Hello from newbie Misty

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonmist

Reaction score
Hi all, 
My name is Misty and I'm new to the forums and to vandwelling.  
I've spend some time watching the Bob Wells videos on youtube.  What an amazing resource the videos are!  I know almost everything I've learned from watching, and also developed my "questions list".  

I have yet to purchase my vehicle, although I've been planning this for awhile, and even named my vehicle long ago! I just have yet to find it. 

Like many new to the lifestyle, I don't know which vehicle to purchase.  So far I've learned that I don't want to drive something large, don't want to pull something, and I want some gas mileage due to limited resources.  When I say "large" I mean I want to feel comfortable parking it in a parking lot to get supplies, and when I go stealth.  I know many people are very adept at putting a big rig pretty much wherever they want, but I don't think I'm one of those people.  I admire people with those driving skills, but I'm not one of them.  So, smaller with some mpg.  

I'm retired and live in the Pacific NW.  I have two schnauzers.  One of them is 11 years old. When he was 8, he got cancer and lost a front leg to it.  He's happy and otherwise healthy, but has some challenges.  My other dog is a 2 year old.  So any vehicle I get will need some seating for the boys.  

I've never been out alone before, and I admit to some fear regarding safe destinations etc.  I want to make sure I have a trustworthy vehicle, and though I'd prefer to just wandering, I need a destination for my maiden voyage.  Pretty much need to know where I'll be sleeping until I gather some skills for being a nomad.  

The first step is going to be a giant step for me.  Once I purchase the vehicle, I'll be so much closer.  

Currently considering if I should do Bob's favorite thing and get a van and have it built out, or get a Roadtrek, or Pleasure Way. As mentioned, finances need to be considered.  I'm sure I'll be tapping this great community for advice, and reading a great deal.  

I don't consider myself anti-social, but I'm am non-social by choice.  I prefer the company of my dogs to most people, however, I think I have yet to meet my tribe.  I just don't have much interest in city people, nor do I have much in common with them.  

I confess that being in a small-talk, chit-chat conversations that are so common around here is painful to me.  If my body doesn't make a dash for it, my mind just flies away.  I'm meant for quiet places, for peace, for bird songs, or wind storms.  And just maybe meeting some kind minded folk.  

Well, that's it in brief.  I do hope to make it to the RTR in January.  If I do, maybe we can say hello. 

I'm open to any advice you may have, especially concerning my upcoming purchase of the vehicle, and with regards to safety.  

Take care and happy trails, 
Misty

Welcome aboard Misty!
What rig should you buy , you are the only one that will know.
Somewhere between a Prius and a Toyhome.?????????????
To help you decide.....
How high is too high for price ?
How small is small ?
What is good mileage ?
How much room do you want your dogs to have ?
With these answers we will have a little more to go on when making suggestions.....

Welcome Misty! By reading, a van/mini van may be up your alley? Miles per gallon being a consideration.

There is a very young man (late 20's?) in Huntington Beach CA that creates some wonderful van wood builds. PM me for info if interested.

Best wishes on your focused endeavor!

Welcome Misty to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Hi Misty, welcome. I can't say too much about what vehicle is good. I opted for a Toyota truck (8 cylinder, not great mileage but a reputation for reliability ) and a hardsided pop up trailer. I thought my pups would be happier if they had a separate place to come home to. That's just me and my fur babies.

I can say that I have camped a lot by myself and have never felt threatened. I'm of retirement age and the people I've met when camping have been very nice and helpful. Where have you thought about going? I've boondocked, and stayed in State and National Forest Service campgrounds. I really like NFS campgrounds because if you have the half price pass they're not too expensive and usually have vault toilets, water, and more often than not, a host. I absolutely feel safer camping than I do walking alone in a parking garage in the city.

Best wishes finding just the right new home! I have found the people on this forum give excellent advice so you've come to the right place!  :rolleyes:

I would probably suggest a minivan if you want super stealth and very easy driving/parking but that option is less viable with the pups.
A standard length full size van with a low top might be better.
A Chevy Express might LOOK huge but the exterior dimensions arent actually much larger than a Ford Crown Victoria.

Budget (buy and build) will play a large role but typically speaking most people on here prefer a Chevy Express.
95+ gives you modern AC. 2500 or 3500 gives you better hauling ability. 350 variant motor is reliable and cheap to maintain.

Gideon33w said:
I would probably suggest a minivan if you want super stealth and very easy driving/parking but that option is less viable with the pups.
A standard length full size van with a low top might be better.
A Chevy Express might LOOK huge but the exterior dimensions arent actually much larger than a Ford Crown Victoria.

Budget (buy and build) will play a large role but typically speaking most people on here prefer a Chevy Express.
95+ gives you modern AC. 2500 or 3500 gives you better hauling ability. 350 variant motor is reliable and cheap to maintain.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It helps a lot to have the name of something to look at. The choices can be overwhelming.  You also answered a question that has been on my mind...which is more affordable, a build out or a factory built Roadtrek style vehicle, used.  I need to make sure to save enough for the solar etc.  I'm hoping I can get on the road for less than 25,000, and get something without super high miles.

Build is always cheaper. Especially when you consider that a Class B is NOT designed for vandwelling. There's some serious differences in design and equipment choices. So, you'd have to redo a lot to make it work anyways. Now, if you plan to park the vehicle in RV parks constantly ... Sure, a Class B will do. But if you intend to do anything like vandwelling you want a setup which is geared that way.

Personally, I don't suggest people commit to vandwelling in a $25,000 way unless they have done it before. You can spend a tiny fraction of that on a much simpler setup, give it a shot, and if after a time you decide to commit you can take the remaining money and whatever you saved while vandwelling and put it into a new build. This can actually be WAY smarter financially too as you don't spend money on things you THINK you need but you spend it where you've learned it's needed from actual experience. My 2 cents. To each their own though.

I'll second most of that - with a couple of caveats/details.

Are you comfortable camping? If so I'd look at upgrading that in a reliable vehicle that is big enough to sleep inside. Take it step by step, as Gideon says.

If you do need an inside toilet and a standard kitchen that is a doable and smaller RV's are an option. Your need for stealth, as in an urban area, is also a big decision.

Used cargo vans are likely your best reliability value. They do get poorer mileage, but driving less because you have everything you need and are comfortable where you are can save even more.

moonmist said:
Hi all, 
My name is Misty and I'm new to the forums and to vandwelling.  
I've spend some time watching the Bob Wells videos on youtube.  What an amazing resource the videos are!  I know almost everything I've learned from watching, and also developed my "questions list".  

I have yet to purchase my vehicle, although I've been planning this for awhile, and even named my vehicle long ago! I just have yet to find it. 

Like many new to the lifestyle, I don't know which vehicle to purchase.  So far I've learned that I don't want to drive something large, don't want to pull something, and I want some gas mileage due to limited resources.  When I say "large" I mean I want to feel comfortable parking it in a parking lot to get supplies, and when I go stealth.  I know many people are very adept at putting a big rig pretty much wherever they want, but I don't think I'm one of those people.  I admire people with those driving skills, but I'm not one of them.  So, smaller with some mpg.  

I'm retired and live in the Pacific NW.  I have two schnauzers.  One of them is 11 years old. When he was 8, he got cancer and lost a front leg to it.  He's happy and otherwise healthy, but has some challenges.  My other dog is a 2 year old.  So any vehicle I get will need some seating for the boys.  

I've never been out alone before, and I admit to some fear regarding safe destinations etc.  I want to make sure I have a trustworthy vehicle, and though I'd prefer to just wandering, I need a destination for my maiden voyage.  Pretty much need to know where I'll be sleeping until I gather some skills for being a nomad.  

The first step is going to be a giant step for me.  Once I purchase the vehicle, I'll be so much closer.  

Currently considering if I should do Bob's favorite thing and get a van and have it built out, or get a Roadtrek, or Pleasure Way. As mentioned, finances need to be considered.  I'm sure I'll be tapping this great community for advice, and reading a great deal.  

I don't consider myself anti-social, but I'm am non-social by choice.  I prefer the company of my dogs to most people, however, I think I have yet to meet my tribe.  I just don't have much interest in city people, nor do I have much in common with them.  

I confess that being in a small-talk, chit-chat conversations that are so common around here is painful to me.  If my body doesn't make a dash for it, my mind just flies away.  I'm meant for quiet places, for peace, for bird songs, or wind storms.  And just maybe meeting some kind minded folk.  

Well, that's it in brief.  I do hope to make it to the RTR in January.  If I do, maybe we can say hello. 

I'm open to any advice you may have, especially concerning my upcoming purchase of the vehicle, and with regards to safety.  

Take care and happy trails, 
Misty

Welcome, Misty! I'm not on the road yet myself, just dreaming at this point. Will follow your vehicle search with interest, as I have many of the same issues and questions. Lived up there until a few years ago and loved it.  When I can go full time I'll definitely be visiting some of my favorite places in the NW.  You'll find many kind and considerate folks on here who will go out of their way to help and advise you. Good luck to you. Hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Latest posts