Women Only: Input on retirement income welcome

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
Hello All,  I want to get into full-timing and I'll post later on what I have to work with as far as a rig.

I want to find out if there are any other ladies that are retired and have SS only, with SSI/SSP?  The latter is for people over 65 as some of you probably know.  It is because my Social Security was so small, that I qualified for the SSI.  The SSP is a State payment, supplement payment that I think all States have, but it varies on amount, by State.

I don't know how I could continue getting what I now get, if I don't have this apartment/home (a home address).  I don't have anyone I could use their address, and to be honest, what I mean is, no one I would ask. 

I would so appreciate any input from you on how you work this, if you are in the same situation.  I live in the far North of California, almost to the border of CA/OR.  And I don't know what that has to do with anything, but thought I would add it.  Maybe because I could use my home-State of Oregon for a base too if there is a way. 

Thank you much, Abby (from one of my fave movies "young frankenstein")

Anything that is tied to your state, stays tied to your state. You need to find out from your own state whether traveling outside the state will affect your benefits.

Your federal benefits are fine as long as they are direct deposited.

Make sure you have a way to get your mail reliably, like a mail forwarding service, because in case you get called for a review, you want to be sure you can respond in a timely manner.

The Dire Wolfess

I'm sorry I didn't see your reply before I'm going to keep this really short because I read a message that reminded me a lot of you gals don't have a lot of bandwidth it's probably not that good of internet in lot of places I just want to say that SSI and SSP is offered to seniors over 65 and all of us take it just varies so whenever my home state is I would still get my SSI plus my retirement so I live on right around $1,000 a month and a third of that is my rent and I'm trying to figure out if I can do this on $1,000 a month so I guess what I'd really like to do is hear from some gals that bring in $1,000 a month and maybe find some work along the way and I'll check in on this thank you much Denis

I would suggest that you go to the Social Security office and have a discussion about your upcoming situation. You are not going to be denied benefits if you remain a resident of California. Transient and homeless individuals can qualify as ongoing residents of the state without having a permanent address such as an apartment. Being a resident of California does not mean you can't travel out of state in your RV, it just means you have to spend the minimum amount of time in California required by the law to qualify as a resident. You could be over by Parker Arizona on the BlM lands spending some weeks on the California side in the BLM lands and other weeks in Arizona. Keep a daily diary and keep the gas and grocery store receipts and the BLM dated passes as proof that you were in California. No one is going to question a dated document from the government that says you were spending time residing in the state of California.

Those individuals who are officially California residents may also qualify for a small increase in benefits.
SI SF01415.140 California Optional State Supplement (OSS) C - Independent Living Without Cooking Facilities https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0501415140sf
see the attached article for a description of exactly what being without cooking facilities means. For instance you might have a portable cooktop while living in a vehicle but if you only have an ice chest for refrigeration then you are considered to be living without adequate cooking facilities and you may qualify for an additional supplement for your income. But that is up to the official authorities to qualify you and that means you have to go and have an in-person interview to get the benefits you are entitled to receive.

Not being a government representative or a legal adviser or a person who specializes in advising on Social Security I will repeat...make an appointment with the Social Security office before you make a life style change. Get the real facts directly from the government agencies. Don't rely just on what you read in this or any other forum. The last thing you want to do is get yourself into a position where you start missing out on payments.

Also find a way to have some type of postal box service address set up before you move and then change all of your business and personal mail to come into that new address.

I will do exactly what you said Nike that's a great place to start at Social Security and I do know just a little about how long I can be out of state and I can also keep my apartment here okay one step at a time tomorrow is a holiday here I guess but Tuesday definitely Social Security office to find out what the skinniest on me living at least part-time out of California thank you so much I will get back to you after I find out. Btw

Don't be too surprised if it takes a while to get an appointment for speaking to someone. There is a government employee reduction of staff going on at present.

Ok maki, I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work out Tuesday I'll just keep going back until I can get hold of someone to talk to they're pretty nice in this little town office they've got here but you're right they may be really shorthanded right now

best wishes for an easy transition.

maki2 said:
best wishes for an easy transition.
Hello again Maki,  I'll try to keep this short, but I have a "new plan" now.  I found my credit is much higher than I thought, so I've been looking to save up a down-payment, and find a Van.  Watching Youtube videos as well.  I've rented a 5th wheel and lived in that for 3 years so have some knowledge of living in tiny or small spaces.  Even though my credit score may be good enough to get a loan, I am not at all sure I will get a loan as I am living on $930 a month.  I now live in housing for Seniors & disabled and pay only 1/3 of my income for rent, all utilities payed including Wifi.

I feel a bit embarrassed to put that info on here, but if I don't tell you gals what I have to work with, you won't be able to give me the skinny on things.  I appreciate those that tell it like it is, and that way I don't keep my plan if it just, won't work.  I'll stop now as I don't want to bombard you and the other gals here, with TMI for your internet on maybe phones;) Denise, a hopeful Gypsy

Shooting off the top of my head, I don’t know money wise if you can do better than you are doing right now.
Don’t know your vehicle situation but doubt gas, insurance, maintance and ‘camping’ type fees would be less than what you are paying in rent now. Add in the cost of a cellphone and a plan, or hotspot plan. I don’t know you can do all that for less than $310 a month.

Haven’t followed your whole story so apologize if I missed some important details.

Yes, I don't know that either, but I could pay more a month which I would be so willing just to be supporting myself. I was planning to make my 94 B3000 into a sleeper, but realistically, and honestly, that wouldn't be right for me. I'm also willing to work at seasonal positions, but I don't even count that possibility at this point. I haven't worked in many years, and have no resume to speak of. Here's what I would have left after the bills I would have:

Vehicle payment per month, if lucky, Under 200 dollars

Verizon phone service, 61 a month. I keep that as now things like phone bills go to your credit score

If I shop right, which I'm in the habit of, groceries about 140 dollars

So 930, minus those things would be 529.00.

I don't know all the other costs, but saving for things "coming up" I would need to do, plus I don't know if the insurance would be included with the loan. Gas, upkeep on vehicle, cost of a Summer park, and a Winter park. I don't have a need to travel a lot, just between seasons. It sounds very unreasonable doesn't it.

I agree with Firtree. It is sound advice that gas, insurance, maintenance and other fees, will cost you much more than a third of your current income. Then, on top of those expenditures, an old van or RV can become a money pit in repair bills. Take it from one who just learned that lesson. Luckily, I am not depending on the van I just bought last month, for my residency. So, please a good long look at your actual situation here -- rent, utilities and wifi, all for $310! That's a sweet deal. It's really hard to get into assisted living right now and only getting harder. Moving into an used RV might not be the best economic option for everyone.
Best wishes for you, MikC

Try as I might, I can't afford to have an apartment. Even renting a room takes all my ss.
That said, I have to figure out a rig. I have been in my Honda Element, and can't do it so small. No heat, toilet.

I spend time on my son's couch, had a crappy low income apt, was on friends couch.

Thought of small bus, van, truck with camper. I think I will only be able to afford a van.
If I could work and get a loan , I wound get a reliable truck and small slide in.
Since my ex ruined my credit it may be years until I can get a loan.
Again if I could work....I have had hiv for 30 years and not a reliable employee.
I am pretty healthy on the good meds. Travel keeps me alive.

That said, van with turtle/high top really better than no hi top?
Extended passenger van?
I love my element, AWD, reliable, but I see no way to afford an apt and a car.,

As others have said, maintaining a van or older RV of any kind can be very, very expensive, with repairs in the hundreds of dollars routine.

I think that taking out a loan on such a vehicle, if you can get one, places such extra stress on already very limited income as to be simply not feasible.

You could be dead in the water very quickly, with a repair you don’t have the money for.

Add to expected repairs the cost of fuel, campgrounds, etc.

As for giving up senior subsidized housing, it could take a very long time to get that again when the time comes to come in off the road.  Which will happen.

If on a very limited income, getting on a waiting list for senior or any other subsidized housing is the best path to making ends meet.

Maybe find a way to get some road time without doing it full time?  

A few days, a weekend or week here and there?

Wow.

You’re right, you can’t afford an apartment and a car, but there must be something out there to help you as that is not much money.

Maybe go into your local senior center and talk with their social worker or whomever does outreach and intake, see what direction they may be able to send you.

Good luck to you.

Apply for section 8 now and within a few years you could be at the top of the list for a rental you can afford. Or who knows, you could have your application expedited if the circumstances are right.

I have a low income (well under 1000/mo.) but I have an emergency fund. I still feel the need to try to look for seasonal work as I travel so I won't deplete the emergency fund. Without the emergency fund I wouldn't do any traveling. Why chance it?

I'm sitting in a nice senior subsidized apartment right now.. but I'm going to leave it. These apartments are not hard to get into here in North Idaho if you have a low income. There are a lot of them - and most are recently built. The subsidized rent they offer is generally 1/2 your income. If you apply for section 8 your rent will eventually be much lower. The apartments I know of are in Sandpoint, Coeur d'Alene, and Post Falls. Ask for a list of them at Idaho Housing in Coeur d'Alene.

Abbynormal - I'll be going home to Northern California for a while... I wonder if you live anywhere near where I'm from, which is Happy Camp.

By the way, not all states offer the SSP with your SS/SSI. Idaho doesn't have it. You get more money in California, but in Idaho, you can also get almost 200 in foodstamps because there's no SSP.

Get a lightweight 1970's era vintage fiberglass trailer to tow with the Element. The one I bought was rated to weight just under 900lbs dry weight out of the factory. But I got rid of the worn out 3/4" plywood cabinets so it is now lighter than it was originally. These little popup over the kitchen area fiberglass trailers are out there, I  have seen where some people have paid only $250.00 for one. Of course they will need some TLC at that price including new tires and a lot of interior sprucing up. This one in the photo below is mine, it needed lots of TLC but I have done that project over time. You can start out by gutting out the stuff inside and doing minimal setups such as inflatable mattress and folding table and chairs. Much the same as people do at first inside of their vans and cargo trailers. I gutted out the one in this photo, patched the fiberglass, a friend helped me roll new paint on it which made it look 40 years younger. If you don't have a lot of money use a lot of elbow grease and find materials that are salvaged, dumpster dived, given to you or come from thrift stores or just some basic sheets of materials from the lumber yard that might be discounted for flaws. My renovation includes all of those methods of getting low cost bargain materials.
paint job w car.jpg

Attachments

• paint job w car.jpg
    paint job w car.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 22
Talk to Bob W abt his non-profit. You sound like a good candidate.

Maki that’s cute! Is that a Trails west camper? I had a couple of Playpacs. Love the little eggs.