24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grand daughter's boy friend gifted me a Rigid brad nailer and drill with 2 4ah batteries for Christmas.L'm thinking seriously about buying a framing nailer that the batteries will fit.Would be a big help on my trailer remodel.

I am looking to join up with a group for the RTR. I am hoping for group that is security conscious, and there will will be someone watching. I am a filmmaker and am hoping to do some interviews while there. I am interested in in talking to people who have chosen the nomadic lifestyle by choice.
The HOWA caravans organize thru the meetup app, there are several. Also some people are using camp together app to connect.
-crofter

Congratulations Sofi... I hope you’ll “entertain us” some more... not sure if I like this change not knowing who is running this. Did bob say?
Haven’t heard from nature lover... hope your ok!
TA, stay warm... the solar deal wasn’t one I wanted to win. Still rooting for you to get yours done... your whole van build in fact. You’ve been very patient. If you do head south you might want to shoot East then down. California is really soaking ya on the fuel...when I first got here it was about $2 different then even Arizona for diesel...
Hope Christmas was good to all. As we move to a new year I wish everyone the best...

Nature Lover sent a message out to a short list of forum members saying he is doing OK with his medical treatments. However, he has decided not to partiicipate anymore under the new ownership of this forum as he feels (along with many others) that it has become more difficult to use.

I dont understand whats more difficult about the new setup, it seems a huge step up in functionality from the old glitchy software. its now more like most modern forum setups, meaning it works better and has more useful features. Why would any of that make someone want to leave? I could seriously see people not participating because the old software was so outdated and unreliable.

I dont see what the big difference is. Im asking, not just expressing an opinion.

Well malamute, it’s one thing to put yourself out their kinda knowing who’s running the forum and such. It isn’t the “new format” that’s uneasy for myself. It’s the not knowing who is purchasing this and what for besides profits. So give it time and maybe we’ll see what comes of this. Your quick to jump on people with concerns. Hey, we live in a weird time. Best to cut people some slack! I think it’s the word “corporation” that might get people a little nervous. Good luck to Mr Wells... and I hope he can enjoy a little slower pace.

Well malamute, it’s one thing to put yourself out their kinda knowing who’s running the forum and such. It isn’t the “new format” that’s uneasy for myself. It’s the not knowing who is purchasing this and what for besides profits. So give it time and maybe we’ll see what comes of this. Your quick to jump on people with concerns. Hey, we live in a weird time. Best to cut people some slack! I think it’s the word “corporation” that might get people a little nervous. Good luck to Mr Wells... and I hope he can enjoy a little slower pace.

My apologies if I came across as jumping on anyone, its not my intent, Im genuinely curious what it is people feel is the issue with the change. Again, exactly who owns the forum, how does that change any of the past posts or content? If the forum remains basically the same as to members and direction and focus of the forum, what difference does it make exactly who owns it? Im just not sure what anyone could do with the content that is detrimental to the original posters, and am asking what the concerns are. Some of the comments have left me a bit baffled. Not much clarification has come forward after asking the whys etc.

Its a publicly accessible forum, whatever people post, anyone in the world can see and access the posts. What difference does the name on the ownership papers make? Inquiring minds want to know.

My apologies if I came across as jumping on anyone, its not my intent, Im genuinely curious what it is people feel is the issue with the change. Again, exactly who owns the forum, how does that change any of the past posts or content? If the forum remains basically the same as to members and direction and focus of the forum, what difference does it make exactly who owns it? Im just not sure what anyone could do with the content that is detrimental to the original posters, and am asking what the concerns are. Some of the comments have left me a bit baffled. Not much clarification has come forward after asking the whys etc.

Its a publicly accessible forum, whatever people post, anyone in the world can see and access the posts. What difference does the name on the ownership papers make? Inquiring minds want to know.
It is kind of like owning stocks, you can say they are earning money so what is the difference, who owns the company and what it does and that is fine however some people like to know what they invest in, for different reason sometimes, ethical,environmental, political.

I find that new learning curves are always a test of my patience, as I often choose to stick with what is known and comfortable.

I just don’t like the struggle to absorb new how-to’s.

That said, it is the members here who make this forum what it is, and I feel we should give it some time to let the dust settle and everyone acclimate.

Storming off isn’t the answer, in my opinion.

I don’t know Bob, but from just what I have seen it is difficult to imagine he would have sold this forum to individuals he did not have some faith in to maintain the general nature of CRVL.

I think we should give it some time, and meanwhile learn how this new-fangled and updated forum works.

My two cents.

It is OK to write letters of protest if you do not like the changes. Maybe it will bring about change or maybe it will amount to nothing more than simply venting. Either way it is going to be occuring for years to come that people are going to miss the way it used to be and will continue to put those written statements into this forum.

We love the adventure of traveling down the road to a new lake, a new mountain, a new stream, a new ocean with unpredictable change as part of the excitement. Why should traveling down the path into a new forum design be any different? I really like this new one myself.

The grand daughter's boy friend gifted me a Rigid brad nailer and drill with 2 4ah batteries for Christmas.L'm thinking seriously about buying a framing nailer that the batteries will fit.Would be a big help on my trailer remodel.
Forget the framing nailer...............Just use the drill/driver with some Torx head "deck" screws for reliable fastening

Now that someone from the purchasing company has reached out a person can feel a bit more at ease... in my opinion...
I just want to give a shout out for Jim in Denver... hanging out in “Sparky Camp” I’ve watched this guy about nonstop helping others. I doubt if I’d ever recognize him with anything but his warm jacket on. Haha! But he’s constantly out helping others with their needs. Even people who take advantage a bit he does not bat an eye! He genuinely is a very kind helpful person... as are many others here. I don’t know if he was waken the other morning. But three different parties were knocking on his door asking for help. Did he complain? Unless asking how he can help is complaining I didn’t see it. No, he was out seeing what he could do in each instance. There is a gal that has no means to repair her rig, has a number of bigger dogs and is struggling to keep herself warm. We’ve tried to help... and Jim has let her use his equipment to charge her batteries several days in a row... in fact, sometimes his generator is at his place. If there was a selfless guy of the year award, I’d put him at the top of the list.
He made sure everyone was fed well on Christmas Day also. There are several others that are very much the same... last year and this year also abnorm (the Doug) too can be seen helping people with projects... common to see van dwellers helping each other out. But my goodness, Jim seems to be a bit popular and for good reason. Very cool to see... thanks Jim!
Oops, I have kids here... better go check on em...

Ben, that’s so awesome of you to take the time to praise a good human for being a good human. Positive posts float my boat!

Sofi, congratulations on retirement! I agree the new forum is uncomfortable with the big annoying animated ad on the right... and we don't know the owners. It seems strange and I've been thinking it might be a good time for me to go do something else for a while.

Honeys Park, so far as I know we have not met. I used to live in Idaho but I was in the northern part near Coeur d'Alene.

I guess my biggest problem with the new "owners" is I trusted Bob Wells and others involved with this site to use the information and any gains that came from this site to help other new nomads. I can't imagine how much volunteer time was involved in keeping that happening all these years and can accept it would be unrealistic to expect that to continue especially as much as the site has grown. I only hope the site continues to grow and be a resource for new nomads without too much interference from outsiders wanting to make a dollar.

I’m going to give the new site and new owners some time.

If it doesn’t feel right, I will know it is time to go.

I am not seeing a large, animated ad. May be an ad blocker that can be activated to prevent seeing that?

I do feel Bob is a person with a well-established record of conscience and integrity, and that we should give him some initial benefit of the doubt in his hand-off decision.

Forget the framing nailer...............Just use the drill/driver with some Torx head "deck" screws for reliable fastening
When I started my van build from an empty shell, I was ignorant about a lot of things, certainly about what to hold structures together with. So I wasted a lot of time with wrong tools and techniques. Then a helper at the hardware store turned me onto these:
SelfTappingHexScrewsS.jpg
I use them everywhere now. They are wonderful because:
(1) They drill their own hole, exactly the right size hole so they neither split the wood nor hang too loose. Also, they easily drill right through the metal body of the van to hold anything to it securely.
(2) The threading holds to anything so much better than the flat surface of a nail, which can slide out as the van shakes and bounces down the road.
(3) The hex head holds the screw to the bit so much more securely than other head types due to being wide and large. It's also very easy to grab and to release.
(4) That silver disk you see inside the drill bit is a magnet, so the screw won't fall out before you get it started.

Last edited:
I’m going to give the new site and new owners some time.

If it doesn’t feel right, I will know it is time to go.

I am not seeing a large, animated ad. May be an ad blocker that can be activated to prevent seeing that?

I do feel Bob is a person with a well-established record of conscience and integrity, and that we should give him some initial benefit of the doubt in his hand-off decision.

How not to see ads when logged in.

https://vanlivingforum.com/account/preferencesClick on that link. About 1/3 of the way down is Disable Ads. Check that box and Save. Now you will not see the ads when you are logged in.