TMG's Van Thread! (Picture-heavy.)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I've been ousted.

I actually linked to this forum in that other location - not sure if that's what you followed to get here. I always recommend this place to people who are interested in the lifestyle.

(Don't tell the guys about my repairs, they're still a secret here.)

I'm in NC already. Planned trajectory is NC > SC > GA > FL > AL > MS > LA > TX > NM > AZ. I'll be at the RTR for January / end of December. You should come.

TMG51 said:
Ah, I've been ousted.

I actually linked to this forum in that other location - not sure if that's what you followed to get here. I always recommend this place to people who are interested in the lifestyle.

(Don't tell the guys about my repairs, they're still a secret here.)

I'm in NC already. Planned trajectory is NC > SC > GA > FL > AL > MS > LA > TX > NM > AZ. I'll be at the RTR for January / end of December. You should come.

10-4, I saw a slight difference in info between the two which is understandable considering the total difference in demographic between the two sites. 

While I doubt I'd have my van ready for full time van dwelling by December, I think going to the RTR might allow me to get some ideas. I'm down to go for sure, and it's really close to me.

Nice find :)

In your first picture post, last pic, its from the back and shows 2 floor penetrations, both looking similar to a black toilet ring. What are those? Thanks!

BradKW said:
Nice find  :)

In your first picture post, last pic, its from the back and shows 2 floor penetrations, both looking similar to a black toilet ring. What are those? Thanks!

Those are the receiving spots in the floor for the table support. I've since moved one.

So, my shower floor went through its third iteration last night. It cost me about $50 in materials from Lowe's (not including the majority of a 6 pack from across the street) but that price came with explicit presumed free use of their parking lot for the project, so I considered it a fair trade.

1) When I bought the van, the bit of floor covering the shower basin was this foolish folding thing made of low quality plywood, vinyl, and metal trim. It was quite good at soaking up residual moisture from the shower and cultivating growths. Also, because it rested on top of the tub, it made this piece almost 1" higher than the rest of the floor, creating the least headroom anywhere in the van. Not acceptable.

pp9FOB7.jpg

kH2jd2s.jpg

2) For a temporary solution, I found these corrugated plastic bits and used them to fill in the space along with some rubber matting underneath that would allow drainage. It was light, not mildew-incuding, and level with the rest of the floor, but never intended to be a permanent solution: The corrugated bits let dirt fall below, the rubber mats made it difficult to clean, and it just wasn't a tight setup in general.

sgVuxs0.jpg
nVCLfLm.jpg

3) I spent a while thinking about what would make a sturdy platform, but not allow moisture wicking materials to contact the shower floor, and also prevent material from falling into the shower basin when in place, yet still be flush with the rest of the floor so as not to reduce head room... I settled on a design using plywood and PVC. The diameter PVC pipe I chose created exactly the right height to make the top of the plywood flush with the floor. And of course, PVC doesn't rot or wick moisture.

zLX2are.jpg
Wgm0kf4.jpg

Then, I used some rubber flooring material that hooks together to create the right dimensions... it's only 1/8" thick so it didn't cost me head room... and the snap-on edges cover the gap between the floor and the shower preventing crud from falling in there when it's not being used as a shower.

6Z3377c.jpg

...and after trimming everything in place I have a new shower floor! Much nicer than before. Start to finish ~2 hours.

JeGg7OG.jpg

ALSO I did this.... but I'm probably the only one who'll find it funny...

2UAYLwA.jpg

cYeBFSt.jpg

That's an interesting shower system...I really like how it's dual purpose doesn't take away from available living space. I assume there's some way to use a shower curtain to contain water? How effective is it? And how does it store away, both when wet and after drying?

This really has me thinking...a shower is something I want, but I don't like the "straddle the commode" wet rooms, which leaves having to dedicate a 2' x2' space. If you were going to rebuild your toilet/shower area from scratch, what would you do differently? Thanks :)

BradKW said:
That's an interesting shower system...I really like how it's dual purpose doesn't take away from available living space. I assume there's some way to use a shower curtain to contain water? How effective is it? And how does it store away, both when wet and after drying?

This really has me thinking...a shower is something I want, but I don't like the "straddle the commode" wet rooms, which leaves having to dedicate a 2' x2' space. If you were going to rebuild your toilet/shower area from scratch, what would you do differently?  Thanks  :)

Yes, the curtain runs on a track on the ceiling to surround the shower basin. I added some clips where the curtain meets the bathroom walls so that no water escapes at the corners. It works perfectly.

I was also concerned initially as to whether I would have to take the curtain down to dry it. I've never had to do so once. Instead, I've found I can drape half of the curtain over the shower door (the dry side of the curtain) and leave it like that to dry out while still on the rail. Don't get the plastic curtain liners, and don't get the heavy fabric liners - instead get the thin fabric ones that feel almost like a polyester shirt. They're light, they breathe, and they dry out quickly. It only takes ~2 hours to dry out the curtain in the van this way. It helps to have a fan on exhaust for airflow.

If I were to build the shower and toilet from scratch... well, I'd leave the toilet out. But my opinion may not be the one you want there since I simply don't want to use the holding tanks for poo. I think if I could choose, I wouldn't have the shower in the middle of the hallway, only because it makes that floor piece a little more difficult. But it works perfectly fine as is.

LLE3Hk4.jpg
8T7JUfd.jpg

IcEvIwR.jpg

I made some drinking glass holder thing-er-ma-jiggers.

I decided I wanted a way to store drinking glasses inverted, in a way that would be secure while driving and easy to slip in place. I chose the inside of one of my cabinets for this. Because the cabinet doors are just a frame around a piece of veneer, I needed something more substantial to screw to. So step #1 was to create some beveled panels that would fit inside the door.

WHO SAYS you can't run a circular saw inside a van?!

lTVmH71.jpg

...cabinet outside:

CniR2vU.jpg

Panels and drinking glasses in place. Also that's a broomhead down below on the bottom panel.

7W2dn38.jpg

So the secret to my fastener-hanger-thinger? I debated quite a while over the best solution. I felt something spring-loaded to secure the glasses under tension would be easiest to operate (just slip the glasses on and have them secured). After trying to come up with some kind of spring lever/rubber pad contraption, I decided on something very simple and cheap.

Little curly bits of romex! Works perfect.

Du9PRH4.jpg

Great way of thinking outside the box :)  I really like the way you store your pans too.

B and C said:
Great way of thinking outside the box :)  I really like the way you store your pans too.

Yeah, my thinking is that an item has to be both secured and easy to access. Otherwise I'm not going to enjoy using it. So I fidget with things until I get them right for me.

The glasses, just pick up and slide back.

Those pans, just tilt away from the hook and pick up, reverse to put back.

I also showed my cast iron hold downs at one point. I used a latch along with some custom shaped wire from a paint can bail. Just flip a lever and the pan is free.

7A7xzLp.jpg

Now that I see the picture of your cast iron hold downs, I remember reading about them, very nice.  The older I get the less I remember, darn CRS :s

Don't your pans scratch up the doors they are mounted to?

B and C said:
Don't your pans scratch up the doors they are mounted to?

Hmm I don't really care if they do so I hadn't worried about it. But I just checked: The black surface the cast iron pans are mounted to actually used to be the floorplate of a treadmill, and it isn't scratched. The cabinet doors down below with the other pans on them are that fake veneer paneling crap which I hate so I would consider scratches an improvement. They do currently show wear marks where the pans sit. If it ever bothers me, I'll cover the panels up with something more resilient.

I found this abandoned kiddie park thing in the middle of nowhere, S.C., on my way to Myrtle Beach. Thought the van fit in nicely...

gY3X32G.jpg

...and the beach at sunset...

cGP9Y5F.jpg

TMG51 said:
I found this abandoned kiddie park thing in the middle of nowhere, S.C., on my way to Myrtle Beach. Thought the van fit in nicely...

I've been by that park many times on the way down from D.C.

lterry said:
I've been by that park many times on the way down from D.C.

It was seldom traveled that day! The road had actually washed out and been closed off some long ways back. I took a chance and drove my van over the washout to avoid going around.

TMG51 said:
It was seldom traveled that day! The road had actually washed out and been closed off some long ways back. I took a chance and drove my van over the washout to avoid going around.

That's not the one right off of the interstate? The one I'm thinking of was mostly pink and purple.

TMG51:

I have really enjoyed this thread, and your work on your dwelling is both well done and inspiring!

Like the looks of the engine and tranny. What prep work did you do before you (I assume) painted it?

Thanks.

lterry said:
That's not the one right off of the interstate? The one I'm thinking of was mostly pink and purple.

Maybe - dunno, I was just following a state highway (didn't take the interstate). There were 3-4 little "castles."

speedhighway46 said:
TMG51:

I have really enjoyed this thread, and your work on your dwelling is both well done and inspiring!

Like the looks of the engine and tranny. What prep work did you do before you (I assume) painted it?

Thanks.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! But as far as the engine/trans I have a confession to make. I was pretending not to admit I'd had them both replaced. Didn't want to admit I'd had the work done. :D But they're now both Jasper certified with 100k/3yr warranty...