24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow^ :heart: sounds beautiful !  I’ll have to look up gilead now… never heard of that

To all your seasoned citizen nomads out there I saw two T-shirts in the little town of Blaine near our forest yesterday that were great. it was a local preacher and his wife that wore them they are in their upper 60s like me.

His says “if I woke up in the morning and nothing hurt I would think I was dead.”

Hers said “if you’re happy and you know it, it’s your meds“

Truth makes the best humor doesn’t it?

God bless all the nomads especially those of us with senior aches and pains.

wanderingsoul said:
Making a batch of my super-duper, magical, there's-nothing-that-works-better-than-this pain rub.  Melting beeswax with herbal infused oils, measuring essential oils drop by drop, weighing out waxes and menthol crystals, melting cannabis infused in coconut oil to add towards the end.  My apartment smells heavenly.  Mostly it's the cottonwood bud infused oil (balm of gilead), I can't get enough of that smell.
Wish I was there.   -c

Uh oh brushfire tones and lots of them.

Nason Creek rest area on HW2 coming off of Stevens Pass I think. Someone needs to tell the dispatchers to speak clearly today I've been hearing a lot of URnostriKEMVTEIGJnrps time out 12:17

NL:  Reminds me of something my husband said about waking up in the recovery room after surgery following an accident:  "I knew I wasn't dead.  Couldn't have been in heaven, 'cuz my head hurt.  Must not have been in hell, 'cuz my feet were cold." Also something a very old timer told me: "At my age, if it don't hurt... probably don't work!"

You and WanderingSoul have really brightened my days with your humor lately!

^
Yes. I haven't said before but I do enjoy NL's sense of humor. Keep us smiling!

Regarding nature lover funny Yes.. but he really has to quit rubbing trees the wrong way...as well his feet. That kind of payback is hell on funny old timers.

I am doing a birthday (actually I take a whole week as I figure there aren't an infinity of b-days remaining at this point) road trip to NC/TN mountain area. I am glad I chose a motel over camping as the campgrounds looked crowded and the sites seemed close together without much vegetation between. Also, it monsoon rained all last evening and has been hot and muggy.

Today I will visit Grandfather Mountain (I want to see the cougar and bears in the habitat there) and Blowing Rock. Meanwhile, back home in Central FL, Elsa is making folks nervous. Good excuse to extend my road trip up here!

^^ North Carolina is one place on the east coast I'd really like to visit.

I was looking at the Nomadland Wiki just now and noticed that Suanne's name had been spelled wrong in the cast list so I went in and edited it, it was bugging me. lol

Ok, nobody laugh.

I just bought an early 1970s bottle of Old Spice cologne for a very reasonable price on ebay. Why? Because I love the smell and have since I was a child and used to amuse myself by playing with that fascinating cap on my dad's bottle. I would absolutely wear a drop once in a while. It's basically the masculine version of a woman's Oriental perfume, like Opium, which I also love.

Did you know the older versions of Old Spice have real ambergris in them?

And carnation, lots of it. Carnation is one of my favorite flower smells.

I once bought some Avon products just for the little blue dune buggy bottle! Lol!!!

^^
I used to buy Old Spice but about 25 years ago someone ribbed me and asked me why I wanted to smell like an old man. So I switched to Lectric Shave or similar. My dad always wore it but it was mainly because one of us kids would give it to him for Father's Day. I think I'll go to WM and buy a bottle.

Old spice has been reformulated pretty heavily. Maybe a little less spice and a lot more vanilla.

I've smelled a lot of men's colognes since I started getting really interested in scents and Old Spice is still in my top three. Gray Flannel is really good too.

Bullfrog, that sounds like something I would do!

The old spice definitely conjures a lot of memories for folks.

It used to be a pleasant memory of my dad... but about 30 years ago I worked at a restaurant and one of the old guys.. a regular that came in everyday basically would slather it on. You could smell it from 100 yards.

The bad thing as we all found out later was that he did that to mask the odor emanating from his head cancer. He had some kind of festering, crusty hole near his ear.

That was when I started to understand to not judge people and know we all have battles.

Now the scent of old spice reminds me to be always kind.

I always loved the shaped bottles.. I especially liked the car ones.

wanderingsoul said:
Old spice has been reformulated pretty heavily. Maybe a little less spice and a lot more vanilla.

Maybe if you can send me a couple CCs of that '70s version I could do a smell comparison test with the new stuff.

But then I might end up having to pay $75 for a bottle of vintage stuff.

I had to google to find out what ambergris is. That explains the masted whaling ship on the OS bottle.

bullfrog said:
I once bought some Avon products just for the little blue dune buggy bottle! Lol!!!

One of my friends lost his dad at an early age and his mom became an Avon lady to support the family way back in the '60s.  She saved a huge collection of all the different bottles that were sold. A few years ago my friend's mom passed and he found that many of those bottles were collector's items and were worth some big bucks.

slow2day said:
Maybe if you can send me a couple CCs of that '70s version I could do a smell comparison test with the new stuff.

Ambergris is a fixative for the notes in perfumes.  It has a very interesting smell on it's own too.  Sweetish, marine, a little animalic.

I would be happy to share.  I have some 5 or 10 ml spray sample bottles to decant some into.  PM me your mailing info.

slow2day said:
One of my friends lost his dad at an early age and his mom became an Avon lady to support the family way back in the '60s.  She saved a huge collection of all the different bottles that were sold. A few years ago my friend's mom passed and he found that many of those bottles were collector's items and were worth some big bucks.

I went into Goodwill here one day and they had an endcap shelf about 6' tall and maybe 4' wide COVERED in Avon bottles.  Someone had donated a collection.  They didn't have the two I used to wear (Elusive and....??....something else lol) and I was actually too overwhelmed to get into it looking for the good stuff that might sell on Ebay or Etsy.

desert_sailing said:
That was when I started to understand to not judge people and know we all have battles.

Now the scent of old spice reminds me to be always kind.

I love this.  Sad story about the gentleman though. :'(