24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He only used it as a living room when he stayed long term in one spot, he didn’t like towing it into remote areas.

Interesting,  Bob must go into areas with his van that otherwise, angels like me  :angel:  would fear to tread. There's also that guy Brian with a youtube channel, who was a caravan leader, who always takes his van into very rough roads. Maybe when I get AT tires.

I was on a few rough roads with my van last year. Never again, I hope. I'll be more careful. There are a lot of rough roads hereabouts. Fortunately I didn't have the cargo trailer attached at that time.

Went to the doctor today for my free annual wellness check. I am on medicare with a supplemental plan. What a great benefit those have turned out to be. I can get all my prescriptions renewed and talk about any new ones needed without having to pay out an annual deductible. Discussed the situation of being harassed by my workshop mates son as questions about stress are an important issue for health and is included in the health update form. My doctor noted in my health file the situation of being verbally abused as she was very concerned for my personal safety. So now it is in there in my medical records and the police scan verify that it is a continuing problem if it should continue. If it does then she is going to contact the social services division that is there for protection of elder abuse. Also she directed me to call the police if it escalates into being ongoing or becomes a situation where he physically puts his hands on me.

Then I had a very polite conversation with my workshop mate telling him I had to discuss it with my doctor as I needed to get some pills to help me sleep and tell her why I needed them. I told him what the doctor did to document it and told him that my doctor was very concerned for my safety and has directed me to call the police if it continues. Now he has to take it a lot more seriously.That made an impact with him on the "its not that serious" attitude he and his son were taking. That he needs to have a talk with his son and tell him that harassing me can really mess up his life, that it is not without consequence to bully me, and most especially not OK to bully a senior citizen as there are specific laws about elder abuse.

Hopefully that will be enough of an impact to stop the bullying behavior. Time will tell.

Getting flats and having damage that is so close to the edge of the sidewall that the tire must be replaced is one of my budget buster concerns. Decent tires are not cheap and it is very likely the most common breakdown expense of all for life on the road.

Towing a small travel trailer means I have not just 4 but instead 6 tires on the ground plus 2 spares. I will have to get new rubber on the spares before I head out of town this fall. The regular sized 6 are fairly new.

maki, sounds like you've done the right thing in talking to your doctor about your home situation and having it documented.

Tire sidewall susceptibility is definitely a big issue, considering the rocky nature of BLM roads in AZ. Which is why I plan to go to AT tires in the van eventually. But every time I've been down some road I've sworn to avoid in the futue, there are always big RVs and 5th wheels back in there. I can only imagine where Bob actually goes. I must be more finicky than I realize.

Books, books, books. I collected them to read after retirement, so not ready to just toss or donate them. So just plowing through them as I go along.

I left my neighborhood for the first time last week, suited up with mask and gloves. I have always thought of myself as such a loner, and honestly I think I was becoming agoraphobic, but once I got out I was so incredibly moved just to see humans who are not my mother. I had no idea how much I had missed the world. 

I reserved a spot at Assateague National Seashore Campground months ago before any of this happened, and was fully expecting it not to be open, but they opened a few days before my reservation last week, so I went, despite some concerns, partly because I couldn't get a refund. I am so glad I did.   The photo is from the trip. This place is home to wild horses, who have no problem tromping straight through a campsite whenever they feel like it.  I can't wait to make a video about it (though I will have to because I'm really behind despite having all the time in the world these days - where does it go?).

I showered and scrubbed before reentering my mother's house, where I've been on self-quarantine due to her age (though she has amazing genes and is probably less susceptible than I am with my RA). Now I'm back indoors with my 4 times daily dog walk around the block to connect me to the outdoors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 9.41.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 9.41.58 PM.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 9
I used to have a 300+ volume reference library, those books were my real treasures. But I sold them almost all of them between 2006 and 2008. What I was unable to sell I donated to the library. No space for them and way too heavy to carry with me. By then most anything I needed for reference photos or articles was already online and that information just keeps on expanding every year. I digitally clip file what I want to have on hand when I am offline.

I rarely go into a library anymore, I just check out e-book and audio books versions from the library.

Firebuild said:
I left my neighborhood for the first time last week, suited up with mask and gloves. I have always thought of myself as such a loner, and honestly I think I was becoming agoraphobic, but once I got out I was so incredibly moved just to see humans who are not my mother. I had no idea how much I had missed the world. 

I reserved a spot at Assateague National Seashore Campground months ago before any of this happened, and was fully expecting it not to be open, but they opened a few days before my reservation last week, so I went, despite some concerns, partly because I couldn't get a refund. I am so glad I did.   The photo is from the trip. This place is home to wild horses, who have no problem tromping straight through a campsite whenever they feel like it.  I can't wait to make a video about it (though I will have to because I'm really behind despite having all the time in the world these days - where does it go?).

I showered and scrubbed before reentering my mother's house, where I've been on self-quarantine due to her age (though she has amazing genes and is probably less susceptible than I am with my RA). Now I'm back indoors with my 4 times daily dog walk around the block to connect me to the outdoors.
You are a very good  to your mother if you are matching her Covid Protocols needs with your own behavior. Not all younger family members are that considerate.  Camping can be pretty low risk. Of course wild horses are better neighbors than other people if you need to stay isolated so you can go back home without risk to family members.

Thank you! Taking care of my Mom is the reason I'm in MA and not traveling full time, so it would be crazy for me to give up everything and then risk getting her sick. But I do need to get away from time to time.

@Firebuild - Like millions of others, I know Assateague from having read Misty of Chincoteague - and I seem to remember a movie set there. Can't recall the name. I fantasize that it is magical to camp among wild horses. Were they good neighbors? I'm on the other side of the continent and there's not much chance I'll get to your area. I'm glad you enjoyed your expedition and hope all goes well with your mother's health.

Happy Sunday, everyone!  

Where were you a year ago?

I'll start.  Leaving the Grand Canyon South Rim.  I had never cared to visit, because I don't like crowds.  So what was I thinking?!  We arrived on the 3rd and there were only four cars in the entrance line!  Crowds were pretty light on the 4th, too--even though it was the 100th anniversary year.  We had a blast!  When we left, the entrance line was at least a mile long.  Holbrook was a motel/laundry stop.  Not recommended.

Holbrook !! ... too bad you could have stopped in Winslow AZ and seen the famous streetcorner, lol,
https://www.desertusa.com/cities/az/winslow.html

don't let the sound of yer own wheels drive you crazy ...

I'll always remember Winslow. I was driving towards the downtown area, and a girl in a car came up to the stop sign at a side street, and proceeded without ever even looking. By shear luck, I had stopped dead in the middle of the street so when she kept rolling I didn't hit her.

lopicma said:
Heading to Logansport, IN. Any recon on the Walmart there?
just call them and ask.  Sometimes things change overnight regarding overnight parking regulations.
here is the phone number for that store. (574) 722-3264

Looks like a really neat historic town.  

But Covid 19 wise that was the location of the big Tyson Meat factory workers infection. Who knows what regulations they decided to put upon businesses or how businesses such as Walmart have reacted to RV over-nighting.

VanFan said:
Where were you a year ago?

A year ago I was right here in the Klamath River Valley on my first return trip from North Idaho. At that time I still had an apartment in North Idaho. While here I boondocked in some quiet forest locations that are undisclosed to most others at this time.

Since then I went back to Idaho, emptied the apartment, and came back here.

Qxxx said:
Holbrook !!
By shear luck, I had stopped dead in the middle of the street so when she kept rolling I didn't hit her.
I know, right?!  Worst part was nothin' but Denny's open for dinner.
Whew!