24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Qxxx said:
In that case, you did the right thing. I can't remember the last I actually made a buck. Fading memories.

In my case, I've now paid off the van, and am totally debt free. All I need now is for this country to get some smarts, and get covid under control, then I will feel better about traveling. Europe did it, after all. Who knew they were so smart. Finally, some of the local people are starting to wear masks. It used to be about 1 in 100 or less, now it's maybe 1 in 20 or less.
All citizens of Washington state are under a mandate to wear a mask when in public with a very few exceptions. The penalties are pretty stiff if you don't. But naturally there will be resistors.

Sadly it is difficult to be able to get a true picture of history. The huge amount of research and study required to fact check recorded history isn’t promoted by government funding and therefore educational institutions. I really enjoyed growing up in the age of Ken Burns projects and many other scientific studies which now have become so politically charged due mainly in my opinion to the lack of education in the general public. It is a shame most have become so focused on economics we forgot the lessons history teaches so well and how important history is in daily life.

Personally, we've been wearing masks on our very, very few excursions since recovering in March.  Currently, we are under a state-wide mask mandate in Dallas County, where we are in the midst of an alarming surge (20 deaths here yesterday).  The state has approximately 10,500 current hospitalizations (not cases) last I heard.  To our detriment, IMO, we got caught up in a political power struggle between local and state officials.  (I won't go into that here.)  My take is that we must manage the health crisis before our economic picture can be effectively addressed, and I feel we have lost significant ground in both arenas here.  It floors me to drive past a gym with a full parking lot when I pick up my grocery orders!

If anyone is thinking of traveling thru the Ohio Valley we're in for a heat wave in the next week or so.   The temps were coming down when I took this photo.  Fortunately today it has only been 50% humidity, but thru the rest of the week it may be pushing 90%. (it gets hard to breathe outside then)

July_15_20_110_F.jpg

It's usually around high 80's to lower 90's here at this time of year, but the killer is the 90+ humidity. And sometimes that's up closer to 100%. It is like a wet steam sauna. We're all checking on our old folks to make sure they stay hydrated, that their A/C works....or get them to where there is A/C.

I think it goes without saying that those living in their Rigs (of any kind) should be checked on if only by txt each other.

VanFan said:
 It floors me to drive past a gym with a full parking lot when I pick up my grocery orders!
One begins to wonder if there is any hope at all for this country. Studies indicate that 25-50% of carriers are symptom free. I'm not sure what they're doing, but reports keep saying that treatments in hospitals are better now, but it's not due to having any therapeutic medicines. So what?

In the high 90s this week in JG City, but low humidity and cool nights and mornings.

It is verified - even though the world seems strange right now, weather is still happening.

I'm here at 8:02am Pacific time and grateful to be alive another day. I feel like that almost every morning.

Today I'm going to use an external webcam for the first time. I bought it for the family Zoom meetup later this month and hope it will suffice. My laptop's webcam was pathetic.

travelaround said:
 the world seems strange right now ... grateful to be alive another day. I feel like that almost every morning.
Yer comment reminds me of Hendrix, but probably not on yer list. Hang in there.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jimihendrix/purplehaze.html

[font=Verdana, Arial]... lately things don't seem the same,[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]... 'scuse me while I kiss the sky.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]... don't know if it's day or night,[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]... is it tomorrow or just the end of time?[/font]

Was 95 the other day, humidity was 7%.

Nights have been mostly 50s and 60s. Its much easier to deal with warmer temps when the humidity is low and nights cool off nicely.

I spray down the porch and board sidewalk for the dog, she then lays on it and cools off nicely, often lays down flat, not even panting. I take her to may in the irrigation ditch, she lays in it and gets as flat in the water as she can, with her face even in it. The water is very cold, it comes from a mountain creek, which runs from snowmelt about 6 or 7 miles away.

Malamute said:
Was 95 the other day, humidity was 7%.

Nights have been mostly 50s and 60s. Its much easier to deal with warmer temps when the humidity is low and nights cool off nicely.
You, me, and TA have found 3 of the good places, but of course there must be several 100 in the US west. Seek and ye shall find.

On your laptop built in webcam, could you check for a driver update ? (possibly in the laptop manufacturer's website)

If the width of field isn't wide enough with that webcam, Dollar Tree has had these wide angle lens adapters for cell's.
They look like a small plastic clothes pin with a lens built into one side. Just clip it on. (could be handy to have at RTR)

Wide Angle Webcam Lens

shadowmoss said:
That was my first thought as well.  Ran electronic test benches for the first third of my career.

Vowels matter!

Qxxx said:
...treatments in hospitals are better now, but it's not due to having any therapeutic medicines. So what?
Two factors, I believe.  First, experience with the effects of the virus and knowing what to look for has improved outcomes.  For example, a patient in ER may not appear to be having a serious breathing problem, but have an oxygen saturation level of 50%!  That is very bad news, and can lead to a cascade of organs shutting down--and "sudden" death.  Second, one-third of hospitalizations in my area are among those under 65, with a sharp increase in patients 18-49.  Younger patients often recover more rapidly.  And I do believe there has been some better use of anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and anti-clotting meds.  Also antibody "rich" plasma from "recovered" COVID-19 patients is in use.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Hooray, it clouded up this afternoon and it will be cloudy tomorrow as well. I was certainly suffering from the heat while working inside the trailer earlier today and most days this week. So I worked until about midnight yesterday as it was so much easier on my body when the temperature drops after dark.

For those of you who are wondering about the Mason and Dixon line. Mason and Dixon are the names of the two men from England who did the surveying of the line. They were not "yankees" . The musician Mark Knofler wrote a song about them which I very much enjoy. He also created a video explaining why he wrote the song with a live performance. In the video he discusses what the song is about. Here is the youtube link to it for those of you who have a connection for watching videos.

My brake controller arrived this afternoon, the 16th. . Amazon could not supply it until August so I found a different company online an ordered it on the 14th. same day shipping, arrived in 2 days via UPS. Can't hardly beat that for a fast delivery time. My workshop mate is going to install it and his son has even offered to help with the job! My Honda Element is not prewired for towing so it will take the better part of a day to get all those wires routed and hooked up. Then of course a I will have to secure everything in the trailer so a test run can happen.

Tonight I will finish fabricating and installing the angle brackets that guide and act as hold downs for my roll out of the cabinet portable toilet base. It is for a Dometic 5 gallon but if I want to later on I can replace it with a composting unit and still use that same roll out platform.