YouTube video request; what happens when someone passes away while RVliving?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So move to a state that allows Death with Dignity then when you're ready you can pick the time.

I'm in GypsyJoe#1's boat and just recently turned 54. The average US human lifespan last time I checked is about 75. My father lived until 80 and passed from bladder cancer. I'm not going to spend about 25 years blind with the increasing pain of failed back surgery syndrome stuck in an assisted living facility. In Switzerland you can pull the plug anytime you wish once the VAD clinic approves your application. The documentation process that's a pain. I've done quite a bit of due diligence on end of life options.

Get a clue. I'd gladly trade bodies with you. After a day of dealing with my suffering especially when storms and cold fronts come in, you'd be begging to have your body back. I can feel the weather in my head, neck, shoulders and upper arms. When a storm happens, I experience severe pain and malaise like a quickening in The Highlander franchise. I'd rather exercise a dignified legal end of life option in a foreign country than jump off a bridge or building or OD on some sort of medication.

The same thing that drives most of America now, $$$$$, Lots of money in sickness & dying.

Oh my god. To all of the above oh my god. Sad sad sad

People should have the right to end the life on their own terms with dignity. I'm a strong death with dignity advocate. I wish the US had the same death with dignity laws in Switzerland. You'd be able to die at home with dignity among friends and family.

It would be nice if we could all end our lives with dignity at home, however it's a hot button with politics and religion interfering in many jurisdictions.

GypsyJoe#1 is in the same boat as me. Chronic pain and suffering but will live longer than six months which isn't the criteria to exercise a US death with dignity option. Are we suppose to atrophy and rot until we die of natural causes or when medical voodoo BS (link not safe for work or family) says we have less than six months to live? I will probably easily live until 80, possibly 100. Not a life I want to have going blind and shelved in an assisted living facility.

Death is just a part of life & we're all going to go sometime but most people don't/won't think about their own death. Who wants to sit in a nursing homes hall waiting for there Depends to be changed or their baby food lunch. That's not living & IMHO when living ends why just exist in pain so the doctors. drug companies & other blood sucking leeches drain you dry of everything you worked for, just my opinion but it's not for me.

Great News! Oregon just passes a law where you don't have to be a resident to use Death with Dignity so you don't have to live there 6 months. You can come die as a guest. It will save 2 here a trip to Switzerland, add tourism to the state & sell a lot of 1 way tickets.

Great News! Oregon just passes a law where you don't have to be a resident to use Death with Dignity so you don't have to live there 6 months. You can come die as a guest. It will save 2 here a trip to Switzerland, add tourism to the state & sell a lot of 1 way tickets.
It still doesn't help those of us who are not within 6 months of being terminal.

It still doesn't help those of us who are not within 6 months of being terminal.

Ya beat me to it.

If you're in Gypsiejoe#1's boat or my boat where you don't have the opinion that you only have 6 months or less till your expiration date, you still have to go to Switzerland. Even if I go blind, I still don't qualify for death with dignity in the USA. In the USA, it deals with how much time you have left, not quality of life. In Switzerland, it deals with quality of life and you attesting 110% that's what you want. I could feasibly live to 80 or even 100 even with my health issues. Not worth it to me being in this failing body being in chronic pain.

It will be years, if not decades, before States become just as liberal as Switzerland with their death with dignity laws and VAD clinics. If it does happen, doubtful it will be during this lifetime.

I don't understand what you mean. Oregons law says " diagnosed with a terminal illness that will lead to death within six (6) months." It doen't say you have to wait 6 months. The law just passed that before you had to be a resident for 6 months is now null & void. I don't have all the new details but will try to find out. Thanks!

I don't understand what you mean. Oregons law says " diagnosed with a terminal illness that will lead to death within six (6) months." It doen't say you have to wait 6 months. The law just passed that before you had to be a resident for 6 months is now null & void. I don't have all the new details but will try to find out. Thanks!
But the law is that you have to be within 6 months of being terminal another words you have to be within 6 months of dying anyways.

I carry my army dog tags....so incase my van burns to the ground, they will find the tags. I also lay out my plan of travel and let people know where I am going.

I spend most of my travels in and around Oregon and list it as my residency, so I guess I'm good that way. But, I will never understand why there are rules made by other people about what I can do with my own body. Without getting too political or moralistic, I know there are many people that question this on a number of issues. If I ever get to where my quality of life is unacceptable and am unable to meet the 6-month limitation, I guess I'll just have to break the law. I just hope I am still physically able to not need help making my own choice.

"I guess I'll just have to break the law."

Like they can arrest you and incarcerate you if we are dead, LOL!