24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A feral cat is one that is very wild when it comes to interacting with humans.

The cats that do interact with humans such as jumping up on an airconditioner and coming to a window to be fed are not "feral". They have established a relationship. A feral cat won't even come up to get fed but will instead lurk around on the edges of the property keeping an eye out but not truly interacting. If you try to approach them they will run away from you.

Travelaround's kitties fall into the category of "barn cats" they live their life outside but are willing to come up to be fed. Often somewhat shy especially of strangers. But some barn cats don't at all mind being petted.

But if you have barn cats you do want to be on a schedule with them to give them worm meds and hopefully flea meds too. The fleas will give the cats tapeworms if they eat a flea.

Round worms are also quite common in barn and feral cats. If you are gardening where cats toilet then giving round worm medication to the kitties is a good idea to reduce the risk to humans. You just put it in their food, its easy. No prescription needed for the worming medications. Farm supply stores, pet stores, the internet, it is easy to get a supply. Of course farm dogs get round worms too, especially if there is livestock around or wild animals such as racoons. They will choose a tree as a favorite resting spot and then defecate at the bottom of that tree. Dogs being what they are like to get into it and roll and then lick their own fur and then bingo they have round worms or other parasites.

I have decided no more pets for me. I just don't have the budget to give them medical care as well as food and other supplies. I love them but I can't give them the care they deserve.

Qxxx said:
That entire area north of Phoenix and south of Flagstaff is incredible. Payson was a neat little town. I didn't go to Sedona out of sheer crowd avoidance misery, but very much liked Prescott over on the west side. There are many places to camp, look on freecampsites.net. And for that matter, the entire s.w. area of AZ is wonderful. Tombstone, Bisbee, Chiricahua Natl Monument, on and on.

Prescott is where they filmed the famous fight scene in Billy Jack. Very neat "old town" area with 100 yo bars and buildings. I liked it very much.

Sedona is a very cool town. If you can go in the off season its better. Theres a ton of very cool roads and trails to explore all around there. I intend to either retire to or winter in that area or close enough to go there to do stuff without it being a nuisance to drive. I look at the weather and webcams for sedona every day ll winter. I usually think "I could be riding there!" when I check it. The winters there are very nice. Not a lot of snow and it usually goes away fairly quickly.

You can snap a picture on the webcam, it saves it , and you can download it. I use the red rock and 7 arches cams. Pic below I took and saved on the cam. early morning.

I used to ride my motorcycle from Flag to Sedona almost every day after work for a year or so, and very often for several years after that. Ive ridden Oak Creek Canyon hundreds of times, and miss it.

From the Sedona Red Rock webcam

Sedona red rock cam 2-17.jpg

oops, this is the one i was looking for,

1578840131177_41.jpg

Attachments

• Sedona red rock cam 2-17.jpg
    Sedona red rock cam 2-17.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1578840131177_41.jpg
    1578840131177_41.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 11
Good morning. Today I'm going to the local book club meeting for the first time since the beginning of April. They've been meeting for a few weeks already. It will be at the park near the river. I have to go to give a birthday present to my friend. Her birthday is tomorrow.

For M. Yeah, I know all about Sedona and have watched youtubes of people boondocking in the area. It has incredible topography. Plus I see it's almost 3,000' lower than Flagstaff so the bike ride must be great fun. I recall many times riding up Boulder Canyon (CO) on my 750, and you could pass cars in 3 seconds coming out of the hairpin corners. Nice.

Qxxx said:
For M. Yeah, I know all about Sedona and have watched youtubes of people boondocking in the area. It has incredible topography. Plus I see it's almost 3,000' lower than Flagstaff so the bike ride must be great fun. I recall many times riding up Boulder Canyon (CO) on my 750, and you could pass cars in 3 seconds coming out of the hairpin corners. Nice.

Yes, its truly awesome country around there. My riding partner and I had a system for riding and passing the slow cars in the canyon. The first person to pass went to the far side of the lane so the next guy has room to get in. If one passed and the next guy couldnt, first guy would ride ahead and scout for cars, and wave you on or hold up how many fingers for the number of cars you could pass. It was very windy road and hard to see very far ahead.

I had a 1947 H-D, commonly called a Knucklehead for the way the motor looked. I rebuilt it with 80 CI S&S flywheels (1340cc), S&S Super carb, S grind Andrews cam, mild port and polish on the heads, Andrews close ratio gears, a belt drive part of the time. The older motors had some poor design factors, but its 1936 technology. It ran decently once upgraded tough. My passing time was exactly 3 seconds from the moment a car going the other way passed and I was safely back in my lane after passing. Good times.  :)

Current bike is a 1984 Low Rider, 80 ci motor. The Shovelhead motor type runs much stronger than the older type. This one has also had some work done, cam and carb, solid lifters, better exhaust. Its far stronger running than the 47. I dont have much desire to go fast any more, but it should be great for dragging the sidecar around.

Nothing beats the way a shovelhead sounds when its kicked into life...kachug kachug kakachug...kachug kakachug...

Or as it is normally written on the forums....potato potato potato....

Ah....them were the days....

Qxxx said:
Hi wayne, did you actually go in to Lunar Crater? I remember reading about it 2 or 3 years ago, and it sounded like the road in was rather poor for normal vehicles.

Yes, Summer of 2019. Stayed one night.

It was a typical Nevada off pavement road, slight washboard, heavy layer of poof dust, some ruts, and longish. I drove a 25ft 1989 Tioga, moving from side to side as needed to avoid having a wheel in any ruts. No problems with departure or arrival angles. Drive slow, take your time.

There is no Verizon (nor any other carrier probably) service at the crater. It is very quiet at night. Unfortunately the lights from Vegas can be seen as a slight glow low on the horizon in that direction.

Thanks wayne, I had to look up 25ft 1989 Tioga. If your good-sized RV could get in there, I imagine my Savana van could make it.

Qxxx said:
Well M, you are way beyond me with your knowledge. I just had one of those japanese 4-cylinder bikes up to 1990, when I sold it because of accidents from other non-bike causes. So all I can say is .... once he rode like the wind. (of course, being totally plagiaristic too).

https://www.amazon.com/Once-They-Moved-Like-Wind/dp/0671885561

It was something I was really into at the time. I started tinkering with dirt bike mechanical work, as I kept getting bigger bikes, my learning curve steepened a bit, until I was doing motor and transmission work on the H-Ds. I ended up working at a shop a while and learned to build motors from the ground up, line boring and lapping cases for new main bearings, boring cylinders, valve work. It was nice having access to all the shop tools when I rebuilt the 47 with the upgrades.

When I first got the 47 it was a basket case. I had the motor built by a local guy, but built the bike from parts into a road bike and rode cross country quite a few times, as well as all over Az. It was nice later to not have to use anyone else for motor work. I have a crazy plan to swap the right half motor case of the 84 for a late generator case, they look vastly cooler. I may swap out the heads for repro Pan heads with improved intake and exhaust like Shovels have. It will have the looks of the older style motors, but still be electric start for my geezerly body. The older motors and bikes bring quite a lot more money than the shovels, putting them way out of my budget.

I still just love the mechanical aspects of them, the history, all the weird clicking, ticking, whirring, clunking sounds the H-D motors and transmissions make. 

A 52 Panhead I built for the GF about 1980. I think they are functional art. Love the old motors and bikes.

PP 52 Pan 4.jpg

tx2sturgis said:
Nothing beats the way a shovelhead sounds when its kicked into life...kachug kachug kakachug...kachug kakachug...

Or as it is normally written on the forums....potato potato potato....

Ah....them were the days....

They all fire and run nearly identically, I cant tell much difference, though the knuckle sounded a bit different when it had drag pipes before I got it. I run my idle up a little, it doesnt have the classic H-D big twin idle cadence, but I think its easier on the motors. The cam may also have a  bearing on how mine idles, we dont know what cam it has, but its not stock. I believe lugging them under load in too tall of a gear is also hard on them.

A friend with a shop noticed back in the 70s that people that lugged their motors vs people that didnt needed to have their motors lower ends rebuilt sooner.

Attachments

• PP 52 Pan 4.jpg
    PP 52 Pan 4.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 11
Qxxx said:
That entire area north of Phoenix and south of Flagstaff is incredible.
I have done some arm chair traveling in that area, and hope to spend at least a few weeks poking around there.  As much as it called to me, my plan had been to avoid Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon because of the anticipated congestion during the holiday week and a planned long (for us) driving day.  When we changed our mind, I cancelled our first night's reservation at Grand Canyon and made an interim stopover (Dead Horse Ranch SP) so we could be fresh on the drive and avoid afternoon rain.  I'm glad we did.

Honestly, as beautiful as it is, I don't think my buttocks unclinched for two days!  I am not originally a flat lander, so seeing the tops of 100' trees at roads' edge doesn't affect me badly, but there is very little margin for error and lots of potential surprises at every curve.  Reminds me a little of the San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway (Million Dollar Highway), without the passes.  What made me uncomfortable, was the mix of vehicles (and, presumably experience) on the road.  I saw some real head-shakers.

Red rock formations have a special appeal to me, so with any luck, we'll be back!

Sedona to Schnebly hill was quite the drive in a 4x4 Geo convertible. It has pretty good ground clearance but is not lifted. I did bottom out twice on the way up picking my way between really large rocks. I took the easy way down and headed east to I-17 :) They have some specially modified jeeps they take to the top (tour). I don't know if they finally smoothed it out or not. This was in 2016.

travelaround said:
Today I'm going to the local book club meeting for the first time since the beginning of April.
Hope your book club meeting was better than my ZOOM gathering with my like-minded, differently minded discussion group.  Can't wait to see them in person again!

VanFan said:
Hope your book club meeting was better than my ZOOM gathering with my like-minded, differently minded discussion group.  Can't wait to see them in person again!

The book club was nice - only four of us and my friend was excited to get her new Kindle Fire 7. She's never had a Kindle and I thought it was about time.

I've never used Zoom, and my brother just emailed me to say he wants to have a family meeting on Zoom... all 4 siblings and our 2 cousins plus spouses... (that's another 5 people since I have no spouse and everyone else does.) I think it is a marvelous idea but it means I'm going to have to use Zoom. Should I do that on my laptop or phone? How is it done? I guess I'm going to have to get over my avoidance of Zoom if I want to take part in this - and I do want to do it.

I bought an Amazon Fire 7 about 4 weeks ago, because my 3-4 year Android Tablet was having kittens trying to display webpages. The geeks keep adding useless new features to HTML which the old browsers cannot decode. The Fire 7 has no problems. I'm not sure if this is the same as a Kindle Fire 7.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKR6KXF

I just got the cheapest $49 one, where you have to sell your sole to Amazon's control. It's kind of like marrying into the family. They are continually sending ads but I ignore them. I dislike the Silk Browser, and tried to d/l Chrome several times, but it wouldn't work.

I do like the "Blueshade on" feature which changes the screen from bright white to a deep yellow. Better to use late at night and before bedtime.

travelaround said:
...my friend was excited to get her new Kindle Fire 7. She's never had a Kindle and I thought it was about time.

Should I do that on my laptop or phone? 

Great gift.

I would do zoom on the laptop or everyones picture is going to be tiny.  Your laptop does have a camera doesn't it?

The kids here used zoom to finish school this year.  Seemed pretty straightforward.

travelaround said:
The book club was nice - only four of us and my friend was excited to get her new Kindle Fire 7. She's never had a Kindle and I thought it was about time.

I've never used Zoom, and my brother just emailed me to say he wants to have a family meeting on Zoom... all 4 siblings and our 2 cousins plus spouses... (that's another 5 people since I have no spouse and everyone else does.) I think it is a marvelous idea but it means I'm going to have to use Zoom. Should I do that on my laptop or phone? How is it done? I guess I'm going to have to get over my avoidance of Zoom if I want to take part in this - and I do want to do it.
I guess you will be doing some of those adult education online courses in the near future :)

Here is the link to the Zoom page with links to video tutorials for how to use it.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-video-tutorials

travelaround said:
The book club was nice
I've never used Zoom...  Should I do that on my laptop or phone? How is it done?
I am no expert on Zoom, but have been in a few meetings with it.  I agree that the laptop is probably better.  Here are a few FAQ's.  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206175806-Top-Questions  Note that you do not need an account, but it will be helpful to download and install the Zoom front end in advance.  The Host should send you a link and, typically, you just click on it to join the meeting.  Depending on the speed of your connection, sometimes people "freeze" or the audio and video get out of sink, which can seem really weird and impede natural conversation.  Moving closer to a router can help.  That's about all I know...

One benefit to the recent stress I am under, I don't feel like eating. In the past I have always wanted to binge when stressed but not this time. It won't take long to get rid of the few extra pounds Covid pounds I had put on.

I went for my wellness check the other day and found out my doctor was not at all concerned about my excess weight. She said she likes her senior patients to have extra padding on them so they don't break bones when they fall. First time I have ever heard a doctor tell me not to worry about taking off weight.