Work and Play Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste6168

Reaction score
Hi all - New here, in fact, just found and joined today!  I am in what I think is a rather unique situation.  My day-job is IT, I work from home full-time (or I could work on the road, hint-hint).  I also do custom woodwork (furniture, built-ins, etc.) as a side-job.  I recently downsized from an F150 to a Tacoma, and while the Tacoma is better in so many ways, when I need to haul stuff to a customers site from the shop, its lacking.  I am interested in purchasing an enclosed trailer to be used primarily for that purpose.  HOWEVER, I got to thinking about it, and we do usually camp at least a few times a year as a family (lady and 2 kids, 10 and 14).  So, was thinking that instead of setting up a tent, the trailer could act as such...  Anyone here in a similar situation, that has a work to play trailer setup?  I thought about going with a van, instead of truck, but I just don't want to drive a cargo van around day-to-day.  

I did build out a van once, but unfortunately it was for my bother, not me.  Find pics here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/pjpi31rS6B4UaSWh8

That was a very sweet build. You do great work. Best luck on your work/fun trailer.

Welcome ste6168 to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

[email][email protected][/email] said:
That was a very sweet build. You do great work. Best luck on your work/fun trailer.

Thanks! It was a fun build, unfortunately, had to leave some stuff that I would have liked to include, out just due to time. He and his ex purchased that van while oversees, dad drove it to my house/shop and I converted it for them. Ended up only having a few weeks to build it out before they arrived to pick it up. They lived in it for about 3 months while traveling across country, now he still has it. Uses it for weekend getaways and such for the time being. I go by Stein Woodworks on most other sites, if you'd like to check out any of my other (non van related) work.

I am not really sure what my future trailer will look like, just in the gathering info and research stages now. More than likely, nothing TOO crazy, but we shall see. Was hoping to find a few others in similar situations as myself. I have seen it done and discussed in vans, just not a trailer. This one is SUPER nice, way more than I am planning for, though. http://www.rydawell.com/promaster

I will keep y'all updated, that is for sure!

You might want to check out ttnt.com the cargo trail conversion forum. I haven’t been there in a while but it was a good source for me as well as here. I hope the Tacoma is at least the V6 version as my 4 cylinder didn’t like towing much weight at all. Good luck with your build!

bullfrog said:
You might want to check out ttnt.com the cargo trail conversion forum. I haven’t been there in a while but it was a good source for me as well as here. I hope the Tacoma is at least the V6 version as my 4 cylinder didn’t like towing much weight at all. Good luck with your build!

I searched for that site, but am unable to find it.  Is that the shortened URL for another site, maybe?  and yeah, it is the V6 version, crew cab, short bed, 2wd.  I live in Eastern NC, super flat.  I use the Tacoma to tow my boat (20' skiff) and have had no issues.  I have been thinking a 6x12 V-nose trailer would be perfect for business needs, so I should be fine with towing it around.  I will not have it full of tools like a typical contractor.  For me, I would have a miter saw, table saw, small air compressor, nailers, a small ladder or two, and some hand tools.  

The plan will be to set it up so the work stuff can be removed relatively easily and stored in the garage/shop, for when we decide to head away for the weekend, at which point, the camp stuff would get loaded up.  I think a permanently attached awning would be good for both uses, as well as some type of insulation (though, we'd probably only camp in Fall and Spring, milder weather).

Need to find me a trailer, first.

Teardrops and Tiny Trailers forums they have a cargo trailer conversion section. Thank my old age memory for that! Thanks B and C!

B and C said:
http://www.tnttt.com/ is the url.

You might want to check your towing capacity before purchasing a trailer that large.  You don't just have to pull it, you have to stop it too.

bullfrog said:
Teardrops and Tiny Trailers forums they have a cargo trailer conversion section. Thank my old age memory for that! Thanks B and C!

Ahh, that makes more sense.  Cool, will definitely check that out!  

All that I can gather online says a 6x12 trailer is around 1800lbs empty.  Figure another 2000ish in gear (or tools), plus 1000 in humans (and thats HIGH) and we are still well within towing cap for the Tacoma (6500 lbs), at 4800.  Boat/Trailer are right around 2500, and have no issues at all with that.   

Maybe I will rent a 6x12 uhaul and pack it with what I think I will take to the jobsite, along with some shelves/wood, and pull it around a few days.  Cheap insurance to see, I guess.  I could probably get a way with a 6x10 vnose for the job side of things, I just want to be able to haul a a 10' break, if possible. Whatever trailer I get, will also have a roof rack for longer boards and pieces of trim.  This is a long-term investment for me, so I want to ensure I cover all my bases.

Thanks!

do your home work don't guess

find the gross combined weight rating(gcwr)
weigh the truck fully loaded the most you think you will ever have on it. 1k sounds light to me if going out on a long trip.
now subtract that from your gcwr and that will give you what you can actually tow. remember the weight of the trailer is included.
remember the weight off the trailer as advertised has no extras. no spare, no tie down system, no nothing, it might not even include the weight of the interior plywood.
with a Taco you want breaks on all four trailer tires = more weight.
also remember as you approach your maximum weight capacity your performance is going to suffer along with your MPG.

highdesertranger

With a rack on top and the small profile of the tow vehicle wind resistance becomes an issue. I would venture to guess your fuel mileage will be about half of normal empty. Renting a UHaul is a great idea and if you don’t have a trailer brake on the Toyota they can probably help with that as well. Below 50 mph on level ground won’t tell you much but 65mph on the freeway going up hill will. Watch your engine temps on a hot day as well, it may make you rethink. I’m switching to an old Chevy Suburban as a tow vehicle but haul more weight. Many tow a small fiberglass camper with your vehicle and do fine.

ste6168 said:
All that I can gather online says a 6x12 trailer is around 1800lbs empty. 

A typical (from the factory) 6x12 cargo trailer, with single axle, is about 1000 pounds empty. Give or take a hundred pounds or so. 

Typical cargo capacity is maxed out at around 2000-2500 pounds with the normal 3500 lb axle.

tx2sturgis said:
A typical (from the factory) 6x12 cargo trailer, with single axle, is about 1000 pounds empty. Give or take a hundred pounds or so. 

Typical cargo capacity is maxed out at around 2000-2500 pounds with the normal 3500 lb axle.

So really and truly, that should be easy to tow with my truck.  Even fully maxed out, I am half the tow cap.  As far as woodworking goes, right now I transport everything I use in the bed, I just have to make two trips usually because I can't fit both the tablesaw and mitersaw together (with their stands).  I always transport any cabinets separately.  I am looking to combine all those trips into one. Again, this is a side-gig, with no intents of going full time, anytime soon.  As far as work goes, I may use the trailer once or twice a month.

As far as camping goes, we currently "car camp" out of a Lexus GX470 (2006).  We fit all we need inside, plus a hitch rack when needed.  The only thing more than what we currently take, that I could see us possibly taking with a trailer would be a few bikes.  We don't do extended trips, usually two nights.  Who knows though, with a camper trailer, we may enjoy it more and want to go more often.

I have done reading on the trailer portion, prior to starting to look for one, and I really don't foresee any issues towing it.  Most folks on the Tacoma forums say no issue whatsoever towing a 6x12.   98% of the time it will be in tow will be on flat ground in eastern NC.  It would be nice to tow it up to the mountains once or twice a year, though.  We shall see, I will definitely do some more research, may just need to go back to a full-size truck, though I really don't want to.

There is more to trailer towing than being confident about the weight...ever heard the phrase 'when properly equipped'?

I did not see if you stated the Tacoma engine size [correction: I saw the V6 listed] or axle ratio, or whether it is manual, automatic, and/or 4WD, if it has tow/haul mode, and whether it came equipped with an aux transmission cooler, receiver hitch, tow mirrors, and/or trailer electrical connector and/or brake controller.

Some of this equipment and options become more important as weights go up, and as terrain becomes more mountainous. 

I've left all of those variable for you to sort thru. If you need help with any of that, just ask.

There should be a plate or sticker on the drivers door or door jamb that lists the different weight ratings. You can't go by what is on the web, different model years and differently equipped vehicles will differ.

Edit to add: Go to a travel center or other place that has scales and weigh your truck loaded (not drunk!).

ste6168 said:
[edited for brevity]
I also do custom woodwork (furniture, built-ins, etc.)...enclosed trailer to be used primarily for [work]...do usually camp at least a few times a year...the trailer could act as such...  Anyone here in a similar situation, that has a work to play trailer setup?
Your post indicates you are developing your Requirements Statement.
Excellent!
Your Requirements Statement is a good start compared to feeling around in the dark.

Our rig:
2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.

2010, we converted a tandem commercial gooseneck trailer to our concept of an expedition toy-hauler.
I am a traveling mechanic on occasional short-term contracts, the trailer doubles as my workshop.

My suggestion:
Go stouter than you think you might need.
Extra GVWR cargo capacity is always useful.
And the stouter frame and brakes are a big plus, too.

Our suggestion:
Avoid thinking 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You grow, your needs evolve.