Your experiences approaching others

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidat202

Reaction score
I see alot of people around me living in their vehicles. Looks like some do it by choice and&nbsp;some dont have a choice.<br />I have thought about approaching them to say hi. I dont know if its a good idea or not. <br />Have any of you done this, and how does it work out?

I've talked to a few people, and given the website and forum address to them. Some are receptive, some are not. One delivery courier who very obviously lived in his van said " I ant one of those VANNIES" . someone else who fulltimes in a class a said he would check us out, but I don't know if he joined. I even tapped on the window of a homemade extended hightop that I just saw someone get into, but they refused to answer. Even amongst Vandwellers, there are all kinds. So , I say, unless they are seriously scary, go ahead. What have you got to lose? And you just might make a friend, or help someone that might not know better.

What have you got to lose?
<br /><br />Hmmm...<br /><br />But then, I'm borderline paranoid (not QUITE that bad) and tend to expect the worst from people; &nbsp;and while I might be willing to put myself in harms way, I'd not put DW there. &nbsp;So I personally tend to avoid people.

I talk to everyone. That is just who I am. You know that if you ever meet me. I can't think of a time it worked to my detriment. well maybe a couple.<br /><br />A couple times in the last year or two...one quite recently....I have had my willingness to be open to conversation be misused by a person and they were Christian soul-seekers. <br /><br />A lot depends on how I feel...if they look like someone I would like to meet, I go ahead and introduce myself, if not, or if they look like they want to be left alone, I do just that, leave them alone.<br /><br />Nothing ventured, nothing gained....I have friends all over the world because of reaching out my hand.<br />bri

Just like <strong>bri</strong>, I too extend my hand to all I meet.&nbsp; There is nothing like a 'Hi, my name is......'&nbsp; Some are more receptive than others.&nbsp; And like bri, I too have friends all over the world as a result.<br /><br />Not sure though, if I would go and knock on someone's van.&nbsp; I would rather meet them when I see them outside their van.<br /><br />When I travel I never sit down at a 'spare' table or sit in a 'spare' seat.&nbsp; If I see another lone diner, or someone just having a cuppa, I will go up and ask if I may join them.&nbsp; Same on a bus or train, choose to sit next to someone.&nbsp; Mostly you can tell from their response, or body language whether you are welcome or not.&nbsp; When you have that response, act accordingly.<br /><br />This way I have met some folk who have been friends for years.<br /><br />Lifey

Thanks for all the info. There is one lady living in her pickup. I dont think she is interested in talking, or maybe she is scared. She seems to be alone. I wont knock on any doors. I have been trying aa wave and see what the response is, Then go from there. There is one guy here living in a conversion van with his wife and they have two other vans with a sign about electrical service. I think he is running a business out of the walmart parking lot. He's been here for several months that I know of. It appears stealth isn't an issue at this walmart.&nbsp;

Here's what I've learned from the few I've met. Never run at them while screaming "freedom", and avoid making sudden jerky movements with your arms around them. Lastly and most importantly never pat them on the bottom while saying you're a good van dweller or full timer. Turns out the guy at the Flying J who told me that was making it up and it nearly got me friggin' killed.<br /><br />Seriously though. I've had the good fortune to meet a handful of people (many from here) and really enjoyed their company. I look forward to hanging out with them again. Like people anywhere in life, some just don't want to be approached. I prefer to leave well enough alone and not bother them if I can help it. There are ways to approach people and get them to warm up but I'm not the best qualified to explain it. I just sort of know how to do it based on my read of the person.&nbsp;<br /><br />

Latest posts