Stealthin’ In The Keys……..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTJohn

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Florida Keys. Cause everyone wants to know…….

First off, this thread is not a Jonny Boi lead seminar How To Instruction Manual as I’m not about to reveal any of ma specific trade parkin secrets acquired thru personal trial & tribulation along with a profound amount of worldly wisdom (think tooth here). 😎

This is more of an FYI, a heads up if u will on both the Official version and the off the record, unofficial version.
FYI:
The Florida Keys stretch for a hundred miles from Key Largo to Key West with a bunch of other islands in between the main ones being Islamorada, Marathon & Big Pine.

US 1 highway is the only road in and the only one out and is the only artery (think Aorta here) to serve the Keys.

There are 5 incorporated cities in The Keys:
Islamorada, Layton, Key Colony Beach, Marathon & Key West. Key Colony Beach is a lil hole in the wall that is basically a suburb of Marathon. Everything else, and this is important! Everything else falls under Monroe County.
https://www.keylargochamber.org/live/local-government/

These 5 cities all have sleeping in vehicle bans as does Monroe County. I’m not researching every frikkin city ordinance 4 U but heres the one for Monroe County which covers the entire unincorporated Keys area. U R interested in Section 17-3 No Overnight Camping:

https://library.municode.com/fl/mon...within the right-of-way of,in F.S. § 320.01(1

The above link references FS Statue 320.01 which you’ll also want to be aware of:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...tute&URL=0300-0399/0320/Sections/0320.01.html

This stuff basically prohibits vehicle sleeping/camping on the US 1 highway right of way and its side streets. Sooo in summary, this is the Official version now unto the unofficial version which I’ll spew forth after I take a lil break for but a few minutes.

Stay tuned 4 Part Deux
intjonny boi

Part Deux:
The Unofficial Version:

I’ve had one on one conversations throughout The Keys over the years with certain deputies who have relayed to me valuable intelligence, ummm information some of which I’m going to reveal. (drumroll)

Now, don’t think for a minute this info is gospel universal truth because it’s strewn with maybes, probablys, probably nots & maybe nots; ie it’s unofficial off the record; and one never knows when some crackdown mandate is being ordered by Law Enforcement; like what went on in San Diego a few years back. The cops still have a job to do. So yeah, caveats apply; but……….

I’ve been informed that certain areas near the US 1 bridges, pull overs, fishing & park areas etc and these places are obvious; that you probably won’t be bothered…… now the cops can’t come right out & say you won’t be bothered cause well, come on man, technically it’s a violation and they have a job to do; but the ones I’ve spoken with have basically given me a “get out of jail free” card basically saying “if you don't give us a reason other than that you’re there sleepin to mess with you, you probably won’t get bothered”. jonny boi thinkin, Cool Skool.

They have also relayed to me various private establishments (think Walmart or Cracker Barrel similarities here) that are cool to bunk up at where and again caveats apply!; where we probably aren’t going to bother you.

Sooo that’s it in a nutshell; no great grand revelation; But be aware no matter where you are sleep parkin in The Keys you are probably in some sort of violation but if you stay off private property; ie hotel lots especially!; you probably won’t be bothered unless you give LE more of a reason than parking to sleep to mess with you.

Do your own research, be creative, apply common sense, be responsible & respectful and enjoy The Keys!😎🤙

intjonny boi livin the dream

Latest posts