24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ I've never made just an onion sandwich but I bet potato chips would be good on it too. Double crunchy!

My son has finally after 28 years developed a taste for mustard, he used to hate it. I love it and have quite a few
different kinds in the fridge. I think we're about to have a lot more.

No raw onion sandwiches for me. A single ring is sufficient. I  have a deficiency in the enyzme that is needed to break down the fructan in onions and garlic. Too bad because I do like them. But I take enzymes and indulge myself now and again.

I hated mustard until I was in my 30s. The first mustard I began to like was Chinese hot mustard. I still don't care for the typical American hotdog and hamburger yellow mustards.

I’ve been out of onions for 2 days ….bought a huge bag of Sweet Onions from Costco a few weeks ago…….
The last thing I made with them was :

Grilled rye with cheese , chopped hard salami, onions &  pepper & Mayo ….crunchy with bits of grilled crisp onion & cheese stuck to the grilled bread….

The onion song.... yeehaw!

The mouth harp is a blast!

Yaay lyrics, I'd have no idea what the hell he's saying without them.

This winter I was gifted a pair of very sweet soft leather boots, fairly low cut. The guy who odered them did not like the fit and did not want to bother returning them. I have saved them back for dress wear, not going to ruin that soft, tan leather using them in Arizona campsite dirt. I will save them for going into the big city museums, galleries and such. Not been much opportunity for those activies in the last year. although I did visit the Northern Arizona Museum last week. Lovely place, fabulous native crafted items are in the gift shop, great exhibits  in the museum. There is a beautiful small canyon behind the museum building with walking trails I want to go on. As I am camped not too far away and I pass it going into Flagstaff that is on my list of leisure walks to take in the near future. There is no charge to go on the walks or visit the gift shop or go into the interior courtyard. There is a fee to tour the museum exhibits.

Glad you got that tooth out Maki. Toothaches can be some pretty severe pain!

I fell a couple days ago walking into a restaurant without my walker. I really don’t need to be without it period. I landed on a knee and, of course, my brand new shoulder that isn’t even healed yet.

It’s now keeping me up and I can’t possibly go to the physical therapy I’m scheduled for three times a week. I know I didn’t break it and am pretty sure I didn’t rip sutures but boy it hurts. I’ll try to get back to PT next week.

Processed a jillion more tomatoes yesterday from the garden and it’s boiling down into sauce now. We will be canning again today. Well, maybe it wasn’t a jillion but felt like it. It’s going to make some yummy soups and chili this winter!

Cammalu, very sorry to hear about the fall. I hope it did no damage to your shoulder. Therapy 3 times a week can be rough, especially if you have to do all the back and forth driving youself with a painful shoulder. Lack of sleep is terrible, intereferes with everything and inreases misery. I know John has also been dealing with recovery from surgeries as well. A very rough spring and summer in your family.

Cammalu, sorry to hear about the fall. We must be kindred spirits I fell the other day too. Have a nice trip, see you next fall.

So sorry Cammalu & Nature Lover of all this falling &  injuries…. I am extra careful it doesn’t happen to me too…. I walk like an old lady now myself… I got a walker a few weeks ago… but I only need it for long distance… but it’s too big & bulky to take with me if I live out of my car…

Sending love & healing to you both  :heart: 

And Maki I’m so glad you had that tooth taken out…. Very sorry you needlessly had to suffer longer than you should have… yes those infections can be dangerous… 

We take our good days when nothing is going wrong for granted sometimes 

Just being pain free is a blessing

Sofisintown said:

Since we're into vegetable songs now, here's the Homegrown Tomatoes tune
to complete the salad.

True words! Love those really good homegrown tomatoes. I can't find many home grown tomatoes in my yard this year. I am on strike this year. Oh no wait there is the farmers market and those tomatoes are close to home grown, but that guy wants 5 yep 5$$$ bucks a tomato, a single little ol' tomato. They are good heirloom stuff but my budget just doesn't include 5$ per tomato.... :( maybe that is a sign that I need to get my veggies going again...nope not yet.

maki2 said:
Love caramelized sweet onions on burgers and other hot sandwhiches.
Me to...but onions don't like me, sometimes the heart burn is just worth it though. Like over a really well cooked hamburger with lots of cheese and bacon. Or over a good soup or with a good meatloaf..... Ok time to hit the grocery store.

Never heard of 5 dollar tomatoes before! And at a farmers market yet.

I don't go to our farmers markets. I tried it one time when I came back to this town from Idaho. I walked around with all the vendors' eyes staring at me with that "why don't you buy something" look in them. "Buy from me. Buy from me." Okay, so I bought from just about everyone except the long-lines people and never went back. I don't need half of what they're selling anyway.

I know not all farmer's markets are like that with needy vendors almost begging me to spend my money, but this being a small remote town with few opportunities, people get that way, under the surface. I'd like to make everyone happy by buying something from them but truth is my income is very low and I don't have enough to go around. Plus, how much does one person need? And why should I want huge 5 dollar muffins that aren't good for me?

So I stay home. My daughter and her family still go to the farmers markets here every time there is one. So I did something good for the vendors - I helped my daughter and her family move back here.

^^ I enjoyed the farmer's market in Sandpoint and most of that reason was the goat cheese.

A mom up in Bonner's Ferry taught her two kids to make goat cheese. They'd take a piece and cut
it into bite size pieces and drop it in a jar of olive oil with herbs and garlic and I could not
get enough of it. Marinated goat cheese and Wheat Thins.

I could probably figure out how to make it myself but there'd be some trial and error with the herbs. I
wish I'd asked them what herbs they used.

This recipe looks good.

https://www.wholefoodbellies.com/marinated-goat-cheese-log-with-fresh-garden-herbs/

I hear ya TA.

Most farmers markets are overpriced same ol same ol.... it has a degree of snob appeal that many many people desire... 

A road side stand is much better instead of the farmers market created by a community to milk the customer.

In the USA all innovation has departed decades ago... everyone is a clone of some other clone... the regurgitation of espresso stands exemplifies band wagon business models.

About 15 years ago I was gonna lease a couple acres of pears from a friend's orchard and grow these nifty Buddha pears.  You can also get molds to shape apples into hearts... and diamond and heart shaped cukes and squash.

It was a larger commitment than I could do at the time... already had a full time job and was making handcrafted chocolates.... if I lived at the orchard it would be a different story

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-112030.png
    Screenshot_20210806-112030.png
    525.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210806-113415.png
    Screenshot_20210806-113415.png
    638.6 KB · Views: 8
vanbrat said:
True words! Love those really good homegrown tomatoes. I can't find many home grown tomatoes in my yard this year. I am on strike this year. Oh no wait there is the farmers market and those tomatoes are close to home grown, but that guy wants 5 yep 5$$$ bucks a tomato, a single little ol' tomato. They are good heirloom stuff but my budget just doesn't include 5$ per tomato.... :( maybe that is a sign that I need to get my veggies going again...nope not yet.
You inspire me to eat salad.
Here's my homegrown salad in the making:
IMG_20210806_141408386.jpgIMG_20210806_141424716.jpgIMG_20210806_141952749.jpg
:D :D
The little yellow ones are sweet like candy!

Attachments

• IMG_20210806_141408386.jpg
    IMG_20210806_141408386.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210806_141424716.jpg
    IMG_20210806_141424716.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210806_141952749.jpg
    IMG_20210806_141952749.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Hello - thanks for that marinated cheese recipe - I passed it on to my daughter who has it in her heart to raise some goats along with her chickens this time.

The water got turned on over at my property ... they may be able to plant a fall garden. Yay - that's progress!

The molded pears and apples are amazing - I never saw anything like that before.

My inverter, converter and Wav3 heater were delivered today. Making progress on the van build collection. It will start after my RV guy friend receives the solar panels that are being shipped to him from Arizona.

We are so blessed Herre in Central PA. Many of the vendors are real farmers selling their own homegrown stuff. I know many of them personally. The grocery stores advertise local produce but ship it in from as far as 150 miles away calling it local. our farmers at the market beat the grocery stores prices by far. I love our Markets. I am sort of prejudiced being that I owned a stand at a farmers market for 30 years selling my nature photography and woodcraft. The market I was at had a great mix of local vendors selling local produce mixed with others like me. If you ever get the Lancaster county Pa try Roots market, open every Tuesday year round. PM me I’ll If you ever get the Lancaster County and I will give you more information and my name which you can mention to any vendor and they will smile.(well most of them will)