YouTube video request; what happens when someone passes away while RVliving?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVLouisCyphre

Reaction score
This is a morbid topic but I'm curious as I'm dealing with my father's estate and when you deal with probate you think about your own mortality and having your own affairs in order.  I'm considering this lifestyle, but I also know that if I do and it's for me, I will pass on RV living.

I would like to see Bob do a YouTube investigative video on how this situation is handled and how it has been handled; the good, bad and ugly.  From what I've gathered from the people Bob has interviewed that they are decent people and won't take advantage of the situation.  This is just as important to me as I'm dealing with probate and how ugly it can be as getting and maintaining your driver license, vehicle registration, vehicle insurance and receiving your mail and packages if you've adopted the nomad lifestyle.

This is reality, we all pass away sometime.  If you're RV living, this most likely will happen while you're on the road.  This is a topic that needs to be discussed and documented.  

What's going to happen to someone and their vehicle if their pass away while RV living?  What typically has happened to people who have passed away during RV living?  Is law enforcement notified and the community protects the deceased home from being cannibalized until the government takes care of it and it comes into possession of a public administrator until their heirs are notified?

I'm sure there are quite a few people who are terminally ill who have entered this lifestyle to travel and see as much as they can before they pass on.

Bob won't do it. Too much liability. But he might get an attorney to be interviewed. I've found the website nolo.com very helpful. It's DIYl legal. I've used it for everything. Simplest thing is to create a proper living trust, then fund it with all real and personal property, Then when the grantor passes, the successor trustee just distributes everything. NO PROBATE. just make sure to get at least 10 certified copies of the death certificate at the time of death. Later it's a real hassle, Also, most local libraries will have most of the NOLO books,

In my case and many others I imagine we keep in close contact with those that might care but really there isn't a lot living simply to worry about someone taking. One of my neighbors died a few months ago and when the family came and got his old motorhome they left the sewer hose and fresh water hose, I just wish someone would come make use of them so they don't rot laying on the ground! Safety deposit boxes, prearranged storage take care of the physical problems and trusts, wills and a good lawyer the rest. If you die are you really gonna worry about physical possessions that much, I'm getting old and been doing this many years I hope someone does take most of it and use it because most of my stuff will get thrown away anyway. Got lots of working tools I have been trying to get rid of so I don't feel obligated to use them when something breaks. When someone needs to borrow one the rule is you can but don't bring it back! LOL!!!

None of my relatives are in contact or care about me except my 87 Year old mother. She doesn’t,t want my remains or my van. I am carrying expensive cameras, computes, digital projector and more. The solar system and refer are worth something, My potty tent, stoves, camping equipment, tools. Have value especially to another nomad. even though the van is old and not pretty it is well maintained mechanically. So where does it go? Good question. Could we somehow “will” everything to HOWA and let them use it as they see fit for someone else. This thread may be impetus for setting up such a program that would benefit others when we pass. What do you think? I am reasonably sure that there are others in the same boat as I am.

My parents were full time RVers living in the membership / resort camping parks systems. They stayed active until almost the very end. They outlived all of their friends that weren't RVers. In the end I got them into a nice RV park within 15 miles of their doctors and hospital. My mother went in 4 months and my dad went in two years. That RV park worked out well because I was there to get them to the doctors for appointments.

I was able to get all the debts down and all the ownership of things before the ends. It was neat and with no issues of probate to deal with. But I get it if the person is out there on his / her own and they have outlived all the relatives.

This is what I think. You never see a U-Haul truck behind a Hurst. You can't take it with you. So who cares if you are the last one standing. A guy up the way passed a way and his son came down to deal with all the after stuff of getting his rig out of the RV park. I was able to take the ramp he had made for his father's rig and install it at the front door of my own father's rig. The fire department was real glad too.

Just deal with things or forget about it. Life is way too short to bother with a few leftovers.

Hello,
I am a retired Paramedic with 20 years exp. This situation has come up in my time but I'm sure states handle this situation a little differently. My advise is to check with an attorney in your state of residence. 
Both states that I worked EMS in handled out of state deaths the same. When discovered, the next of kin was notified and the vehicle was towed to police impound for the family to claim. The body was taken to the coroners office (morgue). Family is consulted about autopsy (if death is suspicious the autopsy is automatic). Once the coroner's investigation is done the body and vehicle is released to the family.

I keep a note in my wallet where I keep my ID with an emergency contact name and phone number. 
Hope this helps

My phone (android) has a feature that will let anyone call numbers listed in that particular folder without unlocking the phone. If your phone is unlocked, make a contact titled ICE (in case of emergency). Hopefully you keep your phone locked though.

Something that can make the passing of anyone a much simpler affair, especially if the person is ... errr.. older, and in the age range where dying is not that uncommon. That is for them to put their estate into trust. This eliminates probate and other hurdles to be negotiated after the subject has passed. The effect of the Trust is that all decisions are made in advance, and at the time of death only need be executed.

I am not a lawyer. You Mileage May Vary. Consult your physician if swelling last more than four hours.

I don't care too much about my things after I croak. There are a couple people I want to make sure don't get a dime out of it though. I did talk to a lawyer buddy about that a few years ago and indeed, it's done all the time.

I'm much more concerned with family members who may take it into their hands to try and control my life when I put on a few more years and I'm already 67. You know, the ole "well old Motor seems to be getting a bit feeble, I think we should go to court and be appointed his guardians." With any luck at all, maybe I'll outlive the bastages. I guarantee I'll outlive them if that happens   :cool:

Make a living will , just in case you don't quite croak, and give power of attorney to people you trust, not the other ones. Your lawyer buddy should have given you all the options.

Yeah, he tried to but I never followed up with it. My bad. Honestly though, there are fewer and fewer people I really trust these days. Maybe I'll just go way out in the desert and live in a van. Oh, wait a minute, that sounds familiar

mattvei said:
Bob won't do it. Too much liability. But he might get an attorney to be interviewed. I've found the website nolo.com very helpful. It's DIYl legal. I've used it for everything. Simplest thing is to create a proper living trust, then fund it with all real and personal property, Then when the grantor passes, the successor  trustee just distributes everything. NO PROBATE. just make sure to get at least 10 certified copies of the death certificate at the time of death. Later it's a real hassle, Also, most local libraries will have most of the NOLO books,

So nice of you to answer for Bob, I'm sure he appreciates you doing that.   Maybe you could do his videos for a while and give him a break?

Having 20+ years experience as an attorney, the reality of that situation is 180° different from the plans one may make.  The person(s) who find you dead in your RV will probably help themselves to items of personal property, as will the tow truck drivers and others once the vehicle is impounded.   Large ticket items normally found in estates like real property and investment/financial accounts will pass per your estate plan only because they are difficult to transfer without legal process.   If you die intestate (without a will) all bets are off and the laws of the state you die in may determine the disposition of assets within that states jurisdiction.

As for your remains, the local coroner will hold your remains pending notification of next of kin.  Help them by having that "in case of emergency" notification card in your wallet and on your refrigerator door held by a magnet.

Death brings out the greed in people and relatives are the worst at pilfering estate items in spite of Wills or Trusts.

When my mom died in '06 the snakes and maggots showed their true colors and came a crawlin.' That's why I feel the way I do about the whole thing. I apologize for offending snakes and maggots

MotorVation said:
With any luck at all, maybe I'll outlive the bastages. I guarantee I'll outlive them if that happens

LOL. You have such a way with words... :thumbsup:

My brother died in a car accident in '95 and the Colorado law at the time stated that if his personal property was valued at less than $25,000 probate wasn't required. I'm sure they've raised the amount over the years.

This has been discussed before. Depending on which state you vehicle is registered in then setting up a Transfer on Death (TOD) with your Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may prevent your heirs from having to travel multiple times across country to take care of your vehicle and other assets. If you don't care if the state takes all our stuff then don't do anything. Without a TOD however all our stuff may have to go through probate (weeks probably months). Meanwhile they are charging for storage of your vehicle. With a TOD your heirs can go to the DMV with a death certificate and take ownership of your vehicle. Probate is a bitch.

BTW you may be able to setup a TOD on other items also including mutual funds etc. It depends on the state. Here's more info.
https://www.thebalance.com/using-transfer-on-death-accounts-to-avoid-probate-3505416

Might be nice to prepay your own funeral expenses. Don’t want a funeral? Me either but I could at least arrange and pay for cremation. I think some funeral homes are connected in that you wouldn’t have to be shipped but can get cremated where u land. Something to look into.

If you have watched Bob's video on death, he does not address what happens to his stuff after he is gone. Perhaps he does not care, or cares more about the spiritual side of death.

In any case, he does not discuss his experience sitting around a lawyers office and paying several thousand dollars to set up a living trust and thereby direct his assets and avoid probate in case of death or incapacity. But that is something you could do if it matters to you.

We think our vans will only be of value to someone who wants to be a dweller, but a family member may also enjoy having our dweller digs after we depart the earth. Something to consider.
-crofter