24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowpiercer is a hard movie. Not recommended unless you're in to that genre. Unlikely in your case, TA.

Temperatures predicted to be in the mid to high 90s here in the high desert for the next 10 days. I can't even image 118 like in Yuma. People my age die at those temperatures. I'm taking a page out of Mormon philosophy, and stocking up 6 months worth of food. My friend the Ant in Wisconsin has a years supply in her van.
https://www.learnreligions.com/food-storage-why-what-how-2159413

As the Comcast Xfinity is no longer available in the office I am now getting on the internet like the rest of the van dwellers, via a cellular connection. I have been on my workshop mates Verizon business plan for quite a few years. Verizon unlimited is actually a better value compared to what I was paying for an internet service plus cell phone service way back when before I even had a smart phone. I will switch my iPhone and Samsung tablet over to my own account tomorrow, Monday. It took a while to get my laptop to play with my iphone. Only two more laptops to get to play friendly with my cellular devices plus my little wifi router. A free phone will come with the new plan, I will keep that one in reserve in case my iPhone dies.

I suppose I have better begin looking into a VPN service and portable device for use when I need to go into public wifi locations. Not much in the mood to add another bill and more devices but security is important. Of course I will also have to invest in a signal booster setup as well. I don't mind technology but it takes time and money to get things playing nicely together. Tonight I have to do some more configuring on my printers I need for my design work and printing shipping labels from my Etsy store sales.

maki2 said:
I am now getting on the internet like the rest of the van dwellers, via a cellular connection.

Connectivity is a beautiful thing!

Today I started reading Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery... Emma Gatewood, age 67, leaves her Ohio home without telling her children she's planning to be the first woman ever to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. The year is 1955. I was 2 years old when she started her first thru-hike. Right now I'm the same age she was when she did it. That wasn't her only thru hike on the trail - it was just her first. She hiked the entire trail 2 more times. The last time was when she was 75.

grandma-gatewoods-walk.jpg

Attachments

• grandma-gatewoods-walk.jpg
    grandma-gatewoods-walk.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 4
Qxxx said:
Snowpiercer is a hard movie. Not recommended unless you're in to that genre. Unlikely in your case, TA.

Temperatures predicted to be in the mid to high 90s here in the high desert for the next 10 days. I can't even image 118 like in Yuma. People my age die at those temperatures. I'm taking a page out of Mormon philosophy, and stocking up 6 months worth of food. My friend the Ant in Wisconsin has a years supply in her van.
https://www.learnreligions.com/food-storage-why-what-how-2159413
It was hot, cooled down to 109 in the evening. Supposed to be in the 80's overnight so I am watching Urban Cowboy, that's an 80's movie right? HaHa. Awesome clogging scene in boots and Charlie Daniels music.
~crofter

There is a movie called "Redwood Highway" that I watched a couple of years ago. A woman walks down Hwy 199 to the ocean. The PCT is right next door, TA, hint hint. Maybe a quick jaunt from Seiad to Ashland for starters.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2515164/

I have a dvd called "The Way", where Martin Sheen walks the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain. I like it quite a lot.

109, crofter, you are a toughie. I remember Urban Cowboy, John Travolta was in a weird phase then. But in his second incarnation starting 10 years or so ago, he turned into a darn good actor.

Qxxx said:
There is a movie called "Redwood Highway" that I watched a couple of years ago. A woman walks down Hwy 199 to the ocean. The PCT is right next door, TA, hint hint. Maybe a quick jaunt from Seiad to Ashland for starters.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2515164/

I have a dvd called "The Way", where Martin Sheen walks the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain. I like it quite a lot.

109, crofter, you are a toughie. I remember Urban Cowboy, John Travolta was in a weird phase then. But in his second incarnation starting 10 years or so ago, he turned into a darn good actor.

If you liked the Martin Sheen movie, chances are you'll like this one. http://philscamino.com/phils-story-text-2

Buy the short version here. https://annieoneil.com/store

There are many dozens of youtuber videos on walking the Camino. There are inexpensive inns called Alberques ever few miles along the way, subsidized by the Spanish gobmint, so people don't need to carry huge amounts of food and equipment to make the trek. Only time, and 790 km.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=camino+de+santiago

Here is a trailer for the movie, and a good scene.

Realized today when i went looking for my electrical tools that i must have left them outside last week after I locked up for the night. Who knows. Who might have walked off with them, lots of people come and go in the parking lot including guys from the hobo camps along the tracks and people who come through to go to the beach. My trailer is a magnetic attraction. Stress makes it so hard to stay focused on task in logical order. Its bad enough just having senior moments.

Fortunately i had duplicates of all tnose tools. But I lost time looking all over the place for them as my stuff has gotten all shifted around in both the upstairs and in the garage during this last week. Looking forward to having a lot fewer places to search for lost items as well as less ssttuff. But I do need to travel with wire cutters, crimpers and such. There will always be changes and repairs for electrical wiring and devices.

crofter said:
It was hot, cooled down to 109 in the evening. Supposed to be in the 80's overnight so I am watching Urban Cowboy, that's an 80's movie right? HaHa. Awesome clogging scene in boots and Charlie Daniels music.
~crofter
Saturday Night Fever Texas style.

Maki2 you will need to store those cutters with a good selection of high quality nylon wire ties in an easy to find place. I use the cutters for tightening and trimming the ties more than cutting wire it seems. 15 ties latter my clutch cable housing was functioning good as new, seems I find a new use for them almost every week!

Thanks for the advice, but don't worry :)
I have several more pairs of cutters and a decent stock of plastic zip wire ties of many different sizes. But I probably should get another package of the smaller sizes. I have a lot of wiring in my little travel trailer as it is not just for camping, I also use it for a mini maker space. Other than solar I have all the major electrical feed wires done. But lots of switches to install and the LED lighting needs wiring up before I can put up the headliner material. It will be taking up a lot of my time this week to get the wiring finished up.

Too bad, I see from the news that California is shutting down again. People just can't seem to get things right.

My tools finally turned up. My workshop mate had moved them to an unusual location during his cleanup the other day.
It will be nice to have my favorite pair of ratcheting crimpers to use this week. Lots of electrical hookups to be done. I was out collecting more stuff for that this morning. But now it is the hottest part of the day so I need to get out of the heat for a while, I have an errand to run in my air conditioned car to a bicycle shop for a small part for the bike I want to get sold this week.

So I just out playing a few rounds of putt putt golf with friends. Got a text from a coworker friend asking wats up... I replied.. ahh not much..just stroking out..LOL

Fast forward about 5 minutes and my phone is vibrating like crazy. I don't use a ringtone because the phone is for my convenience and I don't like to jump when it chimes..

My neighbors and family are trying to reach me because 2 ambulances are at my house looking for me.  I let my fam know i am fine and just playing golf.

I saw I had a missed phone call and the coworker called the stinking ambulance be cause he too damn dense to understand what LOL means or idioms are.

Absolutely amazing how people just form tales out of any bit of cloth they can find. Talk about being dramatic.

I would never text a friend before calling 911 if I needed medical attention.  I am thankful I didn't say "I am killing it".... as in the game... wtf...swat would be all over me.

Get a grip world.

All words don't have the same meaning.. STOP applying your definition and instead try to look at how the word is being used for the meaning! There is no need to take everything so damn literal!

I am not paying for this call out... I will sue him for the payment if they try to bill me.

Too many prigs in this world.

Sitting here and still annoyed. Looking to turn it to a bit more fun.

Curious.. what phrase have you heard that would give you pause for (concern) or that you dislike because of the ambiguity?

We have.. already "i'm stroking out" and "I am killing it"...

I can only imagine what " I laughed my ass off." conjures in the minds of some.

I worked for a college ESL department. I taught 2 one hour weekly sessions on idioms. It was always fun to see how folks new to the lingo reacted to certain phrases.

I was just thinking of all those poor souls and their postings in the YARC..lol... you may want a mod to delete some of those before someone distorts the meaning and we send in the medivac choppers from the mental hospital.:))

desert_sailing said:
Curious.. what phrase have you heard that would give you pause for (concern) or that you dislike because of the ambiguity?

When my oldest grandson was a baby ... we were at a campground and people I knew walked up to see him and said "He's going to be a lady killer." My daughter laughed and said people said that all the time. I was terrified. I didn't want him to get that message!!

travelaround said:
When my oldest grandson was a baby ... we were at a campground and people I knew walked up to see him and said "He's going to be a lady killer." My daughter laughed and said people said that all the time. I was terrified. I didn't want him to get that message!!
Great example TA!

That is definitely not one that any one would want associated with them let alone a male.

When I read your post I actually jumped a little it was so shocking.. and it is used so casually among many people.

I just checked my work email.. and somehow my boss got pulled into this as he sent me an email about me having a stroke but didn't and he is worried..sheesh..I can't wait to see what the EMS logs say in tomorrows paper.