24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting tomorrow night the temperature here in Tusayan AZ is dropping into the upper 30s. Guess It is time to start sorting and packing and thinking about heading a ways further west on interstate 40.

It never did get actually warm feeling outdoors today as it was rainy and stayed overcast. I finally got up and drove into the National park and had a late lunch of hot Pizza. By the time I got back to camp at 3:30 my battery was topped back up to 100%. My 12v fridge was not needing to turn on very often with this small cold front here all day.

After lots of needed rain woke up to 58 degrees and mid 70’s during the day with lots of clouds which are suppose to clear out tomorrow here at Bullfrog Utah. Saw a posting of a possible tornado sighting near Williams Arizona and radar showed some severe storms earlier but everything seems to be headed to Colorado and New Mexico tonight.

Glad I was not camping in Williams AZ today! That tornado damaged 8 homes in a subdivision just north of town.

There is dispersed NFS camping not very far NE of Williams.

Oh boy... tornados can’t be that common there are they?
Waiting for clinic to open for my pre op...
Williams AZ. gets plenty of Monsoon season thunderstorms which is what spawned it. But I do not think tornadoes are frequent there.

I have seen a few dust devils while camping near Williams.

Summer vacation is over. Holiday season is here. No more time to for lazy weeks until after January. God bless the women who love to do crafts and decorate for the holidays! October 1st is the start of the holiday season for them which means more work hours for me.

Leftover Pizza for lunch! Plenty of solar this week other than losing some hours of daylight to the seasonal changes.

Idle hands are the tools of the Devil! Lol!!!
Fortunately I am not the devil’s hand maiden. So I say to the devil with all devils 😇 even if they come in the guise of frogs who understand English.

Bulldog as you will see in the video my hands are indeed idle quite a lot of the time! Principle of work smarter, not harder.
Trial posting to see if video will upload part of the activity I am busy with this afternoon. Just a few seconds worth of cutting, accurately to thousandths of an inch, walls, roofs and such for very tiny cardstock houses. Impossible to do it that accurately by my all too flawed human hands.
View attachment IMG_0407.MOV

Last edited:
Getting colder here at higher elevation tab night. Getting cooler in the day time in Pahrump. Time to sort, do what downsizing makes sense and start the packing up process. Transition time from summer camp territory into fall camping areas.

Food cupboard is also starting to get empty which is good as that means less weight to tow.

Not an exciting day, laundry and showers reopened inside the National Park so that is on the list of todos as is dropping mail into the out box at the post office. After chores are done, perhaps I will go out to one of the Canyon Rim viewpoints I have not been to before and bask in the beautiful experience of admiring the wonder of the Grand Canyon.

Getting colder here at higher elevation tab night. Getting cooler in the day time in Pahrump. Time to sort, do what downsizing makes sense and start the packing up process. Transition time from summer camp territory into fall camping areas.

Food cupboard is also starting to get empty which is good as that means less weight to tow.

Not an exciting day, laundry and showers reopened inside the National Park so that is on the list of todos as is dropping mail into the out box at the post office. After chores are done, perhaps I will go out to one of the Canyon Rim viewpoints I have not been to before and bask in the beautiful experience of admiring the wonder of the Grand Canyon.
I don't mean to be a downer or anything, or political ... but there are a lot of news reports about food shortages coming up ... lots of news about over 100 food distribution and manufacturing plant fires (whatever that mean, you interpret) ... so at least make certain you have dried beans and rice on hand to cover for a few weeks, at least. Better to have food and manage a little extra weight. All of the grocery stores are on a "just in time" delivery system - meaning 3 days of supply on the shelf. This is not enough if we experience supply shortages. Better safe than sorry.

Ben, best wishes for speedy healing.

Thanks... hoping to feel better in the morning... they gave me a block. I can’t even move my fingers. Had to laugh, the report says something about donated tissue... no wonder my arm is dead weight. My hand really is idle!
Good friends put me up here in Duluth...

Keep Calm and Carry On. A motto from WWII in Great Britain when and where there actually was food rationing needed to keep people with a prepper mindset from hoarding it. Some stores during the Covid food panic also had to ration out things such as bread, flour and paper products because of the panic buying.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be a downer or anything, or political ... but there are a lot of news reports about food shortages coming up ... lots of news about over 100 food distribution and manufacturing plant fires (whatever that mean, you interpret) ... so at least make certain you have dried beans and rice on hand to cover for a few weeks, at least. Better to have food and manage a little extra weight. All of the grocery stores are on a "just in time" delivery system - meaning 3 days of supply on the shelf. This is not enough if we experience supply shortages. Better safe than sorry.
Wow, sorry if what I wrote sent you into panic mode on my behalf!

Not to worry, I just bought new jars of peanut butter and jelly and a loaf of bread. Road trip food! Had a sandwich right in the parking lot inside my car while my laundry was in the dryer.

For those curious about the fires in food processing plants, please read this article in the link below. Just like fires in kichens being a pretty common type of fire due to cooking activities so to are fires in food processing plants. It has no relationship at all, nor is it indicative of any potential wide spread food crisis shortages developing.

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Resea...and-Analysis/Dispatches/Food-Processing-Fires

Wow, sorry if what I wrote sent you into panic mode on my behalf!

Not to worry, I just bought new jars of peanut butter and jelly and a loaf of bread. Road trip food! Had a sandwich right in the parking lot inside my car while my laundry was in the dryer.
It's never a bad idea to have 30-ish days of long term storable food on hand. It's a really good idea to have a gravity-fed water filter with the food. You don't have to go full-on doomsday prepper, but a bit of planning never hurts, and if you aren't picky it's not too difficult to fit a LOT of calories into a 5-gallon bucket. Pack some multi-vitamins in there along with the water filter and you are golden in case of emergency. An ounce of prevention vs. a pound of cure an all that... With politics, wildfires, weather, earthquakes, epidemics/pandemics, and the general uncertainty that seems to permeate the world right now a bit of preparation only makes good sense.

The world doesn't have to be ending, even local emergencies can throw things into disarray. A small amount of foresight and preparation can make an enormous difference in your health and comfort.

Do not worry about me. I am not doing remote camping. I am also well educated in emergency planning having lived in Alaska, New Orleans as well as in Earthquake country. As a school kid we had tornado drills and even nuclear attack drills. Plus all those fire drills and firemen who come into elementary school classes to tell kids what to do at home if there is a fire and what to do in thunderstorms. Oh did I mention my last sticks and bricks location I lived in for more than a dozen years also had Tsunami sirens and escape routes?

Last edited: