24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I tell you I think my cat was spotted 51 days after the fire? This is the first time I've had any indication that he survived the fire. One cat was rescued and I let her be adopted by a woman in Redding. The other has been missing all this time - but a friend photographed him, or a cat that looks exactly like him, across the street from my home on October 28. I went to Walmart and bought cat things! I'm going back to Happy Camp tomorrow, to look for him! Tonight is my last night in the hotel.

Robie last June.
robie.jpg

Probably Robie on October 28.
robie.png

Attachments

• robie.jpg
    robie.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2
  • robie.png
    robie.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 4
My late start getting on the road worked out OK. I made it to  my mailbox service just a couple of minutes before they closed so that eent OK. Dropped of a small birthhday gift at my fprmer workshop space for my friend. he was not there but has a discrete place outside for peopleb to drop off small things.

I was not looking forward to the drive down I-5 and then out to the coast, especially after dark, but it went great, zero traffic crawls or slowdowns. good roads the whole way . I had some trouble trying to find my camp site in the dark as there are no lights out here. But it turned out to be a huge site,  with a big wide and long paved drive so I just pulled straight in and left it hitched up. I will turn it around tommorow when I can see what I am doing.  I can hear waves out there, looking forward to my walk on the beach tomorrow.
 I will do  some work while I am here but plan to spend more time enjoying the location than time wortking unless it gets too rsiny outside..  i have heard from severall people that this is the nicest state park in WA State. Liitle tiny town just up the road so I will be able to mail stuff and buy hardware and basic groceries. Here for 4 nights or perhaps more if I can get a spot that is not taken and has electrical hookup.

Another perfect autumn day in the high desert. 40F at night and 75F daytimes. Sunny and not a cloud in the sky. Smoke from summer wildfires is gone. Humidity at 30%, and 50 mile views. Voila. Scrambled eggs, bacon, and coffee for breakfast. Yumm.

Nice here also, the last of our 2 weeks of fall at Lake Powell, 70’s in the day time and 50’s at night, by next Monday upper 40’s in the day and upper 20’s at night with lots of wind. Water temps cooling off so fish are coming into the shallow water. Life is good but “Winter is coming”!

TA:

Wonderful news re Robie. I'll put him on my prayer list that you and he are reunited tonight!

Laundry day...not much excitement in watching clothdes spin in the dryer. But fortunaetly there were a few colorful ones to make more of an artistic swirling perpetual motion machine. Ok not really perpetual, it just feel like it when waiting at a laundromat. A very grey day in Grayyland, a bit soggy and breezy.

Some Mushroom hunters just came by and grabbed their treats right in my campsite area. Lots of mushrooms at the park. Tney were harvesting Giant Boletes. It is approaching the end of mushroom season but they sure are plentiful in thids campground.  Even though it is rainy and soggy I am enjoying it for its own special flavor that will be very different tnan the desert and of cours e also the changes in vegetation as I move through different locations. The tree here are totally different than at my last campsites. Travelaround..there is a yurt in view out my window, there are lots of them at Grayland Beach State Park.

Beautiful and sunny the election day, so after taking care of my civic duties, I insulated the wheel wells in my van with a flexible closed cell foam  with reflective material both sides. It's 1/4 inch - from Amazon.
Then I covered them with automotive carpet, which it feels like also has some insulating properties.
So it was a good day, today!
IMG_20201103_162304294s.JPGIMG_20201103_163208686s.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_162304294s.JPG
    IMG_20201103_162304294s.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201103_163208686s.JPG
    IMG_20201103_163208686s.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 7
Someone croaked in my campsite tonight. I guess it is not yet so cold thaat it has to burrow below groung for winter. I bet this place gets noisy in spring when tadpoles are hatching. There is a lot of marsh and dune grass here with depressions where water lingers after the rains. I read the mosquitos can be an issue but I have not seen any so it must be too cold for them. But it is not a cold night, still in the lower 50s as there is a lot of cloud cover and it is not a cold front moving through.

When I saw "Someone croaked in my campsite tonight", I thought one of your neighbors died, and you are just reporting the event ever so casually.
Glad that nobody's dead...  :s     ( ͡x ͜ʖ ͡x)

"I thought one of your neighbors died"

I thought that, too, and was worried re "not yet so cold thaat it has to burrow below," thinking: must be routine burial procedure for cold climates?

Wednesday morning coffee time. Just another day in the neighborhood.

I am sure thst frog is well hydrated and hsppy today, Pacific NzW Coastal weather going on, rainy and windy. I won't  be going out to the beach or driving around playing tourist. Good day for working on projects inside my warm and cozy space. As I am pluugged into shore power I have plenty of heat and lights.

My Verizon signal is only showing one bar but I am having no trouble with speed or dropped signal and can watch videos too. It might have to do with not a lot of people in this area creating a lot of traffic on the tower. When I was camped Port Townsend one bar was unusable strength but that was an area with lots of houses as well as a campground.

Woof. Just out doing some work in the van for 3 hours. Over 90F in there, and sweating like a fiend. I guess autumn hasn't quite fallen as yet. So much for living in a place that gets 320 days of sun a year.
- HDQ, High-Desert Q.

If weather here in PA was like today, every day I would never go to Florida. Upper 60s almost 70 no wind no clouds in the sky absolutely beautiful. I’m getting excited and apprehensive about this trip to Florida. I got the van totally tuned up new points plugs wires condenser the works new state inspection which lasts a year. I am still apprehensive about traveling that far without much of a reserve fund. If I do have a problem I’m gonna have rely on begging friends to get out of trouble. I think I’m going set up a small monthly gift to HOWA starting this week. It won’t be a big one, might just be $10 a month but if I run into trouble I’ll feel better having been a contributor asking for help from anyone. I will avoid asking for help from someone like HOWA as much as possible relying on friends if I can. But I still think the right thing to do is start giving a little bit every month. It seems like gods economy works I’m willing to give her to get help when they need to be receivers. I look Like I could skip a meal or two anyhow. The ten-day forecast is calling for rain starting next Wednesday and Thursday so maybe I’ll delay my leaving. I am still waiting on some packages from Amazon too. God bless the nomads and keep their wheels turning safely.

I also rely on 2 friends to help me out of bad situations. Bank of America and Chase credit cards.

grayland beach.jpg
photo time, I know some people enjoy seeing them.
my campsite at Grayland Beach State park on the Washington Pacific Coast . I am really enjoyed this fall day which had some dry time for hiking on trails. The trees in the coastal area have a special magic with all the twist and turns in them that the wind creates. As you can see by the photo I was not at all crowded into a tight spot with a lot of other people staring into my campsite. The bathrooms with very hot showers are very close to my site which is convenient.
mushrooms.JPG
Also a photo of the basket full of mushrooms gathered by one of the pickers who comes for the day just to pick them. There is a 2 gallon limit, I would say this picker bagged her limit in next to no time. Several varieties of edibles in there.

Attachments

• grayland beach.jpg
    grayland beach.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 9
  • mushrooms.JPG
    mushrooms.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 12
There is a howling good party going on during quiet hours tonight. Appatently they are not aware of the rules regarding quiet hours starting at 10pm. 

One nice thing about this campground,  there is a  background white noise audio system running 24/7 so those late night party animals are not too bothersome to someone who is trying to sleep.

But now that croaker has joined in with the other party animals. Guess I should mix myself a drink and go out and join in the fun since I am still awake.

travelaround said:
....A quonset hut could make a good dwelling... but I love the look of the very burnable yurt with a plastic roof! LOL
I had a 40X100 quonset barn by Sunward Buildings out of North Dakota. Cost was less than $20K delivered and we put it together. An indestructible building, for sure survived everything in a quite severe climate including fires. During the fire the contents burned including a 100 pound propane bottle, but the building was just fine, and decades later it is still standing.  I would buy another Sunward building if I had the need.
~crofter