With the upcoming RTR, identify yourself

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Us, Margie, Bindi and Jay (bindi&us) at last year's RTR. Blars's RV in the background.
003%204b.jpg

One of the beautiful sunsets and our RV
002%203a.jpg

Looking forward to seeing all of our old friends and making new ones! 
 We'll have our charging station set up again for anyone who needs to charge their small electronics.
 Hopefully we'll be in the same spot, across from the seminar/campfire location.
See all of you at the RTR!

Well, I mentioned the RTR to Zip, he got all excited and told his boy Red (5 months old today) that there would be other dogs there to romp around the desert with... now they've decided it's my job to get them there. They refuse to listen to any of the very reasonable excuses I've come up with, so I guess you'd best figure on seeing us in early January.
Twinkie Hotel 15 249 (Large).JPG
Twinkie Hotel 15 260 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• Twinkie Hotel 15 249 (Large).JPG
    Twinkie Hotel 15 249 (Large).JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Twinkie Hotel 15 260 (Large).JPG
    Twinkie Hotel 15 260 (Large).JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 57
Zip is normally much more zippy in appearance. In this case, he was laying there pouting because I told him to get up on the bench for pictures and he couldn't think of any way to make it seem like it was his idea. He runs like a gazelle and always wears a great big smile when he reins up to say "Howdy". Red is just starting to develop his own individual personality, but he's a happy fellow too and trying hard to emulate his dear old dad.

My name is Gene West, not McGee. Fabber McGee is a play on the old radio comedy Fibber McGee and Molly. Nicknamed Puggy when I was an infant because I was constantly, wildly swinging my arms at nothing like a punch drunk boxer, or so I'm told. Didn't like the nickname when I was in jr. high, gave and received a few black eyes on account of it, ha,ha but most of my friends call me Pug now and that's just fine.

Wow what a shop. I know so little but still it looks like a candy store to me.

Ha,ha, I've turned into one of the old men I used to envy so much. I have a good shop, packed with some pretty good (but older) tools and some of about anything you can imagine. I have hundreds of metal drawers (military surplus, from the local salvage yard) loaded with hardware, parts, brass fittings, hydraulic fittings, electrical... you name it and I need to find room for more. I generally spend several days each year putting away buckets and coffee cans full of goodies that seem to accumulate. It pays to be good friends with the salvage yard owner. He lets my dad and I rummage through the scrap piles for goodies and usually just gives them to us. Said he'd rather see the good stuff get used for something than just melted down and turned into foreign cars.

A lot of cool stuff comes from the dumpster yards too. They call them transfer sites here. There are several fenced lots around the area with dumpsters where the public can drop their trash and the borough hauls it to the dump. Dumpster shopping is allowed and even sort of encouraged so the landfill doesn't have to get it all. They even have covered areas where folks can leave things they don't want but that are still too good to throw away.

Anyway, it's a wonderful thing to have all this inventory (includes a shed made from two 48' Conex boxes 16 feet apart with a gable roof over it all and an iron rack 16' x 30') so I can just look around for what I need instead of going off to town and spending a fortune for everything.

Many very cool projects have come to life in that shop, race cars, riverboats, trailers, trucks, a loader, snowmobiles, motorcycles, a tilting wheel side car, tracked hunting vehicles, even thinking about building an airplane, but probably will never have the time. What I need is more time. The shop is pretty full now with my "Twinkie Hotel" in there. Barely room to get the little home grown loader/forklift in with the bucket off.

Right now, I need to get out from behind this computer screen and get busy. Looking forward to the RTR.

Talk about a motley crew, my goodness! The pictures surely do help but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll still get everyone's name wrong... except Bob! So I'd like to apologize in advance. 

That being said, I'm Tony! Here I am at El Mirage dry lake bed in Southern California last October:

2015-10-10 16.05.15.jpg

Me and Rita with Martha the Van - as in Martha & The Vandwellers (like Martha & The Vandellas, but not) 

2015-10-10 18.19.58.jpg

REALLY looking forward to seeing all your beautiful faces in person.

Attachments

• 2015-10-10 16.05.15.jpg
    2015-10-10 16.05.15.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2015-10-10 18.19.58.jpg
    2015-10-10 18.19.58.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 64
I'm David.  Can hardly wait to meet as many of you as possible.  My current pic, with very little hair.  First time it's been this short since I was in the service in 1972.
Avitar2.jpg

And a bus called Hannah.
AvitarBus.jpg

Attachments

• Avitar2.jpg
    Avitar2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 21
  • AvitarBus.jpg
    AvitarBus.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 333
I'm Derek.

I'm going to try to make it down there but not sure how long I will stay.

ainley53 said:
I'm David.  Can hardly wait to meet as many of you as possible.  My current pic, with very little hair.  First time it's been this short since I was in the service in 1972.

And a bus called Hannah.

I think you need a hug.

My name is Casey. I'm in San Francisco. I enjoyed my RTR time a couple years ago. Won't be there, but want to say hi to those who remember me. To this day, my one time RTR trip was the longest drive my van has encountered. I'm still washing off all the desert dust from that trip, haha. Joke!

Hi Jay and Adrian,

It was great to see you guys! Wish I could be there. But essentially went from one humdrum routine to another. Blaaah! One day I will be on permanent vacation! Working is for the birds. Meanwhile, chirp, chirp.

Casey

Howdy.

I'm Chris and here is my family. Andrea is my gorgeous wife. Two kids George and Ainsley.

Recent family photo at the "happiest" place on earth. Too many people for me but that's off topic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449723730.086819.jpg

We will be a new full time nomadic family in 2016 and RTR is our first stop.

We will be traveling in a 1997 Safari Trek.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449724058.588273.jpg

Oh and we have two little yappy dogs who probably won't play nice with other dogs so they will stay inside or be on a leash.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. PS my daughter is the most out going person in the world. No stranger danger with her. She WILL introduce herself to all of you and then introduce the rest of us and then ask if you ever saw her on TV or Facebook. George is the shy guy that takes a little bit to warm up to new people but build some Legos with him and your his best friend.

Andrea is the rock of our family and makes it function. She's powered by coffee. Super friendly and caring.

Then there's myself. Apple nerd. Adventure cyclist. Wanna be super dad trying to show my kids the world before their too old.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449723730.086819.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449723730.086819.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 38
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449724058.588273.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449724058.588273.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 25