New guy here.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelema

Reaction score
That's to all of you all here. I have a unique situation. My brother bought a 1985 GMC Ventura Leisure Craft. He had 7 days. Then he passed away.
His plan was to live in it. He is on disability, and used his savings to buy it. He lived with our 80 old Father. He was his right hand man. But he also knew that he would need a place to live after Dad passed.
We were going to fix it up for him. So I came here to learn what I can. To make it happen. It's a nicely keep Rv . It was stored in a garage since 2006 by the owner. All appliances work. The thing has had leaks. It needs some repair. The truck side needs repairs. But it runs.
I know I am rambling. Sorry but I miss him soooooooo much..
Anyway I am looking for advice on a 85 GMC Leisure Craft. Neither one of us has had An Rv.
So I will be relying on your suggestions.
I guess I should have named this thread. Randy's place, because that's what I will call the Rv.
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty good at fixing things. So experienced people like yourselves are a great help.
I will upload pictures when I can.
By the way. I'm located in Kentucky..

Welcome! There are a few members in and around Kentucky and a few of us from there or that head west every winter. Ask away and start looking at the old threads!

what I would do is get the exact make model year and run a Google and Facebook search on that looking for user forums - birds of a feather. I would also call around to find whomever is the GMC regional service manager (they call on the dealerships) and ask for suggestions - people that retired, regional/national service managers and mechanics with knowledgeable reputations. If you can find the original GMC dealer, they might even help with repairs as a marketing promotion for "see how durable our vehicles are". Lots of phone calls and digging.

x2 on welcome to the site.
Sorry to hear about your brother.
It sounds like you "inherited" a good base platform to work with.
That van more than likely has a 350/5.7 V8, (unless it's a 454/7.4L. engine?).

Either option is good, but the 350 will be better on fuel.

The good thing is that almost any garage can actually work on the "truck side" without expensive computer diagnostic equipment, so your options are really good on getting it serviced anywhere in the country.
If you don't work on it yourself.

Good luck on your project and post pics if you go forward with the re-do...

Thank you all. Yes it has a 350 in it. I won't be full time Rving. I just wanted to get it fixed up for him.

If it's been sitting in a garage since 2006, an overall inspection would be my best advice. Vehicals that sit a long time might have internal rust issues, dry root tires, and varmints might be living in the vehicle some where. As stated above, take it to a mechanic have them do a good review on the vehicle itself. Then have them do a good tune up, changing all the fluids and flush the radiator. If you have a relible camper repair shop, it would not hurt for them to give it a look over as well. Things might work, but there could be safety issues such as chewed bare wires or partially blocked water and propane gas lines that may need attention. You don't want to be sitting on BLM land and have issues.

It is very nice that you will honor your brother by completing his dream project. No doubt he will be the subject of conversations around those future campfires you light on your van excursions.

My fault,it has been garage kept since the the last owners bought it. It was use a couple of weeks before my brother bought it. It's been used. But lightly. I'm not fixing it up to go full time. I am just going to use it on weekend and vacations.
I'm sorry I wasn't explaining it right before. Its been a rough month. But thank you for all your information. It's much appreciated.

Yes it will be. I will do my best by him. He was a great person. No just a little Brother but my best friend also. It's a very nice Rv to be a 85 model. I look forward to learning alot from you guys a gals.

Very sorry for your loss.

If there is a way to show us a few pictures of the RV, we can probably be more helpful.