what do u think?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats under the hood that counts. all those fancy doodads will not help you when your sitting at the side of the road wondering why. That is a good year for ford. 80's not so good.

It's a pretty van. I think the price is a high for the age and the mileage.

I don't know if you are planning on full timing. In my mind a conversion van is really hard to keep clean. there are too many nooks and crannies, the carpet will get disgusting and a lot of space is wasted with some of the amenities.

If you're handy there's a good chance you'll want to rip everything out to create space and a more efficient environment.

If this were a 96 or newer I'd consider negotiating. I for sure wouldn't pay 5 grand for it

1995 is a tricky year, depending on build month, you may have the extremely reliable Electronic Engine Control IV, or the first model of OBD2. They are both fine setups, but the older is much cheaper to repair. The biggest issue the older setup has is ignition modules. My daily driver is a 1990 Ford, and I keep a spare ignition module in my glove box(right next to the gloves of course). Also remember you are talking about a 20 year old vehicle, so things like brake lines and exhaust are more than likely rather rusted. If you are not mechanically inclined, you may want to have a pretty good reserve fund for older vehicle repairs. That's my two cents.

I agree with Cyndi that $5000 is too much. I'd like to get it for $2500 but that may be unrealistic. At $3000 I'd be all over it.

Most important, if you're not a mechanic, SPEND $100 AND GET IT CHECKED UT BY A MECHANIC!!

Also, be aware of rust. The snow-belt is notorious for rust problems.

Always bear in mind that it's a matter of supply and demand. If there are simply no other vans in your area, you either have to drive further to get one or spend more than you should. That's a decision you have to make.
Bob

Blue book value for that base van in very good condition is $1300. Is the conversion equipment worth $3200 to you? For $3200, you do do a much better and newer conversion yourself. Or pay someone else to do it.

Thank u for all the good advice. I will not buy this van instead I will buy a much newer van and find someone to put it together.

A better deal. There should be some room for negotiation.

Sliding side doors are a negative, for me. Sooner or later they rust out.

boy...I donno...

I kinda like the Ford over the Dodge.

It's got a nice hightop on it and is alot roomier, it has LESS MILES, and looks to be in much better condition. My question would be does it have the 351 or the 460 in it?? The Ford 460 are fuel pigs.
Yeah, they're asking more for it, but I'd give 'em a super low-ball offer. What's the worse they're gonna do.....say no??

As for the Dodge...that's alot of money for a rig with over 100K miles to me...that has no interior at all to speak of.

How much do you have budgeted for a purchase, and what kinda skills do you have with tools?? Could you do your own conversion and/or maintenance??? Important questions.

Hi Patrick, my plan is to spend $4000 to buy a van and to answer your second question , I don't the skills but I am hoping to pay someone to help me set up. I don't k ow how much it will cost but hope I can offord it.

Latest posts