24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B and C said:
Drove through in the summer, huh? 
Either way, the air in Houston was bad. And "both" summer time and winter time have to have moderate conditions to satisfy my list, both-and, not one-or-the-other. And I forgot to mention, no big cities and no air pollution, and where my allergies aren't killing me either.

I moved here in the '70's. A lot different city then. Work and pay was good so I stayed. We had a paid for place in a small town (~5000) that we probably should have stayed at in hindsight. Bought this monstrosity of a house so the kids could move in and hopefully help, not so much.

Now that I am basically finished with the rig the next steps were brought to my attention such as all the paper work stuff..mail, passport/id.. etc etc and also on where to start exploring. I am inclined of course to stay here in the West and do the south/north migration. Eventually getting a little piece of property in each area for a base.?

Of course I would prefer nice weather year round and I once looked at shipping the van to Hawaii and cruising around. Pieces of land are pretty darn cheap on the Big Island..and bountiful.

Is anyone here cruising around the islands? Are any of you aware of issues that I may have vanlifing it out there?
I know it isn't cheap per se. I just wanted to explore other options. I of course will check out the mainland vanlife for at least a year but I have zero desire to do it for long on public lands for an extended length of time.

Qxxx said:
....received my "lien-free" ownership certificate last week. Yea. They did it automatically, the credit union obviously contacted the DMV and the DMV cut the new paperwork.
Woo Hoo that calls for a celebration!
-crofter

DS, you should start a thread in the Gatherings section about Hawaii.

crofter, I slept until noon. That's celebrating fer a guy my age. Joints what creak when they are forced to move, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Good thing for the TV remote. And you gave up too soon on yer call sign. You are what you are. That's it. You can start signing HDC and I'll start signing HDQ, and we'll both be our own masters.

LOL, I think maybe sofi hasn't been in Texas since before global warming. I checked the weather in 4 major cities scattered around TX, and they're all currently in the 100+ range. Woof. In my high desert John Galt retreat, we're in the low to mid-90s for the next 2 weeks. Normal for this time of year.

I'm not sure anyone could afford to live in Santa Barbara nowadays (besides which they have wildfires and mudslides anymore), but I was thinking more like the Moro Bay or Pismo Beach area, both currently in the 70s. But then it's still CA, home of 40-million brave souls from the Bay Area on south.

Qxxx said:
.... But then it's still CA, home of 40-million brave souls from the Bay Area on south.
CA in my rearview is the best for me. 

Do you know where your cooling center is??  Also "urban heat bubble" is really a thing, good reason to stealth in the burbs or even farther from the asphalt center. 
-crofter

Descriprion: link to news article.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/weather/deadly-heat-forecast-central-us-texas/index.html

Currently 103 degrees feels like 75 degrees in southern AZ. Hot time this weekend 111 degrees expected, will be running thru the sprinkler. -c

Qxxx said:
I have no idea what this means ????
Cooling centers welcome the public during certain hours to hang out and get cool, no purchase necessary. Not sure if they are funded, there is a place online to volunteer to be a cooling center. 

Your location may vary, in some areas WM big box has volunteered for cooling, also public buildings. Check this out before you need it.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/safety/emergency-preparedness/natural-disaster/heat/cooling-centers.page

You may want these:
Description: link to supply catalog.
https://www.harborfreight.com/05-gallon-Multi-Purpose-Sprayer-56167.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/13-in...trapHdXevREwrA2tYtWmxi3vK4mq0q-xoCaVUQAvD_BwE

Thanks, hadn't heard of those cooling places. Maybe more common where it gets "really" hot. We may get up to 100F several times in the summer in John Galt city, but low-90s is more typical, and that's perfectly livable. DS is the guy what wants to live in a climate-controlled place. To me, that's inside a building somewheres, lol. My requirements are more mundane.

Qxxx said:
....live in a climate-controlled place. To me, that's inside a building somewheres, lol. My requirements are more mundane.
When I am in control of AC I set it too low to be healthy. You want only 20 degrees difference between cooled air and ambient temperature. I try to keep AC set about 86 degrees and use a magnetic max min thermometer to guide this effort. 

You are getting too much cooling when you stand /sit on the AC vent.
-crofter

Nice try, maybe off by 2000 miles, :). Do you not know the story, high-desert crofter ???

Qxxx said:
Nice try, maybe off by 2000 miles, :). Do you not know the story, high-desert crofter ???
Cliff notes version, don't tell me I have to read the book too?

OK I have to go to my second home now (home depot).
-crofter

Oh sorry, is John Galt about politics? (and trust me, crofter, the cliff notes version is "preferable").

Qxxx said:
.... high-desert crofter ???
Except that it is the low desert, and due to having wheels I cannot ever give a TRUE home address but in a good way.
-crofter

Qxxx said:

I also don't know your backstory.

Today I had four things on my to-do list. One was to pay a local utility bill - I went into town but the place was closed. Back home, I started on item two, putting together a large 16-cubby type bookcase. I got that yesterday, delivered by FedEx. Extremely heavy - I don't know how they moved it to my backyard near the porch. I opened it there and carried the boards in one at a time. I'm about half done with assembly. Right now, resting.