Looking for a compact fan to mount in a door

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down as an insulator is a poor choice in humid environments (I learned that the hard way in Alaska).  A better choice is synthetic fill that doesn't absorb water and loose its insulating value.
You might want to think about a quilt or blankets instead of another sleeping bag.  Just put it over your current bag when extra insulation is needed.

A former member, SternWake, wrote a couple of very detailed threads using computer muffin fans to ventilate his van.  You might want to search for his threads.
(Maybe someone who has better search skills than me can find them).

slow2day said:
Just buy a cheap second bag. Two bags will keep you toasty.

I have a XL Marmot synthetic bag that's rated at 15*, but I've never liked the way you have to sleep in your birthday suit for a synthetic bag to work properly.  I'm also not a huge fan of mummy bags because they're too cramped, even when they're XL.  

I also have an old fashion, and very old, flannel-lined bag.  One of those rectangular bags with the non-synthetic filler, that can be unzipped and used as a large comforter.  Maybe if I put the old bag over the synthetic bag, to simulate a warmer environment, it will be enough to get me through the colder nights.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Down as an insulator is a poor choice in humid environments (I learned that the hard way in Alaska).  A better choice is synthetic fill that doesn't absorb water and loose its insulating value.
You might want to think about a quilt or blankets instead of another sleeping bag.  Just put it over your current bag when extra insulation is needed.

A former member, SternWake, wrote a couple of very detailed threads using computer muffin fans to ventilate his van.  You might want to search for his threads.
(Maybe someone who has better search skills than me can find them).

Thanks!  Just last night I was discussing with my brother the shortcomings of using down in wet climates, because of their tendency to become soggy and useless if the moisture level is high.  

I was about to order this bag https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS75K8U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ADN9631RYBGI6&psc=1  , but the further into the reviews I get, the more bad reviews I find about the quality.  I guess that should be expected with such a low price.  
It is the design I like, though: Big, roomy and warm, with flannel on the inside.  

I've considered a heavy blanket or quilt, and may go that route, but given the age and condition of my current bag, I think it's time for a replacement/upgrade.  It's pretty ratty looking.  I do like the idea of layers, because other than this last month, it rarely gets this cold and wet in this part of California, so I really don't want to get the thickest, warmest bag I can find.

For less than $20 Walmart/Sam's Club has a fuzzy I believe foam inner comforter that is super warm and works well for me at 5' 10" as I can tuck it under the foot of my bag.

I'm 6'-4.5", but thanks, I plan to go to "MalWart" once Black Friday is safely past and gone and the insane crowds have found someplace else to congregate.  :p

in a cold damp climate wool blankets are often the best solution. Even when it gets damp wool will keep you warm. It also breathes! This is one of the reasons the military used wool blankets. You can still get army surplus wool blankets.

I'm not sure what the filler in my ancient, rectangular sleeping bag is, but I know it's not down, so the plan is to sleep in my Marmot 15 degree, synthetic bag and cover that with my old bag if it gets cold. I'll add a wool blanket to my shopping list for tomorrow though, thanks.

I'm hoping that running the 12V fan won't be necessary and I can get away with simply leaving a couple of windows open.

The idea of sleeping in a freezing breeze all night doesn't sound very pleasant.

It looks like just opening the sliding windows was enough...  No fan needed.  :cool:

I just spent the last week sleeping in my van, and only the inside of the windshield and a little bit of of the metal immediately above the sliding windows showed any signs of moisture.  No more drips from the ceiling (so far). 

I think the fan will be nice in the summer for moving air through the van on hot days/nights.

BigT said:
I'm in the SF Bay Area.  Lately in the East Bay in Newark, Ca., but it's been strangely humid lately, and we just got a huge storm with more rain coming this weekend. 
I was in Berkeley last January during the storms and had the condensation problem in my uninsulated van.  So I got those drying/dehydrating crystals (in the plastic container with a sieve type lid) which made a huge difference.  You can buy refill crystals when the first ones are saturated.

As AbNorm said, “DampRid” is one brand, sold at Home Depot. I think a search for “moisture absorbent” might get more hits.

Thanks! So far simply leaving a sliding window or two open seems to be working OK, though I would like to close them if I could.

Do the DampRid systems work if the van is closed up tight on a cold, damp night, or do you use them in combination with open windows and fans?

Lately I've been leaving the front (driver and passenger roll-down) windows down about two inches, instead of the the sliding, side windows in the doors. 
I have fabric covers over them, made of indoor/outdoor carpet, and they're not directly next to the bed, like the sliders are, so it's less breezy/chilly on my legs. 

Seems to be working OK so far. 

I'm glad I came here to confirm what was going on.  Water dripping from my ceiling and onto the bed was totally unacceptable.