24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crofter said:
When I am in control of AC I set it too low to be healthy. You want only 20 degrees difference between cooled air and ambient temperature. I try to keep AC set about 86 degrees and use a magnetic max min thermometer to guide this effort. 

You are getting too much cooling when you stand /sit on the AC vent.
-crofter

Gads! When I have AC and its truly hot out, I want to cool off as much as possible. When I worked construction outside in 90s and 100s temps, being able to go home and super cool at the end of the day was the only way I could do it. I keep it at 66 or 67 for the most part, stuff in my old fashioned 1950s fridge starts to freeze sometimes. Thats when i know its about right.  :)

And here I thought 72 degrees was the ideal temperature, not to hot or cold and it sure feels good to come into when it is hot or cold outside.

When we lived in a sticks and bricks I new it was July because when I came home from work my kids would be standing in front of our big picture window in their snow suits trying to warm up. My wife likes it cold!

that self centered pair of millenians, my workshop mates son and his girlfriend have now been on his dad's case that he has to wear a mask whenever he is around me. They have also insisted on sharing his and my shower and the laundry room as well.

They are convinced I, a 70 year old woman who tries to avoid going into stores, who has safely been cohabitating with their father for close to 17 years is suddenly a major health risk to him? These kids have been going back and forth across the country sleeping in truck stops using public restrooms, eating in cafes in areas of the country that are open. Staying with friends in their houses. Going out shopping for land in Oregon, they are in their mid 40s and I am going to give their father Covid 19 and they are somehow magically going to keep from catching it and giving it to their father and to me? Now they want full access to the workshop space where I have a lot of tools and is right next to where my bed is. I feel sorry for my workshop partner but family is family and of course I was planning on leaving anyway. I just wish they had waited a couple of months longer before they showed up.

Mailed off the big fat check to the IRS today, but more pissed that I had to pay 70 cents for postage! I mean gads, why aren't checks to the IRS free of postage due?

In other news, we gotta start wearing masks in public, here in Texas. So if I seem to bfm tyfmfin nuh muffered tonovvoce....blmfh it on fuh maskc....

Remember the masks offer more protection for the other person than the person wearing them. No one likes wearing them it seems but if you care about those around you why not. Outside 6’ apart is best and with the good weather we have been getting I just spend a lot of private time outdoors. I highly recommend it. Besides Tx like the song goes I don’t care what most people say.

After all this time, something must have put the fear into the Texas Governor.

maki2 said:
....major health risk....
Stay safe. Sounds like the health risk is the new people coming to your "family bubble." Dr. Birx is now saying that wearing the mask may offer some protection to the wearer as well. I am staying in as much as possible. 
-crofter

bullfrog said:
When we lived in a sticks and bricks I new it was July because when I came home from work my kids would be standing in front of our big picture window in their snow suits trying to warm up. My wife likes it cold!
People here in the low desert install those mini splits for extra cooling. Those things will freeze your eyebrows off.
-crofter

Supposedly a spike in TX cv19 cases. Maybe because of protests? But nobody says why. So.... masks.

I live in a tiny remote CA community as you all know. We are still required to wear masks in buildings that the public uses: Store, post office, utility office, etc... especially the pharmacy! But, no problem. I keep it on the dashboard the rest of the time. When I emerge from the building it is easy to take off. There are still some scofflaws not wearing them but I just do what's expected and don't worry about it.

And... @Maki - it is up to your workshop partner to tell his kids to back off. If he won't then it really is time to leave, I guess. I feel for you - it sounds like a stressful set of circumstances. I'm glad I can live alone.

I was going to leave anyway because my workshop partner really can't afford to keep this upstairs area. I just don't like being bullied by his son. I am going to turn on the camera on my phone and point it at him the next time he starts that BS.  Document, document, document is the rule when this stuff first starts up. This kind of bully will back off when they know they are being recorded. Which will be quite the spin since he is a film maker.

travelaround said:
Supposedly a spike in TX cv19 cases. Maybe because of protests? But nobody says why. So.... masks.

Yep...and the bars were open for a while...people are (or have been) going out to public venues more, eateries, pools, gyms, etc.

And it seems that more of the younger crowd are getting the covid....the kryptonite is not just for the super-old super-men!

Of course, the increases are primarily in the bigger metro areas, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio...The Texas Triangle...

Out here in 'fly-over country' (West Texas) it has mostly been business as usual....

Good to hear, Brian. Gotta wait this thing out, especially where the hotspots are.

I wonder if Houston got so bad because it's right next to the Galveston beaches. Look at this picture from May 23, although it was Corpus Christie.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/...veston-and-texas-beaches-before-you-head-out/

https://www.galvnews.com/news/police/free/article_dd195edf-580c-53ae-9452-34cfbdfbbbb6.html
"By noon on Saturday, cars trying to turn right on 61st Street from I-45 were backed up to the highway. Traffic heading west on Seawall Boulevard backed up from 81st Street to Central City Boulevard — about 20 blocks — and available parking spaces on the beachfront street were few and far between".

Thanks.

Stats for harris county 7-3-2020:

Population - ~7.4 million
Cases - 32,859
Deaths - 384

@Qxxx - I would not enjoy a day at the beach with that many people!! I don't think I've ever been at a beach that crowded, except at a lake beach.

Yesterday I put together a big HEAVY bookcase. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to lift it to a standing position. I left that for today. I'll give it a try or might have to phone my son for help. He is probably working today.

@Maki - let us know how the video-the-narcissist project goes. Really sad this turned out so bad for you! Praying!

@Brian - that's a lot of population. Here's a comparison to where I live.

Siskiyou County
Population - 43,724
Cases - 31
Deaths - 0

Of those 31 cases, most have recovered. 7 are still active.

Ah, forgot to add that they had a questionnaire on the site taking the sample before you can get results. Here is one of the questions:

Do you currently live in or have visited the following states in the past two weeks: Washington State, California, New York, Massachusetts, Oregon?

TA, I shouldn't be surprised that much of the recent problem in CA, TX, and FL are due to people swamping the beaches. I posted a pic on the other thread showing how Huntington Beach was completely mobbed 2 weeks ago. Goes to my continuing comments that most people aren't paying any attention at all. I've only ever seen 4 or 5 people in my neighborhood wearing a mask, ever.

I assume your bookcase is particle board. I have one of those and had to drag it up the stairs one step at a time it was so heavy. I duct taped cardboard to the bottom corner to keep from scratching it up.

Qxxx said:
TA, I shouldn't be surprised that much of the recent problem in CA, TX, and FL are due to people swamping the beaches....
Here in southern AZ we have not had access to masks and actual cleaning products until quite recently. Cloth masks have been in use by most, with a few who refuse to wear it. For that reason I have to say that it is a miracle that the case numbers are not worse. 

We can now purchase paper masks at a few big box stores, and the stores have cleaning products again in southern AZ. In the areas that were able to reduce the case numbers, the people had access to masks and cleaning products with only a short period of supply chain interruption. 

Some people had a stock of cleaning products (my stockpile was used up by march) and some local janitorial companies distributed their stock of cleaning products and toilet paper to the public. Now I know that most dish soaps will kill the virus even when diluted with water.

Yes congregating in groups gives the virus a way to spread to more people than if everyone stayed home. At some point you do have to go out though. I feel most exposed in stores with their enclosed air space and many touch surfaces.
-crofter