24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Qxxx said:
Yeah, almost forgot. The corollary to what I said is that ... if the youngsters were to suddenly "stop" paying into the system today, then you and I would be getting "nothing" out tomorrow. That's the exact definition of a Ponzi scheme, in fact.
That is not the definition of a Ponzi scheme. A ponzi is defined as a non existent enterprise. The social security system does exist. However it can like other enterprises including governments become bankrupt and then  lack the funds to  make payouts.

It depends on which definition you decide to "choose". YMMV, meaning the entire world may not agree yer parficular choice of definition.

SS may actually be closer to a Pyramid Scheme, as it doesn't necessarily tout "huge" returns. That would be fraud, but SS is legal (cough, cough).
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/ponzischeme.asp
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pyramidscheme.asp

Either way, if the people at the bottom stop feeding in today , then the people at the top go hungry tomorrow.

SS is in the category of "retirement fund" There are many variations of those. It is not a pyramid or a ponzi.

While packing up the car it was feeling like I had not done any significant amount of downsizing this past month. But then I began clearing off the last of the stuff on the countertops in my travel trailer when I noticed the hold down straps that I had put in to constrain boxes of stuff and a big duffle bag of my clothes and realized I now don't need to strap anything down on top of them!

Well I had better get back to it and finish the job. I can put away this computer now that microsoft got done wasting my time with updates that it won't let get installed.

maki2 said:
SS is in the category of "retirement fund"  There are many variations of those. It is not a pyramid or a ponzi.
Call it whatever suits yer fancy. All three, ponzi, pyramid, and SS, collapse if the people at the bottom stop paying in.

I don't like talking about Social Security as mine doesn't make me feel secure. I will tell you how my day went instead. I asked Red Cross to stop sending me vegetarian food meals. I'd rather eat meat than live on just salads or random uncooked vegetables. I think a lot of people have no idea how to cook for vegetarians. So sorry, don't want to complain but need more sustenance. Don't worry, there's a Subway nearby and I went there for a cheese pizza. I've also nearly been depressed today but went for a long walk... maybe another 7000 steps. Came back in pain and took a nap. Didn't move the van even once today. Depression is because I may be in this hotel room all winter. It is freaking me out. Wanted to travel but have to stay to be at hand for property clean up issues and FEMA. Don't have any plan for the future. Trailers are being moved into Happy Camp but they are for the tribe members and people who need to be there and honestly, I am not one of them.

Could you not appoint someone or hire an attorney to use the internet to allow you to sign documents. We recently transferred a title through a title company and it was easy as long as you can face time or have good cell phone and internet. I’m in Utah, the buyer was in Arizona and the property was in Kentucky as was the title company. It is amazing what you can do nowadays. To me a hotel room would be a luxury and to many others, especially a free one. Start writing that book so others can learn from your experience, that should help your perspective. If nothing else set some personal goals and keep a good diary. Use you time well.

Travearound I hope things will get better for you soon. Remember teachers a couple of dozen friends here on the forum, if you need somebody. God bless the nomads especially travelaround

TravelA For sure some of the depression might be related to the diet situation. Go to the drugstore and get some chromium. That will help regulate your blood sugar. It is an important precursor for serotonin production as well. Mother nature's miracle anti depressant. Inexpensive, no prescription, not a drug. It takes the blues away over night. Of course it can't get rid of the stressors but at least it helps keep you from feeling quite so overwhelmed with sadness.

Food is important to be sure. If you don't have a fridge in your room bring in the one from your van. My dinner tonight was very simple, cherry tomatoes and a couple of low fat mozzarella sticks. Tomatoes are good at helping dampen down the I am hungry feelings as does a bit of dairy. It is a low in calories meal but has good vitamins and minerals. Good for days when cooking is not convenient. Eggs are another great food, low in calories, high in nutrients and protein, they keep your hunger satisfied and your energy up. For days when I don't want to cook I buy a package of already hard boiled and peeled eggs and keep them in my little fridge.

maki2 said:
TravelA  For sure some of the depression might be related to the diet situation. Go to the drugstore and get some chromium....
I'm a firm believer in supplements. I take 7 of them daily (a couple of them are doctor's order) and one of them is Chromium .
Now I wonder if my sunny mood -despite all the crap going around - is due to the supplements. Quite possible.

Hey Sofi, yer reminding me of the 70s. Life on Chems.

Thanks everyone; chromium is now on my shopping list. Will try to get some tomorrow. I'm drinking some carrot juice - maybe that will help me feel better. I'm going through some serious depression right now and I think that's part of PTSD .... which is a common thing for wildfire survivors who lost homes. I wonder if I'll ever be the same again. Being so suddenly transplanted from Happy Camp to Yreka without any warning or time to think about it - is really difficult. I've decided to go ahead and look for a new church here. I feel completely cut off from Happy Camp right now as there's no housing for me there and I definitely don't want to try living in my van there another winter. It is true the hotel room is a luxury and I should make the most of the opportunity, for as long as it lasts.

Cold this morning. I need to add hooking up my diesel fueled cooktop/heater this week's priority build task list.  Also making insulated window coverings needs to move up closer to the top of the build list.

But this morning I have shore power so my electric heater will soon take off the chill. 

Travel A, ....Living in a hotel room for one winter is certainly dooable. Warm, dry, clean, lots of hot water for bathing. TV to watch, stores around, a place to park. Not any more lonely than traveling solo on the road. Finding a church for spiritual uplift and friendship will make a big difference in mental health. But you will still be grieving for the loss of your home and  way of life. all those jobs of fixing up the place kept you occupied with productive activity and the satisfaction work can bring. You need to find a replacement for that to keep you sane or boredom will overwhelm you. Walking, reading and writing might not be enough. Maybe some volunteer work at the animal shelter or finding a dog walking job or two. Not too much Covid exposure when working with animals. Even a dog walking job would help keep you busy and give you dog companionship, give you exercise and bring in a few dollars. Specialize in senior dogs :)

I’m back by my beautiful pond in Lancaster County PA. and here I’m not only have short power but I have Wi-Fi. The man who owns the place is a good friend. Tomorrow is supposed to be rain all day. I don’t know why rain makes me so down when I live in a farm community and if we didn’t have rain we couldn’t survive and you folks out west sure need some rain to prevent those wildfires.

Travel around I use the dictation software to write my posts and so in my last post I said something about teachers it was supposed to be there are a couple of dozen people on this forum if you need help. It looks like you got some of that in the last several posts that I’ve been reading today

I’m between a rock and a hard place about staying till November. My relationship with my kids is not good and showing up at Thanksgiving would be a very positive thing. But that means I’ll be in the van in cold weather. And it also means that I’ll be mooching off of my friends to stay at their places with shore power for heat. It’s hard to make a decision which way to go. But I am thankful that I have a livable Vehicle and friends that are willing to host.

This sounds trivial compared to what others are going through but it really “bums me out”when I run out of threads to read and respond to on the forum. God bless all the nomads and give us the ability to see the positive when things seem negative.

My check engine light is on and I can't find my OBD reader. I am in panic mode as I turn the place upside down... : O

Finally cool and rainy here in Illinois! Hope it tamps down the allergies for a few days at least.

nature lover said:
This sounds trivial compared to what others are going through but it really “bums me out”when I run out of threads to read and respond to on the forum.
I think I get that, and must say I always enjoy your posts!  One thought (if you'll forgive my butting in):  It seems sometimes holiday gatherings don't play out the way we visualize.  Have you ever noticed how family members sometimes pick up and recite from old scripts, in spite of themselves?

Sofisintown said:
My check engine light is on and I can't find my OBD reader.  I am in panic mode as I turn the place upside down...  : O
Since you have a scanner, you probably know this better than I do, but for the record:  the check engine light usually is more about emissions and other systems than the engine; and, the codes point to systems (not specific parts), in spite of what AutoZone, et al. may tell you!

Hope it's next to nothing...!!

Most auto parts places will check it for you. If it happens to be an older Chevy you can get the codes to flash the check engine light just check internet for instructions. Most common code is an oxygen sensor in my experience which is usually intermittent. Newer cars if you run the car with the gas cap loose or leave it running while fueling will also set a code. At any rate just hit the parts store and ask them to check and reset the codes and see if it comes back.

nature lover:

I liked your plan to have a Sourthernly adventure until Thanksgiving, then return north for that holiday, then head for Florida. So South Carolina for awhile, maybe? Maybe you could follow the fall folliage til it runs out, staying nearer the coast and lower elevations?

Latest posts