24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
desert_sailing said:
I just checked my work email.. and somehow my boss got pulled into this as he sent me an email about me having a stroke but didn't and he is worried..sheesh..I can't wait to see what the EMS logs say in tomorrows paper.

When I read about your golfing stroking email, I thought for sure it had to be a joke - but no, it appears to be a serious situation! And even costly!

so next time just say.....I am puttering a round :) Which is correct for both meanings as in using a putter and not hard at work at something.

Never heard that phrase before. I always heard there is about to be a stink bomb released.

Just finished my taxes. They really did change the tax rules and for the first time since I opened my Etsy store I did not have to pay in to the IRS. I really did get hundreds of $$$ of tax relief out of those changes they made for 2019. Truly can say about it "what a relief that was" and a much needed one.

I had that tax relief feeling last year, Maki... this year I did pay a little but it was so little it didn't hurt. Five or ten years ago I was in tax hell. Even owed IRS for a while because I couldn't afford to pay when it was due.

You guys sure waited till the last minute. I had my refund 3 months ago, and gave it to the credit card company the next day. Ain't it fun.

Paid my taxes due a couple of weeks ago....now, supposedly, starting in mid-August, I will FINALLY start to get some of MY money back in the form of Social Security retirement benefits...

Looking forward to that! I've been on ZERO income for just over three years now...and tapping into retirement savings will come to a halt I think, once I have that income stream!

Yippeee!

One month to go!

I always have excess withheld. I sure don't like coughing up money that I may not have when paying the piper is due. I treat it as a small savings account that doesn't earn interest. Normal savings accounts don't pay much either. Makes me smile when I see the deposit in my account.

It's fun to be on SS and Medicare, after paying in to the 2 systems every month for 45-50 years. Now I get a little bit back, plus it helps to live in a state where SS is not taxed. As we know, the gobmint will never default, even though the federal debt will hit $30-billion before long. America will always be the #1 envy of the world. So SS is free money forever.

https://www.valic.com/education-center/tax-matters/not-tax-social-security
"37 States That Don't Tax Social Security Benefits
Nine of the 13 states in the West don't have income taxes on Social Security. Alaska, Nevada, Washington, and Wyoming don't have state income taxes at all, and Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, and Oregon have special provisions exempting Social Security benefits from state taxation. That leaves Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, and Utah, which impose taxes on Social Security for some individuals".

Qxxx said:
You guys sure waited till the last minute. I had my refund 3 months ago, and gave it to the credit card company the next day. Ain't it  
QXX
I wait till the last minute because I am sending them money

In that case, you did the right thing. I can't remember the last I actually made a buck. Fading memories.

In my case, I've now paid off the van, and am totally debt free. All I need now is for this country to get some smarts, and get covid under control, then I will feel better about traveling. Europe did it, after all. Who knew they were so smart. Finally, some of the local people are starting to wear masks. It used to be about 1 in 100 or less, now it's maybe 1 in 20 or less.

Qxxx said:

So...now I learned something, and I looked it up on the Census Bureau website....Delaware, Maryland, and the Virginias, are in the 'South'....whooda thunk it. Even the District of Columbia....Our Capital is in the SOUTH???

[font=aig_futura_medregular]"Retirees in the South get a free pass with Social Security — except in one state[/font]

All but one of the 16 states of the South (as defined by the Census Bureau) are tax-friendly when it comes to Social Security. Florida, Tennessee, and Texas don't charge state income taxes generally, which makes Social Security taxation largely a moot point. But most of the other states in the region — Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Virginia — also have a blanket exemption on taxing Social Security. West Virginia is the only exception; it uses the federal rules to determine what gets included in state income taxes."

I underlined a few states that might be un-aware they are in the South. Someone should let them know. 

I had NO idea me and President Donald Trump were southern neighbors when he's in the White House...here in the 'South'....

I....I....I...am speechless....for once.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/maps-data/maps/reference/us_regdiv.pdf[/SIZE]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Speechless for once, today, ta-dah. Ancient history ... Mason-Dixon line. So it says: "border between the free (Northern) states and the slave (Southern) states". Obviously written by a damn yankee. That long-winded article referenced doesn't mention MDL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason–Dixon_line

To me, 'south' means: a compass direction, or a region, or a place that is more south than north.

I am not in the daily habit of looking on the Census Bureau's website to see if they lumped us together based on a very UN-civil war that tore us apart 160 years ago, not to mention today's climate of..."let's erase history, it never happened"...

I understand the division is based on history...but I have no idea why they let those definitions persist today. Are they just lazy, or what?

(people will undoubtedly misunderstand this post....and if they do, I'm not gonna fix it.)

All I know is I got the South in ma mouth!  It took a while, but that accent's a solid indicator of where I am and am not now!  So much for the "general American speech" I used to win debates with.