Looking for water filtration mounting ideas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuxW04

Reaction score
Hello vanlifers !

I have a Sienna that i'm working on making it a camper / live in vehicle.

I have a Berkey water filtration and looking for ideas of how to mount it inside the van.
If you have something similar, please share your experience - how do you secure it, how do you manage the water, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks !

K

We don’t mount it as it gets emptied and put away in a cabinet while the vehicle is in motion. Once we have parked it sits on a counter top. The roads we travel would have the top, top section and water all over plus the filters would flex their mountings. We just put some towels in and around it sort of wedged in a cabinet til parked.

i'm thinking maybe a water pitcher might be a better idea (I will be alone), easier to find a spot for it.
On the other hand, the filters don't last that long so more money to get extra filters.

The solution is quickly, easy to install and not very expensive. You put some footman loops on the wall and use a webbing straps through the loops with an adjustable strap buckle. It is easy to release the straps as needed. Of course for travel you empty the filtered water into storage jugs rather than leaving water inside the Berkey.

I use footman loops and webbing straps to secure a number of items in my travel trailer whenever I move to new locations.
The footman loop in the photo below is plastic but they also come in stainless steel. Sometimes hardware stores have them, marine stores almost always have them in stock and of course they are available on Amazon, Ebay, etc. The same is true of webbing and the buckles made for webbing. Once you have the materials it is a very quick installation.
IMG_1150.png

Thank you maki2. Good solution.
The key is to empty the Berkey when you travel ..... Got it.

Hello vanlifers !

I have a Sienna that i'm working on making it a camper / live in vehicle.

I have a Berkey water filtration and looking for ideas of how to mount it inside the van.
If you have something similar, please share your experience - how do you secure it, how do you manage the water, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks !

K
We installed a single filter under our sink from Lowes or Home Depot or Ace Hardware. It supplies a dedicated water faucet for drinking clean water. It's tested & meets NFS standards. Berkey does not test their filters to these standards, too expensive! B.S. (Some states do not allow their sale of these products.)
Our filters (FXUCV or FXULC) to protect against the following:
Cryptosporidium, Giardia, cysts, need NSF/ANSI Standard 53
We installed it for our trip to Mexico.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Univ...ater-Filter-Cartridge-FXULC/100076639#overlay

We installed a single filter under our sink from Lowes or Home Depot or Ace Hardware. It supplies a dedicated water faucet for drinking clean water. It's tested & meets NFS standards. Berkey does not test their filters to these standards, too expensive! B.S. (Some states do not allow their sale of these products.)
Our filters (FXUCV or FXULC) to protect against the following:
Cryptosporidium, Giardia, cysts, need NSF/ANSI Standard 53
We installed it for our trip to Mexico.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Univ...ater-Filter-Cartridge-FXULC/100076639#overlay
Just curious, would that type of filter work for off-grid camping? IE: Will a foot pump or 12v be able to move water through it? I seldom park in full amenity spots with running (pressurized) water. Right now I'm OK with my DIY Berkey w/ceramic gravity filter, but I'm always looking at options.

Just curious, would that type of filter work for off-grid camping? IE: Will a foot pump or 12v be able to move water through it? I seldom park in full amenity spots with running (pressurized) water. Right now I'm OK with my DIY Berkey w/ceramic gravity filter, but I'm always looking at options.
People do use them with 12v pumps. O know several people in motorhomes who have under the counter filtration systems. Of course they also have a substantial system of solar panels and batteries.

No clue if a foot pump would work with one. When I was first looking at the nomadic life I too thought oh I will need a Berkey. But it was not in my budget and as it has turned out getting good drinking water has not ever been an issue.

We purchased a 12v agriculture pump and modified the ends to fit (garden) water hoses. It does have plenty of pressure to flow through a whole house sediment filter and 1 micron (blue) filter. One the suction, attached a pvc long enough to reach bottom of our 6 gal containers. Then notched the bottom of the tube to draft as close to every last drop. The discharge side has the attachment to flow into our rv tank through two filters. The onboard 12v pump has had plenty of psi to flow thru our 0.05 micron premium filter into our water faucet.