24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip on the lights MAKI2. I have been making do with Harbor freight lights and of course they’re cheaply made I might bite on The Home Depot ones. Thanks again.

highdesertranger said:
reminder,  don't respond to posts that break the rules and don't quote them.
If posts that violate rules are removed then no one could respond to them.

I have seen many such posts left for  hours and days.. months in some cases, while the responses to those posts are removed.

I understand that mods aren't here 24/7, but several DO come in often and pick over the newly posted items. There are not many posts occuring per day and so I don't see why posts that violate rules are left up for such a length of time.

Its like no mod cares about the initial violating post until it snowballs.

Ofc the flagging of a post is available but dubious action is taken at best.

Not trying to pick on moderation here, but no one can respond to a post if it is removed..don't blame and threaten the users for commenting on it.

Just saying...

"next person that posts something that is even remotely political is going to get...."

Could you just spank me instead, LOL!

nature lover said:

"emotionally separating myself from this area"

It is only a temporary separation to enable you to have adventures in places you have not been before. You will return home when the weather warms up and be in a better frame of mind for having traveled...plus you will have more things to share in conversations.

Hello from Happy Camp.. lovely sunny day but this morning I saw snow flurries ... so cold but I'm handling it okay. Still in town and heard a RV space may be open now.. but no trailer to go into it yet. Would like to get set up there then take a vacation to somewhere warm!

GypsyJan said:
Could you just spank me instead, LOL!
Good one, jan. You know HDR is somewhere in central Oregon, if he's not left to go south yet, just in case yer in the area.

travelaround said:
. lovely sunny day but this morning I saw snow flurries ... so cold but I'm handling it okay.
We did get a couple of inches of snow here last night and temps today are only just above freezing. Too cold to work in the van.

I barely keep up with any current events including the big P events. Even more so now that I am nomadic. But I suppose I do need to keep up with the Covid restrictions in case areas I need to travel into or through get restricted for travel and/or camping. Plus of course things like road closures, wildfires, etc.

Have the 12 volt outlets on the drivers side of my travel trailer now operational except for the onee on the exterior ny the rear entry door. I had to go to a different small town today about 7 miles away as the hardware store here was closed for Sunday.

Guess I will hang out at this campground on thrubMonday night so I can get my diesel stovetop/heater running. Then get to work on the 12v outlets on the passenger side. Those are right at my desk so will be getting a lot of use as a charging station area plus an occasional use of a small inverter. I dont have a huge house battery system or solar panel,  so no running power hungry 120v devices off my  house battery.

I won't bother with hooking up the 12v cabin  hardwired and switched lights right now, they can wait until I am in Arizona. I have plenty odpf rechargeable and battery LED lights so no hurry.  The sun is down now, time to fix a meal and clean up some of the mess I made today. Then get orders from my Etsy store ready to ship out in the morning. I need to download another audio book to keep me vompany tonight.

Looks like I will be staying at this campsite a few more days. I just found out I am out of inventory on some kits and orders have come in for more of them. Good thing I lingered an extra day as camping with electric would have been a lot more expensive for me in Oregon or California. In Washington state parks I can camp for free and choose to have a site with utilities for a $10.00 fee. Well worth it for the convenience of not having to run my generator all day and at night plus heat with diesel fuel.

Qxxx said:
We did get a couple of inches of snow here last night and temps today are only just above freezing. Too cold to work in the van.
I dug out all my snuggies so I am comfy in fleece layers, evening temp is 58 degrees with a ripping wind in southern AZ.  -crofter

nature lover said:
....what color of thong I have to buy to swim in Florida with....
Spoken like a true minimalist, but beware. I once bought a minimalist suit for ladies, and while swimming laps something popped loose. Good thing they make really big beach towels. Now I use a suit with a lot more fabric in it. -crofter

Crofter. I really don’t need to wear a suit at all because my belly hangs down far enough that nobody can see my suit or anything else.

nature lover said:
Crofter.    I really don’t need to wear a suit at all ...
That's even more minimalist, but might not be legal everywhere. 65 degrees and sunny in southern AZ. I discovered a great recepie for shrimp, saute with a lot of garlic and throw in some leftover rice and veg. Simmer in the pan juices, makes an awesome dish. Yum. -crofter

Cold but sunny in Yreka. Looking for a place to rent or.. at least a hotel room tonight.. maybe will go to Mt Shasta or Dunsmuir. Laundry must be done. I'm going to make a master list of all products I use in vanlife and stock up on what I need and have room for.

We been using Airbnb instead of motels and are really pleased with extra clean cheap places to stay if you use their highest rated and recommended offerings.

What about the state parks travelaround? Does California have discount passes for seniors? That might get you a place to stay where there are showers.

I am truly grateful for the Washington state parks senior off season pass. It is a one time cost for the pass but after that the camp site is free unless you want electric in which case it is $10 per night. I can stay in the same park for 20 days. They don't care if you don't have a conventional RV. Vans and cargo trailer are accepted.

I am camped right near the restroom shower so I try to go in right after the cleaning crew leaves, that means very little risk of acquiring Covid or any other type of sickness. Plus of course I also have access to potable water and a dumpster for my trash. This is working way better and for a lot less money than an RV park or motel.

This week I could also have picked up a work camping job right next to the tallest lighthouse in WA state. Free site with untilities for some very easy to do work. But I do want to go south for the winter.

westport lighthouse.jpg
Those RVs next to the Westport lighthouse in on the Pacific Coast in WA state are where the work campers stay. Some of them work at the lighthouse facility, one person up in the lantern room area and another down on the ground. But some of the work campers also work at the Museum in town. the lighthouse and museum are privately owned by the county non profit historical society. The lighthouse and musuem open year around and are not currently closed by Covid 19. Social distancing rules are of course required as is mask wearing for staff and visitors. The lighthouse is in the town of Westport so there is shopping, laundry, post office, bank, etc.But also lots of activities such as hiking, beachcombing, fishing, clamming and more.

Adjacent to this lighthouse there is a lot of parking where you can stay overnight. That is because there is walk in tent camping in the state park that adjoins the light house property so the parking on the street is not restricted from overnight parking. It is not an RV campground but it will work just fine for Van dwellers who are not setting out generators or putting out lawn chairs, etc. Of course you can just drive down the block to the day use area of the park and do that kind of stuff there and then move out to the street after dusk when the day use area closes. You can even walk out to the beach and have a campfire out there or at a tent site when there is no burn ban on.

Attachments

• westport lighthouse.jpg
    westport lighthouse.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 4
Pouring down rain tonight and I am working inside. I had to spread water based adhesive on my cutting mats and get it to dry. With high humidity already in place, no way around that with this kind of rain, I resorted to using my windows as my dehumidifiers. Soak the water up off them with a paper towel and toss the paper towel into a ziplock for reuse later on as a wet wipe. It worked out just fine, the adhesive did get dry and I did get a stash of wet wipes too ;)

But I think I need a gutter system on my solar panel if I were to stick around for the winter. It was dumping a big stream of water onto my sliding windows. The track did not overflow to the inside but it had me pretty concerned that it could happen. Or of course I can add those rain caps at the tops of the windows and that would redirect the stream of water coming off the roof away from the windows. But for now I am OK and so far have never had the sliding window channels overflow. There are a few other options I could use to redirect the water, but in doing so I have to be very careful not to create a different issue with redirecting it elsewhere such as having it come inside over the roof rim of the popup top opening. Plus the more things you put on the sides of a vehicle or roof the more wind drag issues you create.

Another day has dawned revealing some blue sky between clouds. A nice change from yesterday..

Not going to be a travel day, it is a work day for my business income. But at least I am in a lovely location while I do it and. can take a break for a walk on the beach. Arizona is not going anywhere, I will still get there, hopefully by Thanksgiving.

I am thinking of having Turkey Mole for my  T-day dinner.   I love the dark, spicy, choclate version of Mole. But doing a long slow simmer is not easy with my kitchen setup so I will need to buy the Mole sauce ready made. Of course I wont be buying a whole turke as I I am not feeding a crowd and my fridge is pretty small in size.

Good morning. Enjoyed reading about your adventure Maki. I'd love to take off and go inhabit a state park right about now. Instead am considering how to feed cats in the rain without food being rained on. Hmmm. There's a 5 gallon bucket on my property that didn't burn... I could put it on it's side and put food in there?

I'm back in Happy Camp... had to return because a friend had a medical emergency... she went in the ambulance to Yreka's hospital and since I was already in Yreka I offered to take her home... 2 hour drive on the River highway at 12am to 2am... we saw 23 deer... it is a deer year... passed no other cars in all that time until nearly back to Happy Camp. I was going only 35mph at the most because of ? deer safety... they inhabit the night. We had a nice visit along the way.

So, back among ruins and no shower. My daughter offered me one in her RV.