head back to FL next year she's already said "no dishwasher, I'll get rid of all but 8".  Baby steps I guess.   :p

Try not to get into the habit of adding up how much all the crap you're ditching cost you initially, along that path lay madness, trust me!!

Queen said:
Try not to get into the habit of adding up how much all the crap you're ditching cost you initially, along that path lay madness, trust me!!

True dat!  Money is an abstract concept to me, so I don't get too hung up on it (for better or worse).  
Also, I've stopped wondering at the insanity of buying more things to "live simply".  Batteries and porta pottys come in, coffee mugs and knick-knacks go out :)  I truly am trying to pare down, despite what amazon and the ups driver might believe.

mayble said:
True dat!  Money is an abstract concept to me, so I don't get too hung up on it (for better or worse).  
Also, I've stopped wondering at the insanity of buying more things to "live simply".  Batteries and porta pottys come in, coffee mugs and knick-knacks go out :)  I truly am trying to pare down, despite what amazon and the ups driver might believe.

LOL!  When I got to know the UPS guy n a first name basis is when I realized I was taking my newfound "simplicity" too far.  It helped balance that with the local Hospice and Habitat resale places also knowing me on sight.

I've had an amazingly hard time getting rid of pots and pans I like that are good quality old enamel pans, but I really don't need 10 different pieces of cookware!!!

I'm down to 8 Mondays, including today, until the end of my job. Got the LED lights installed over the weekend and moved some of my excess hiking/backpacking gear that I'm not going to need this summer into the 5W.

Last time me and the ex moved, her clothes alone filled a Dodge Dakota to the bedrails
my 'car fixin' stuff took less room but was equally ridiculous, including parts for cars I no longer own
One of the thing I likle about living in a 20 foot TT is that things get cluttered real quick and you go 'oh, too much junk'

ArtW said:
Last time me and the ex moved, her clothes alone filled a Dodge Dakota to the bedrails
my 'car fixin' stuff took less room but was equally ridiculous, including parts for cars I no longer own
One of the thing I likle about living in a 20 foot TT is that things get cluttered real quick and you go 'oh, too much junk'

I'm 5'10" and fat, my 5' tall 100lb wife has four times the volume of clothing I have.  I just don't get the need for twelve pairs of jeans, 20 tshirts, enough dress clothes to choke a horse.

I own 3 pairs of pants, 3 work shirts, 3 sets of gym clothes, 2 T shirts, that gets me from laundry day to laundry day
I did at one time have a fair bit of clothes, but then started dreaming of a simpler life, and started down sizing, and tossing clothes was the easiest part :D

Just like they say about prison, don't think about how much time you have left, just live day to day and eventually one day it will be over.

Early withdrawal penalty 10% until age 59 1/2.    : (
Depending on circumstances it could be better to have 70% than to have 0%.
If you roll it over into an IRA you can take from it as you need it but it is available.  There are still penalties but only when you actually take it out.

Down to 50, and didn't accomplish a damn thing this week except chase after vans and get frustrated with salesmen.  I didn't think it would be so hard to find someone to take my money. 
I wasn't expecting to buy yet, but my bank dangled an offer I couldn't refuse.  Now I just have to find the right van.

Trebor English said:
Early withdrawal penalty 10% until age 59 1/2.    : (

Unless you leave your job after the 1st of the year in which you turn 55 - although at this point I'd give up that 10% before I'd give up another 4 1/2 years.  You can always make more money, but you can't make more time ;)

Felt the same way when we bought our truck, we knew exactly what we wanted and were willing to pay (a reasonable compromise between profit for them and a good deal for us), but they made it so difficult we walked away twice before we ended up buying elsewhere.

mayble said:

I'm the same way with money,  i've never really worried about it and I know i've wasted my fair share (and saved a fair share.)  Can't cry over would have's or should have's.  Gotta figure at the time I spent it, it was exactly what I had wanted.  Wants and needs change over a lifetime, thus so do your belongings.

mayble said:

I ask my wife that all the time. Got a new one for Christmas, we have larger mugs His (moustache) and Her (pink lip mark) then a bunch of random ones, including plastic travel mugs.

I have been using a 100ah battery exclusively to charge my kindle, phone, hotspot and laptop at home.  I get about a week out of it before I have to recharge.  Next on the agenda is a solar kit and a 12v frig.  I figure I may as well get a handle on my usage and needs now, while it's easier to make adjustments.   And it sure beats hypothetical math.  Some of those energy calculators remind me of junior high algebra.  
I'm surprised the utility companies haven't been out to check their meters.  Between my daughter moving out a few months ago and my downsizing and conserving, their revenues from my address are waaay down.