24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wanderingsoul said:
^^ I think this is her property at 7:24

Edit:  wow, I did not realize how close Williams and Flagstaff are to the Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon Village is 25 miles from where I am camped. Raining where I am right now, much cooler than the last few weeks. People are of course celebrating the much needed rainfall.

I feel drained and there's not much going on over here. I'm staying inside most of the time but I think I'll be going to Yreka next week to negotiate with DMV.

Maki I have trees and a campsite you can use but it’s been in the 80s here.

Just got back from the transmission shop. They drove it and then they put in up on the rack and put it in gear. There was not a peep of a noise out of the tranny but there was a very slight noise coming from the engine. He said probably the timing chain (blah blah blah underload (?) blah blah) and not uncommon for a vehicle of that age and with that many miles. He said just ask your mechanic about it next time you're in there.

travelaround said:
Maybe time for another travel adventure now?

YES!

I really want to go back to the Olympic Peninsula and do it right this time.

Take more than 3 1/2 days to do it! I think 5-6 would have been perfect. I didn't have time to do all the trails or visit all the beaches. Or go up to Hurricane Ridge which probably would have had snow anyway, I think Aug/Sept is a good time to go up there.

I got my enhanced license today but it didn't come with the RFID blocking sheath it was supposed to. Probably gave my info away all the way from Olympia to Wenatchee. I'm going to go over to Office Depot, they have RFID blocking something. If not, I saw a cute RFID blocking wallet that you wear on a lanyard if you want on Amazon, it comes with that or a wrist strap. Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm really liking wearing a lanyard with my cards in it instead of carrying a wallet in a purse.

Camilla, I dont want to drive that far but do appreciate the thought and invitation. I will see you in Quartzsite this coming winter.

Wanderingsoul, just wrap you license in a piece of aluminum foil or put a foil liner in your wallet. I got a metal card case about 15 years ago before they started issuing cards with RFID chips in the USA.

I thought about that.  Actually, what I thought about was wrapping the cardholder on my lanyard that all the cards I use are in with heavy duty foil and then wrapping that with purple duct tape.

I bought a RFID wallet a few years back when I first realized this would be an issue... but I've never liked it a lot, and I like the idea of putting aluminum foil in my wallet. That just made me remember that the wallet I liked better probably burned in the fire.

I made it to the Grand Canyon today!  I plan to go back again on Monday and see some more of the historic buildings and take the shuttle bus ride out to more viewpoints. Then if I can snag a reservation slot I will go to the Desert View campground for a while. It is only $9.00 per night. No hookups and they only allow very small RVs and trailers as the sites are not large. It is 25 miles east of the Grand Canyon main village areas. So about a 50 mile drive from my current campsite.

Just hoping to find a few places to go to that will keep me in this Northern AZ area until the forest reopen without using up a ton of money on camping fees.

I saw an article on the front page oof the local paper that the Navajo Nation is thinking about holding a special session of the tribal leadership to consider reopening the tribal lands and camping at 50% capacity. That might help too as I  do want to head into Northern New Mexico in early fall. 

The park was not very crowded today. That likely has a lot to do with the Kaibab forest free camping being shut down. Plus I went on a weekday instead of the weekend.

What that your first time, maki?

We stopped real quick one year on our way from visiting my grandma in Northern Texas on our way to visiting
his grandma in San Diego. It was mind blowing. I don't remember if we turned up by Williams or Flagstaff.
I don't remember a lot about that trip, dad was driving and I was taking care of a baby and a toddler.

edit: What I do remember is falling in love with Santa Fe.

Th skies in Arizona will begin shedding tears in just a couple of days. The 20% chance of rain this next few days in Northern Arizona is increasing to 60 and 70 percent for the rest of the days in the 7 day forecast.
The monsoon season has begun!  I really want to get back to camping in the national forest areas. But thankfully for now I have a place to stay for at least a few more days before I need to think about moving elsewhere. maybe it will all workout without my having to drive a lot of hours, meaning about 5, to another area.

Warm but not too humid in Pennsylvania. Great sleeping weather because it cools down at night. 17 year cicadas singing to us all afternoon every day. Finding them in their shelves everywhere. God bless the nomads each and everyone.

It is likely to be 111 degrees here tomorrow... says my weather app. We're used to warm summer temperatures, but not quite that warm. I'll be inside, using my air conditioner, just like I am today. The following day I'll be going to Yreka, a two-hour drive each way. Great time for audiobooks.

My daughter is glamping her trailer space. Watered the lawn even... it looks green.... and got new chairs and lights for outside. They spend more time outside than I do. I've sat on my camp chair in my yard here - maybe just once in all the time I've been here. My trailer has an easy chair in it... so why go out there?

It's 101 here and 108 near Portland, OR where my middle daughter is. She says it's not too bad, but she's acclimated from living here for so many years. I'm still worried though. They ordered one of those portable a/c units from Amazon but it's not going to get there until Wednesday. I read on Reddit that there are none to be found in the stores down there. Last night I was seriously considering buying one here and taking it down to her. At least they have fans.

Day of frustration mostly. Started putting hinges on my cabinet doors and then realized I only have half as many as I need. I bought the hinges a couple of years ago. I am betting instead of counting individual doors, most of them are pairs, instead I just counted the number of openings and bought that many packages. If I was camped over by Flagstaff as I had planned to do this week, the hinge shortage would have been easily resolved in a quick, half hour, round drive  round trip to Home Depot. But it is a couple of hours of round trip drive time from where I am so it will have to wait.

Then  as I was already down on the floor I started cleaning the cabinet under the stove and noticed a  the fuel line bracket on the stove had the big grommet holding the line fittings come loose out of the bracket. That is another couple of  resolve as I have to remove the diesel stove/heater from the counter to get to that part. I will need to add some type of safety wire or some other solution to keep it from happening again. I just hope the fuel line is not leaking as that would be a special order part from the dealer in Seattle. Now I know what I will be doing tomorrow, the stove repair. I don't  want to worry over it but I will until I get it fixed, so it just jumped to the top of the list. Cabinet hinges are not a worry, they are a fairlly common type of hinge, spring loaded overlay, silver color.  I am very likely to find them in Flagstaff as there are a number of hardware stores in that town. I might even find them at the hardware store in Williams. I will check there on Monday or Tuesday.