TT/5th Wheel Shopping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian313313

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I'm new on here and have couple questions. 

My Wife & I are considering moving into a trailer for an early retirement. We're fairly minimalist so in most areas space shouldn't be an issue. One area I can see having problems is the kitchen. I think we would need at least an apartment sized fridge but that only seems to come in a larger 5th wheel. I have a half-ton so very large isn't an option since we'll want to move once or twice a year. We've seen a few new 5th wheels in our budget with them but it seems like we're paying about another 10k for just a larger fridge. It has nicer finishes too but we only need nice enough so the only add-on we really care about is the fridge. Are there any other options I should consider?

I'm pretty handy so was thinking about buying used instead of new to save money. I'm not looking for anything more than cosmetic fixes. Since I've never RV'd before, I'm not entirely sure what to look for. I've searched google quite a bit so I do have some idea. I'm thinking about going to a dealer that has a lot of good reviews. I know they'll charge more than private party, but do you think I could trust them to inspect it? I would still do my inspection before buying anything but this isn't as easy as a used car to take to the mechanic. Or is it? Or should I just buy new? Budget could be up to $40k but would prefer to be under $20k. Under $30k is still ok and we've seen quite a few new ones in that price range that we like (except for the fridge).

Thanks.

What constitutes an "apartment sized frig"? One thing we did with a smaller TT and a 6 cubic ft frig was to have an ac/dc cooler which we used right after shopping when we couldn't resist overbuying a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. We shut the cooler down once our supply dwindled to all fit in the 6 cubic foot. I find the space in an RV frig to be much more efficient than in a house one. Some units have an inside and outside kitchen, so 2 of them. For used, you'll need to shop around. There are mobile RV techs that will do RV inspections for a price in many areas, this would work when buying from either a dealer or an individual. I wouldn't trust a dealer anymore than buying from a private party. First RV? Buy used.

Thanks for the idea. By apartment sized fridge I was referring to the small ones Best Buy has. I think they call them apartment sized but I'm not sure. Just something between a full size and small RV fridge. I eat a lot of veggies and freeze/refrigerate them.

My travel trailer has a large refrigerator, I would never need one any larger.

5th wheels are really nice, but very heavy. What size truck do you have?

Riverman said:
My  travel trailer has a large refrigerator, I would never need one any larger.

5th wheels are really nice, but very heavy.  What size truck do you have?

I have a 1500 Silverado. There are not many 5th wheels it can tow but there are a few. Other than the fridge we have seen some travel trailers in the 26' range that have plenty of space. They are well within the towing capacity.

You could always supplement the RV fridge with one of the 12V compressor fridge/freezers. I have a 4.3CF model and it easily makes two weeks before needing any restock. Most of the fresh fruits and vegetables are kept in a little hammock until cut.

A smaller fridge only means that you have to go to the store more often. You will be retired so you will have a lot more free time.

It seems like an ill-advised plan to burden a half ton pickup with a large trailer just to obtain a bigger fridge. You can always add a second solar fridge/freezer to get that extra food storage capacity. 

With a half ton pickup (and choosing a 5th wheel) you are limited to the smallest, lightest 5th wheels, and if you happen to have the biggest motor and the right rear end ratio, you will still be struggling up the grades. If you have the small motor and a tall ratio rear, then it will be the wrong choice. Period.

You may also need to add airbag suspension and other components like a transmission cooler...possibly front and rear sway bars....anyway, it's a process.

You might consider a smaller, lighter. bumper pull travel trailer, with WD hitch and sway control, and then add a topper to the pickup, for storage of supplies including room to place a solar powered fridge (or cooler) for when you stock up at the store. The pickup topper can have solar panels and a controller and battery to power the 12v fridge. Or you can just get a really big ice chest and buy a 20lb bag of ice when you buy 30 pounds of groceries every week, or every other week or whatever your needs are.

Then rotate stock from there to the rv fridge as needed.

My small 5th wheel is easily 1/2 ton towable, it came with a fairly good sized Propane fridge, and I supplemented it by getting a large 12v compressor freezer, the setup works great for me and is much easier on the RV propane fridge. I use the external 12v freezer to store stuff I need to get to often, and use the RV freezer only for longer term stuff.  

Small 5th wheels tow very easily, I've seen a couple of modern ones, but for the most part they are older if you want a 1/2 ton towable one.  I have seen a couple of older 22' models that are great. The modern ones have slideouts and are very tall, much more roomy than the old ones, but the height can be a problem for national forest camping.

I am partial to 5th wheels because they tow extremely well and hookup so easily (15 secs to hookup and safety brake wire), where as trailers are a PITA. There is still a lot of storage in the truck bed, the hitch only takes up a 3x4 foot section of the bed, leaving a bunch of room for lockboxes, water, etc around it. 5th wheel/truck combos are much shorter in length than equivalent sized trailers truck combos. For instance my 22' truck and 24' 5th wheel when combined are 40' in length, where's my 22' truck with a 24' travel trailer (which is actually 28' long with the tongue) is actually 50' in length.

I am always checking out the small 5th wheels, and the nicest brand I have found has been the Alpenlite, there is a nice on on RV trader right now for $4500.  I've seen a few of these old Alpenlites and IMHO they are the best of the old 5th wheels in layout and roominess for there size. link to the Autotrader one Aplenlite 24' 5th wheel this one is half ton towable for sure.  I am very jealous of those Alpenlites, if I didn't have so much time invested in mine I would buy one. I toured one just like this at the RTR and I was blown away with how nice the bedroom and the large open living area at the back was for such a small trailer.

Good points about the advantages of a 5th wheel trailer, but I was addressing the assumed need for one based on the desire to keep lots of veggies cold.

THAT is what seemed to me, to be ill-advised.

Plus, the OP did not say he has a long wheelbase 4x4 diesel, only calling it a 'half-ton' so, for all we know, it's a small stepside with a little gas V6...

Don't know about the fridge size, but check out the Scamp fifth wheel.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/19-standard-trailers.html#!image_0

Easily towed with a small truck and their trailers are well made.

I know of several folks with various fivers that replaced the Rv fridge with a larger residential fridge.  They had to reconfigure the surrounding cabinetry a bit.  They don't travel, they are parked with full hookups, so the replacement fridge won't run on propane since it's a residential fridge.

This may work for you since you say you would move only once or twice a year.  If that's the plan, depending on how far you're moving, rather than worry about the truck, you can hire someone to move the trailer.  Cheaper than a bigger truck purchase or upgrading the suspension etc to tow.

I live in a fiver in an RV park and travel in a van.  Don't even have a tow vehicle.  Have hired someone to move it short distances a few times.  Works for me.

And...

A bumper pull vs a fifth wheel, I have lived in both.

1.  The fifth wheel will "feel" roomier because of the higher ceiling.  Many have ceiling fans.  Also, it is more difficult and more expensive to heat in cold weather because of that high ceiling.

2.  The fivers generally have more storage space.  When you're shopping, you'll see that space under the stairs accessible from the outside is huge, compared to a bumper pull.
Also, the higher ceilings often allow more cabinets inside (some of which you can't reach without a step stool).

3.  The propane tanks on a bumper pull are usually outside on the hitch.  Easier to remove for refilling than the fifth wheels where the propane tanks are inside a bay.  I struggle getting my full tanks into that small bay.  Full tanks are heavy and the bay is higher than a bumper pull.

4.  The higher curved roof on a fifth wheel is trickier to work on than the lower flat roof of a TT.  You will have to get on the roof to clean, check seals, replace caulk, etc eventually.

5.  The fifth wheels are more expensive.  Period.

6.  Fridges:  what I said above in previous post.  I considered replacing my RV fridge with a residential one but my fridge sits above the main power center (circuit breakers and fuse panel), which would have to be relocated.  Not gonna happen.  So if you consider that option, look at what's around the fridge and consider what it would take to modify.  Many full timers here have an additional fridge or freezer outside under the fifth wheel hitch area with an extension cord run to the power pole.  These folks don't travel in their rigs but may move now and then for work.

Each has advantages over the other.  It is said that the average full timer buys three RVs before finding the one they like.

Best wishes.

I'm too old to climb on a roof, that's why I keep a small 21' travel trailer.

I have the standard 6cu ft rv fridge in my trailer. And I have a 4.6cu ft compressor fridge in the van. It feels like I have room enough for a king. And, unlike the house fridge we had, Hubby keeps it stocked with cold canned beverages and ice. Once you adjust your point of view, you might be surprised how much you can put into a tt fridge.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have found a brand that has 10.7 cu ft fridge. This is not super large but would be plenty for food for a week. They are running mid-twenties and seem pretty nice. It's Forest River Wildwood. Doing research on them now. We checked out some used ones today but didn't have any luck so far.

I thought the suggestions about an extra compressor style fridge were great to supplement an existing 3 way fridge.

Switching gears a bit, if you are only moving once or twice a year, maybe consider a park model trailer. More residential and comfortable. Hire a truck when you need to move...

We found and put a deposit on a 2009 Forest River Salem 29BHBS today that is in great condition. We're picking it up on Thursday next week and heading to the mountains. We feel a lot more comfortable with the price and this is the best floor plan we've seen. It looks very well maintained. I spent about an hour going over it and will do so more on Thursday when it's hooked up to power. It's not perfect, but there's nothing that's not easily fixable. For the age, it still looks quite modern. The outside is plain but we're fine with that.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll be on this site more as we progress.

brian313313 said:
We found and put a deposit on a 2009 Forest River Salem 29BHBS today that is in great condition. We're picking it up on Thursday next week and heading to the mountains. We feel a lot more comfortable with the price and this is the best floor plan we've seen. It looks very well maintained. I spent about an hour going over it and will do so more on Thursday when it's hooked up to power. It's not perfect, but there's nothing that's not easily fixable. For the age, it still looks quite modern. The outside is plain but we're fine with that.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll be on this site more as we progress.

That is an 11,000 lb 34' long trailer, a 1/2 ton truck cannot tow that trailer (except for a very few new models, I still wouldn't tow something that big with a 1/2 ton)