Traditional job, full-time van living, and pets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my_vantasy

Reaction score
Does anyone out there work a traditional job, full-time in a van, and have pets? How do you keep them safe while you are at work?

If I had to pay for doggie daycare, it would eat up too much of my paycheck.

Thanks and I look forward to any and all ideas and advice!

Two days and no replies...I guess I need a new career because I will not leave the chi-wow-wow behind and don't want to wait until retirement to do this...

Ive known of a few people that did it, but it was not easy. So many factors to consider. What climate will you be in? What kinds of temps? What location? Knowing local laws would be important.....is your dog a barker? Would you have breaks or time off to visit the animal? Is your animal accustomed to being apart from you for long periods? What shift do you work? Do you always work the same shift? Does your work have a specific parkibg area? Is it close to the place you work? Does it have shade?

Any of these questions could make a difference in your approach to dealing with the issue, and succeeding at it. It would be something best tried out before taking the leap. Then you could iron out problems under less stressful conditions.

Questions should be considered in order of priority, which means the animals safety and comfort are #1. Then consider the laws (dont want your dog rescued or taken away by authorities) and your stress level (are you worried or preoccupied by thoughts of the dog?)

Just some thoughts from someone whose last job welcomed Mutt with open arms, and actually put him to work. So I have no actual experience working full time and finding a place for the dog....

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't think she would be quiet or safe from heat in a van. That's why I thought about doggie daycare. I work for an organization that is nationwide, so I want to stay with them and relocate to the South or Southwest. However, my happiness and her safety is more important to me than company loyalty. I have heard of pet-friendly employers, so maybe I should start looking.

Ah, decisions, decisions!

I have never done this myself; however, I had a boss who did. His was an office job and he was the boss... Also, most of us there were animal lovers. He left his lab mix in his pickup cab, windows open slightly for ventilation, parked in the office lot in the shade, and several times a day would go out and walk the dog. Some of us would offer to walk the dog on our lunch breaks, too. Dog had a whole family looking out for him.

That said, this is a moderate climate and a very dog friendly community. This dog never barked. Everybody knew the situation so authorities were not notified. Your situation may not be so great.

Everything Katie said above.

Good luck! I would keep my furry companion over all other choices.

Katie brings up a good point about where you will be living. The climate is a major factor when it comes to pet safety. Living in a part of the country that has extreme (heat/cold/etc.) temps&nbsp;is a major factor in owning a pet. As Katie mentions, pet safety is the primary issue when it comes to their safety.<BR><BR>Look at my location for example. I currently live in a stick'n'bricks building in Las Vegas, NV.&nbsp;I don't have to go into how hot it gets during the&nbsp;summer&nbsp;months of the year.&nbsp;If I decide to stay&nbsp;in&nbsp;Vegas my two cats would not live a happy or healthy&nbsp;life with my working a 40-hour work week while they're in the van during the hottest part of the day. I'm&nbsp;planning on relocating to a location with a cooler climate. So for me&nbsp;living in a part of the country with extreme temps is&nbsp;not an option.<BR><BR>Again, you have two options. You could be like a "snow-bird" and move to&nbsp;a more moderate climate&nbsp;when the weather turns too hot or too cold. So living in a van, having pets and working 40-hours is doable. But it will&nbsp;mostly likely involve taking the&nbsp;climate&nbsp;into consideration.

I will be doing just this. the only thing is that I clean houses and all my places are big farms and I can take my dog with me. he's been doing this for the past 2 years with me and so far no problems. When it gets too hot he goes swimming in the ponds. I'm very lucky in this way. Sorry I can't help you.<br><br>

Thank you Stargazer and Pikachu711 for your comments. I appreciate them.

And Cleanheart, don't apologize--your reply was very helpful. Right now I work with young children in groups, but what if I used that experience to work individually with children in their homes? Then I could take the little dog with me like you do!

I love this forum!

You work with children? My first thought is "Therapy Dog"! A search would tell you how to get your furry pal "certified". Now THAT would be cool!

I actually did look into having her "certified" in some capacity. She is a rescued chihuahua, so she has several strikes against her, for example, chihuahuas are suspicious of unfamiliar people and tend prefer just one person. In my research, I learned that some laws regarding working pets vary from state to state.

Some employers or families may be more welcoming if she could at least get her Canine Good Citizenship (CGC).

Thanks much!

Hi There! I'm hoping to be doing the same thing you are: full-timing in van, full time job, with dogs. I also work with children (Does that part make you nervous? People can be very paranoid with their kids. I'm unsure about my coworkers finding out about the van.).<br>Anyway, I wouldn't even call my experience "limited." It's almost nonexistent. I'm working on getting used to all of this. However, I can say that I try not to let people know I have dogs in the van until I leave the area. For instance, if I'm going grocery shopping and also need to walk the dogs, I go shopping first, and THEN take care of the dogs, because even in PERFECT temperatures, some people are just convinced that vehicles will kill a dog in a matter of minutes. I've had nasty notes left on the windshield of my car (before vandwelling) for leaving the dogs for short intervals. One time, literally in 60 degree weather, the note included a threat to break the window if I didn't return soon, and I was only gone an hour. No exaggeration! The dogs were doing what they always do, sleeping on the seat...happy as can be. So, I just try to avoid problems. However, I've been extremely paranoid, so take that advice with a grain of salt.<br>Also, I'm kind of in between South and North, so the climate is okay except for the dead of summer, when I'll be looking for doggy daycare. I'm hoping someone runs a less official (and less pricey) operation out of their home, and that craigslist may be a way to find it. Most doggie daycare options seem to be almost as much as rent would cost.<br>Good luck! Sending supportive vibes your way!<br><br>EDITED- Wanted to add that when I got the note on the windshield with the threat to break the window, I even had water out for the dogs. So...water, perfect temperature, gone 1 hour, and this person thinks their lives were in danger. People can be weird.

Thanks rabiesandpeewee...looking on craigslist is an option I hadn't thought about. Or here's a wacky idea: get a job at a doggie daycare and then I could take her to work with me...I've worked at daycare for children...???

What a &nbsp;great idea vantasy! I would love to work at a doggie day care! I applied at the Humane society here also. No luck tho. lol I'll keep trying. &nbsp;

Just a thought. Barter? There are people who can't have a dog full time but would love to care for one for a while. Maybe a elderly person who could use help in shopping and cleaning while she/he cares for your dog in their home. I know there are plenty of&nbsp;seniors&nbsp;who would love the attention of a furry face. I know this because I can't have a dog full time but if somebody came to me with the above situation...I could go for it. And NO I am not a&nbsp;senior&nbsp;...yet!

Cleanheart--have you thought about volunteering at the humane society as a way to get your foot in the door? I thought about volunteering to get animal care experience, but I'm one of those who would want to take all of the dogs home with me.

Good idea, She! Something else for me to keep in mind...

I did it for a short while in my mh, with Clancy and Connor.<br>wait for it.....in Darwin.<br><br>My MH has opening windows all around + opening air vents in roof and a 12 volt caframo fan (soft blades that stop if touched) in the early am I ran my boys, did some training and played for about an hour, we would then park in a good shaded space backed up to my office window....dogs had a wet towel on the floor that they could lay on, I went out at least every hour but they were always just fine, sometimes they would pop their heads up and watch me working!<br><br>Lunch time was another exersize and a shared lunch.<br><br>I realise this would be a lot different in a stealth vehicle though, there are people who would love to be a pet sitter during the day, there are also jobs that will allow a well behaved dog to curl up in the office beside your chair!&nbsp; There was a motor homer travelling Australia long term who would only take pet friendly jobs and stayed in work most of the time!<br><br>annie<br><br>

Thanks for your encouragement and advice. I'm seeing that there are lots of options out there and any combination may work in my situation. The better news is that solutions can change as my needs do!

There is an older topic, "Pets and stealth". The last post was 8/22/11, but there are some great thoughts and ideas there, too.

I thought of doing this and the best solution I could come up with would be to find a home owner or farmer who would let me pay to set up a locked, varmint proof dog run on their property where they could safely stay while I was at work. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the animals in my vehicle all day and it would be cheaper than doggy day care.

Hi. Don't viisit the forum often so excuse the late reply to your post. I work a traditional office job, have a small 30 yr. old rv, and have a dog and a cat in southern Alabama. I am fortunate enough to be in an area where I can open the windows and leave the back door open all day. My boss and coworkers know the "kids" are in the vehicle and help keep an eye on them so I am very fortunate. I run a 12 volt oscillating fan off of a Shumacher power station  ( Walmart $100 +/-). They also have Pet Cool Mats (9.00 ea @ Ollie's) to lay on which work pretty well. So far we haven't had a problem. This is our second summer in Alabama. Since you will be in a van I would think you need to screen off the door area so that you can leave it open and keep the pets inside. Having "fur kids" makes living this way a little more complicated but doable.