24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the sort of thing I use in the desert, but I wouldn't care to cover up a field of ash with it.

You mentioned camping in the desert, so that's what I was talking about...using a piece of astro turf when camping there. But, I just dont see how a 6x8 piece of astroturf could cover up a field of ash.

If you figure it out, let us know.

It’s cold and windy in PA. Low tonight to be 34 but with the wind it supposed to feel like in the 20s. The wind has been blowing so hard my van is rocking. (That is the only way my van rocks). The things that go bump in the night include the limb that hit my fiberglass Roof. It didn’t come through but I’m not going out in this weather to see how much damage it caused. I have a friend arriving tomorrow morning to take me out to breakfast again. I’m going to miss that guy. At this point I’m still planning to head south on the 11th and take a month to get to Florida. Unless my wife and her divorce court change things. You probably get sick of hearing it but I love that woman. What’s done is done and she says I am done. So I am planning on running off with beautiful 18-year-old twins that I met at church. Problem is they do not know about it yet, I have not asked them yet. But considering that I’m a short, fat man with a big bald spot and a long straggly beard, Who lives in a 1998 van down by the pond, I’m sure they’ll go right along with the idea. What beautiful woman would not want a prize like me.;););). God bless the nomads each and every one of us

Nature...Isn't it great that you are having feelings of love for more than just one woman in a lifetime and in your case more than one at a time :)

It is a good reminder that you are still alive and having some fun.

I did get some of the electrical wiring done in the converter panel today, the three 110v circuits are now wired into the and the 12v primary ground wire and input coming from the cutoff switch that is wired to the house battery. A couple of days worth of wiring left to do minus the over head lights circuits which can't be finalized until after I put up the vinyl headliner on the ceiling.

I will be in a mad rush tomorrow morning to get all packed up and on the road, that will take several hours at least. Sure wishing I did not have to stop off in Seattle but I need to pickup some things. Poor planning on my part.

Tx2sturgis and Qxxx - If a 6 x 8 piece of Astroturf isn’t big enough to cover your “ash” yours must be as big as mine.;/. Of course you could dig a large hole and shovel all of the ash in there and then you would have a large ash hole. This sure has been a very difficult post to dictate to my machine somehow it gets the spelling wrong.;)

Time to pack up and get hooked up so I can do the my first leg of my snowbird heading south migration journey which distance wise is as much west as south with no change in temperature. When I wake up tomorrow morning it will be to the sound of seagulls and I can take the path across the dunes to a long sandy beach along the Pacific ocean.

The sun sets at 5 today, a total outrage !!! It feels like it was only yesterday that 5 was in the afternoon instead of being the start of night time. I must be in some crazy time warp fold of the universe.

Notice to all men who worry about bald spots or baldness in general - quit worrying. It looks good on men. I think bald men look awesome. Usually. However, on women, not so much. I've lost so much hair in the last 2 months I'm going to have to start wearing hats. Stress does that to me. I am guessing it is stress.

Good news! I was approved for FEMA and now have enough to build something. I want a yurt but don't know yet if the county will allow me to build one there. I would get a 24' or 30' yurt from http://yurts.com - their yurt builder is so much fun to play with. There are yurts around Happy Camp in the woods - but none in the neighborhood I live in.

The money has to be spent for building or buying another home. It cannot be used for other things and they will check back and request for it to be returned if I spend it on the wrong thing.

Ya I love the yurt builder on that site.. it IS fun and it is nice to see the cost increases as I add a feature..I hope we are all still active here so we can see what you end up with on the yurt. 

I am glad things are falling into place for you ta. Stay safe and warm!

Rate for you TA. Hope your plans work out. One of my boys said he always wanted to live in a yurt then we couldn’t stick him in the corner when he was bad.

TA:

Would you have enough warning to deconstruct the yurt in case of another wildfire? Maybe a small stone house instead? Or a metal garage with laundry room and bathroom in which you could park your van and trailer when not on the road?

My Bluetti AC200 was delivered last week. Today was nice and warm, and I build 2 shelves. One, pretty hefty to hold the Bluetti (which is quite heavy at 56 pounds), and the other to be my night stand with a top that flips open,  with hinges.
So a good day after all. :)

travelaround said:
The money has to be spent for building or buying another home
I realize this is an off the wall idea, but I wonder if someone could build something akin to a crop irrigation system that would run water down the roof and walls in case of a fire. Rain water could be collected over time and stored in a big tank. Naw, it'd never work.

Another cool night in Pennsylvania but the wind has died down a little. The eagle poops tomorrow so the van goes in the garage for some more work. Counting eight days till takeoff on the snowbird trail to Florida. Somebody Hass to get on board our Haiku.

writing this posting while on board a ferry jpheading into Seattle. Just got a knock on my window by a ferry worker. He wanted to know about my trailer as he also  owns a Honda EIement and would love to have a trailer.mI was la tr getting out of the campground today, it was one of those days when you are outside so everyone wants to stop and chat.

Travelaround I would strongly suspect that FEMA will have to follow the national building codes for a minimum size square footage home that also  meets energy, health, fire codes etc. There would be a huge political backlash  and many lawsuits if they allowed alternative housing that did not meet those codes. A yurt does not meet those codes. But if you site the house just right then you could rent that small house to family and put up a yurt (with some landscape privacy screening) paid for by the rental income.

GypsyJan said:
Would you have enough warning to deconstruct the yurt in case of another wildfire? Maybe a small stone house instead? Or a metal garage with laundry room and bathroom in which you could park your van and trailer when not on the road?

No... I'd probably lose the yurt if there was another fire, but as of right now there aren't enough fuels left in the area to support another firestorm. I guess that could change in a few years.

My daughter's idea for homebuilding is like yours - use bricks!! I suggested poured concrete with a metal roof. But for practical purposes I want something inexpensive to build... and a yurt would be that plus I believe it would give me joy.

A quonset hut could make a good dwelling... but I love the look of the very burnable yurt with a plastic roof! LOL

Qxxx said:
I realize this is an off the wall idea, but I wonder if someone could build something akin to a crop irrigation system that would run water down the roof and walls in case of a fire......

Good idea but it could take a genius with a big budget! The yurt I'd buy would have the water catchment feature, to collect roof rainwater.

maki2 said:
I would strongly suspect that FEMA will have to follow the national building codes for a minimum size square footage home that also  meets energy, health, fire codes etc.

I'd be building it, not FEMA - but as of right now I don't know if they have restrictions on using the money for a yurt rather than a more traditional American type of structure. I'll have to research that. I definitely don't want them asking me to return the money after I've spent it.