TT/5th Wheel Shopping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the empty weight. We don't plan on moving it often and can take any heavy stuff out before we move it. I did see that it can take up to 3000 lbs of cargo and then it's 11,000 pounds. My towing capacity is 9,300 lbs.

brian313313 said:
Where did you get that weight? The owner's manual says 7600 lbs.

I apologize, you are correct. The number I had was from one fully loaded up (overloaded).

Itripper said:
That is an 11,000 lb 34' long trailer, a 1/2 ton truck cannot tow that trailer (except for a very few new models, I still wouldn't tow something that big with a 1/2 ton)

Itripper said:
I apologize, you are correct. The number I had was from one fully loaded up (overloaded).

No problem. You had me worried for a little bit.

I had the pleasure of lugging a 21 foot fifth wheel from Michigan>Colorado>Arizona>Michigan over the course of a year, and I have to say it handle it better than I ever expected. You won’t be going the speed limit going up passes and the mountains, and you’ll often have a line of cars in any single lane road but it’s doable.

A big advantage of travel trailers is their lightweight but sturdy construction that makes them towable by standard pickup trucks, SUVs and even some minivans.
Travel trailers range in size from mini "teardrop" units of about 12 feet, to 33-foot triple axle giants. The newest generation models offer much, including designer-grade interiors, slide-outs, bunk beds for the troops, built-in generators…even satellite TV.
Most in this class can sleep up to six, and prices range from $7,000 to nearly 70 grand. A big plus for the travel trailer: you can leave it at the campsite and take the tow vehicle out to explore.
One important consideration is to make sure your tow vehicle can safely pull the unit you decide on (including all your gear), because there's nothing sadder than not being able to pull your new rig over the next hill.

brian313313 said:
Hi Everyone. I'm new on here and have couple questions. 

My Wife & I are considering moving into a trailer for an early retirement. We're fairly minimalist so in most areas space shouldn't be an issue. One area I can see having problems is the kitchen. I think we would need at least an apartment sized fridge but that only seems to come in a larger 5th wheel. I have a half-ton so very large isn't an option since we'll want to move once or twice a year. We've seen a few new 5th wheels in our budget with them but it seems like we're paying about another 10k for just a larger fridge. It has nicer finishes too but we only need nice enough so the only add-on we really care about is the fridge. Are there any other options I should consider?

I'm pretty handy so was thinking about buying used instead of new to save money. I'm not looking for anything more than cosmetic fixes. Since I've never RV'd before, I'm not entirely sure what to look for. I've searched google quite a bit so I do have some idea. I'm thinking about going to a dealer that has a lot of good reviews. I know they'll charge more than private party, but do you think I could trust them to inspect it? I would still do my inspection before buying anything but this isn't as easy as a used car to take to the mechanic. Or is it? Or should I just buy new? Budget could be up to $40k but would prefer to be under $20k. Under $30k is still ok and we've seen quite a few new ones in that price range that we like (except for the fridge).
I have a 12v compressor freezer, about the size of an ice chest that supplements the built in propane/120v refrigerator, this gives me the same or more freezer room than a typical house refrigerator.
Also most 26' and smaller 5th wheels are very light and can be towed by 1/2 tons full and mid size trucks. I happen to be towing mine with a heavy duty truck but it is not needed. Mine weighs 4000 lbs, which any truck should be able to pull.