24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
It made me wonder what skunks eat normally. Cat food couldn't be all that good for them.

They're omnivores. For protein, they are big fans of insect larvae (grubs), and any other small critter they can catch. I suspect cat food suits them just fine.

jacqueg said:
They're omnivores. For protein, they are big fans of insect larvae (grubs), and any other small critter they can catch. I suspect cat food suits them just fine.

I hope so - I would not like to leave something out that makes little skunks sick. I wonder where they live. I'm suspecting the thicket behind the shed. Tonight the catfood is already transferred indoors.

I went to an IPad a number of years ago, and have both a Nook and Kindle app on it which eliminated the Nook I had which I then gifted to a grandchild.

I like having only the IPad and phone to keep charged when on the road.

As a 70+ senior, avoiding falls is a daily effort, tho it didn’t keep me from going down a couple of weeks ago when walking the dog and stepping unseen into a depression in the ground.

I didn’t break anything, thank goodness, but wrenched both knees and had to lay up a couple of days until swelling went down.

Always best to keep to paths and roads of some sort, I have found, as various animal and man made holes can be treacherous.

I have taken a calcium supplement with Vitamin D for years, at my PCP’s direction, and credit it and increased weight bearing activities in widowhood, like hauling of firewood, with keeping my bone density up.

I also do forward and side to side lunges most days to improve muscle strength and help prevent falls.

Don’t be in a hurry, watch where you are placing your feet.   :sleepy:

Sofisintown said:
I remember that Suzuki. It was the first 'big' bike that descended in Athens in 79. Whoever had it was the king of coffee racing in my hood. I had a blue Honda CB 50cc back then.
Wow, you were in Greece in 1979, that is so cool. I used to think 50cc was pretty darn small, but one time I rented that size moped, and spent a wonderful day driving all over Paros Island. It was great, stopped in a little cove and bathed naked in the Aegean, :). And the Greek food, just wow. You've had such a great life in so many wonderful places, Sofi.

Rose: " .... As a 70+ senior, avoiding falls is a daily effort ... "

Yeah, isn't that the truth. One of my neighbors had had a couple of knee replacements. Then sometime later, she had lens replacements in both eyes due to cataracts. The very next day, she tripped over a crack on the sidewalk, fell and broke both of her wrists. You just have to stay active, keep the bones from thinning and the muscles strong.

I had one eye done. Best thing ever. I now don't have to wear glasses and I got rid of contacts decades ago. I can see 20/20 with one eye and closeup with the other eye, best of both worlds. I got mine done on a friday and to not take the patch off until the next day. Still remember when the patch came off, I could see a grid of dots in the lense. It went away after a few hours. It did take a little bit to learn to walk again as with glasses, they change your perspective of the ground. Kinda the opposite of learning to wear glasses.

Well, I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 7, I think, and legally blind since 9, so glasses and then contact lenses almost my entire life.

The doc is careful not to guarantee an outcome, and says it is possible I will still need some correction, but they are bad enough my insurance will now pay for the surgery, so it is time.

I have to be out of my contacts and in glasses for 3 weeks before they measure for the new lenses, so need to be home for an extended period pre-op.

A good friend had both her eyes done recently, and was asked by her doc if she wanted to see far away or up close.

I’ll probably choose the far away, as I wear reading glasses now for up close and am used to that.

I need to be able to read road signs and things well.

I’m ready to have it done, but like so many things it is a process and not an event. :)

I wore glasses since I was eight....thick lenses. Just had cataract surgery on both eyes (1 week apart) in June. Amazing! I am using readers from the dollar store only for reading and the computer. I don't need glasses for TV, driving, or walking around. I never got out of bed without glasses before and wore them all the time when not sleeping. Now I can see in the shower, LOL, though I would rather not!

I took all the great advice and indeed purchased a fridge instead of a Berkey. Tho I am trying to swing the Travel Berkey as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKRY1FG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fridge just arrived a WHOLE WEEK ahead of schedule so I am pleased about that.
I saw that these are a rebrand of the Alpicool...not sure.
20L is much much smaller than I had imagined. The pictures make it appear cavernous.
I am thinking to maybe use this as a freezer for meats, ice cream, and make ice cubes for a cooler to keep beverages and such cold? Freezer setting may draw to much electricity for my 70 ah and 100 watt panel.

Finally reached the manufacturer of the BOSS hot water shower. They told me that I can NOT change the nozzle to a shutoff type and that I would need to simply shutoff the system to stop the water and then restart it when I want the water to continue. They said it would have a momentary decrease in temperature when doing this. Certainly much more preferable to water running nonstop.

Apparently the ONLY model they sell that will shutoff flow is the x20. I have the x13 model and it is about 200$ less than the fancy pants model.

I am fine with a  moment of cold spray if it saves me 200 bux.

Still doing some touch ups.. cleaning up paint drips.. and figuring out how to fit my whole life into a 12x6ft space. Called an rv service center here to see about putting gas hinge/bed lifts on. Quoted nearly 250 bux!... I will have to try that solo.. Their labor cost was 110$ per and estimated an hour and half for the installation...JOKESVILLE!
I am absolutely finished spending on the rig. I have been saving all receipts and am scared to total them up.

The end of August is when I am looking to return the house keys and head on out provide the Corona Schmorona doesn't mess that up.

tx2sturgis said:
Whatcha buildin?
Last fall I picked up a 91 gmc rally stx 3500.. about 85k miles. Had been in a barn for several years and prior was a Mormon hauler. Smelled like goats and hay. Interior was trashed. Since it was going to be gutted anyhow it saved me a bit of coin...actually saved many coins.

It isn't  a fancy new model but it is nice and has a great growl when driving..I've been debating on doing a rattle can paint job on her...white is not my ideal..maybe a gun metal grey or desert tan?...

Hope to have some pics posted up soon. Can't wait to get her up in the hills!

desert_sailing said:
Last fall I picked up a 91 gmc rally stx 3500.. about 85k miles. Had been in a barn for several years and prior was a Mormon hauler. Smelled like goats and hay. Interior was trashed. Since it was going to be gutted anyhow it saved me a bit of coin...actually saved many coins.

It isn't  a fancy new model but it is nice and has a great growl when driving..I've been debating on doing a rattle can paint job on her...white is not my ideal..maybe a gun metal grey or desert tan?...

Hope to have some pics posted up soon. Can't wait to get her up in the hills!
Not mine..but this is the same.. I love the red and I definitely want a visor.. would love to have a brush guard and a winch up front as well.. :)) she would be beastly!AnyConv.com__1991_gmc_rally_wagon-pic-658748790672848772-640x480.jpg

Attachments

• AnyConv.com__1991_gmc_rally_wagon-pic-658748790672848772-640x480.jpg
    AnyConv.com__1991_gmc_rally_wagon-pic-658748790672848772-640x480.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 3
Qxxx said:
And such a nice place (if I ever get there).

Here is one of the places I visited last summer. The last 2 miles to the top were rather airy.
http://www.willhiteweb.com/washington/mount_spokane/state_park_119.htm

I used to live 25 miles from Spokane! Never went to the mountain.

Here's the mountain I went up last summer... my son gave me a tour of an old fire lookout. Really B.A.D. logging road to the top. Very scary drive. My van is in the video. I will never drive it back up there. Many culverts on a cliff, nearly completely washed out. I finally panicked enough I had to let my son drive the rest of the way to the top. He's a former truck driver and had been up there many times before so he knew what to expect.

[video=youtube]

tx2sturgis said:
My r-pod... near what is called Benson Ridge.
We were there for ARRL Field Day, a ham radio event. 

Tips? Dont eat yellow snow!

:p
Thanks for the peek!  I really enjoyed it.  Ham...  as in "Have Shack, Will Yack"?  My Grandpa made sure all of us kids at least got Novice licenses.  Someone must have helped me cheat on the theory part, unless I was a lot smarter as a kid than I am now.

So that tip:  It's not just about where the huskies go? :s

B and C said:
I had one eye done.  Best thing ever.  ...they change your perspective of the ground.
I was born with one near-sighted and one far-sighted eye.  They took turns doing what they did best and I had excellent eyesight overall.  Two things are compromised:  depth perception may be less, and eye strain may be more.  Presbyopia eventually caught up with me, and I now like to wear glasses or contacts for close work (I am very demanding in that area).  Also, good, natural light is a must.

Wandering Rose:  I hope everything goes well and you enjoy the change!

Latest posts