A Minimalist Design Thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
The idea is to maximize the minimize so as to obtain the most with the least. How to adjust or adapt ones attitude and choices to their daily living to be comfortable without stuff? Not an easy thing in our consumerist society where everything is easily obtained yet shackles us to our belongings and the corresponding obligations.
After living in a minivan for four years, looking to evolve into another rig and planning a build out.
What does one really need? Enough for a reasonable amount of necessities and comfort but not more, so as to gain space, save weight, better manueverability,  max. mpg, reduce clutter. 

Basically the first important thing is shelter. A safe place with protection from the elements to rest and sleep. That's the most important. Followed by the ability to transport yourself and belongings efficiently. Third is just enough shelter and room for daily activities. That is basically the requirement for me and a rig and how it should be prioritized. The best, efficient, reliable rig with enough room to sleep and live in.
Anything more, excess?
How big a comfort zone do I need to be happy? The less money I spend, the longer and farther I can travel.

Today's RV and status quo is too have all the luxury and convenience packed into as much overall space/ size that one can afford.

I want to go in the other direction to optimize valuable real estate which must be carried and the associated costs of hauling, space and ownership, thus time and money. For me, the lifestyle is about true freedom, simple living, minimal shackles from stuff. Of course it will be different for all of us.

So what do I really need vs want? 
One thread on here by Rabbit was the inspiration to assess this. His suggestion was basically shower in a bag. Brilliantly simple, light weight, folds up when not in use taking no space, and cheap. This led me to thinking about planning space by prioritizing, what gets used the most and allocating to that need.
For instance, kitchens and bathrooms. How much time is spent there and how much space should it take up? Very little, if any imho.

So what do we spend the most time on and be the largest use of space?
Sleep, sitting, desk/tasks, thinking/reading/ entertainment seems to me to be the order of priorities. Cooking and bath are minimal time and priority to me so those space allocations should be small accordingly. 
Other necessary aspects are storage and simply, comfortable living area or just comfort space if you will.

To me, space is not to be ignored. It is the ultimate luxury and enhancement to liveability.
Have comfortable room as opposed to packing every conceivable minimal convenience tightly into a restricted space. What do I need and what can I live without? How to minimize the comfort zone yet be comfortable and happy?

So in planning so far, have come up with the following ideas;
1. Sleeping is one activity that takes up a good portion of our lives and so important to give space and comfort, when in use. Rest of the time it is dead space.
Murphy style bed, drop down from vertical to horizontal. Space gain to be used for seating  area that folds down under bed. This over comes the converted couch to bed setup which is hard to get truly comfortable and  distorts the mattress sitting area. And generic foam cut into two parts isn't as comfortable as a real mattress. Ever keep falling into the foam cracks as you sleep?

2. Bath area to fold out for use. Using Rabbit's idea of fold out rods to hold the bag in place, use swing out rods with curtains instead. Water to collect into a pull out drawer basin from under a seat. Takes no space when not in use.

3. One sink, no pump or plumbing or hot water.
Simple garden sprayer for faucet for both sink and the shower, placed side by side. Heat hot water on stove when needed. How often does one need hot water and the necessary water heater on demand expense, space, weight and complexity?

4. Single stove burner for cooking and heating ala Bob Wells magic. Is more than this necessary? Portable and removable gains counter space when not in use. How many hours of cooking is there? Yes it's impressive to have the six burner Viking pro chef but at this stage in my life, so past trying to impress and feed my ego. 

5. No oven as it's a space and energy hog. This will be heresy to many ingrained to baking/ roasting habits but get it on the road when you have that urge for fresh baked goods. Why carry and waste that space for infrequent use?  And it is inefficient cooking, using air transfer and uses up more fuel than necessary. Mobile living is like nature ideally, don't carry more than you have to and always be efficient in action or movement. Look at how animals live, everything is efficiently done with little waste and no excess. Our living should be the same.

6. No fridge. Again, this will be sacrilege to many on here. Why spend the $1000s on solar and fridge if not necessary? I understand why, it's rhetorical. In my 4 years without a fridge, found that when I need something cold, I go out and treat myself, don't need to lug it around
constantly or use up space. But, but, yeah. Found that I can live on fresh, dry and canned well enough. Frozen is a luxury. Lots of things will keep long enough without a fridge. Eliminate dairy, alcohol, wheat, corn, beef, all the things that you think you need an oven or fridge for and maybe you will be healthier? Think about it.

6. Storage ideas. The first place to start is to minimize what you need storage space for. This is tricky as living in an RV, needs lots to maintain the lifestyle on the road as one must be truly self contained ideally. Needed? Utility? These are all valid questions and different for all. Finding nooks and crannies to stuff things is what it is all about. Basement storage and overhead storage are the two space efficient ways to go. 

7. Utilize sliding doors instead of hinged on, cabinets. Cheaper, less complex, allows for lighter doors that don't swing out and need to be locked into position.

8. Wire rack upper shelving, light and strong and not ridiculously expensive.

9. The rig itself, just right big enough. A van is an  ideal way to start for solo. Are there variations that would optimize even more? Exploring this right now.

10. Entertainment, hobbies and past times.
This should not be underrated. Actually very important to keep the mind active. Allocating space accordingly will be beneficial. Now this can be as simple as a tablet or laptop spot with an angled holder. Or swing out TV. A desk and or pull out surface can be useful or dual purpose table. How to incorporate this?Lots of ideas online and this will be specific to setup.

11. Empty space. This is room and comfort imho. Not being cramped, imprisoned by your stuff in an RV. Design efficiency to gain the luxury of space, free movement. Smart design and reduced stuff yields empty space, breathing room and comfort. That's why we all migrate to bigger is better. But this is only true to a certain extent and why the Class B and B+ are getting popular right now.

Yeah, this was long but ideally thought provoking for some or many. The more planning that you put into a build, hopefully better results. And isn't this the purpose of a forum, share knowledge and entertainment?

Have you got any space saving ideas or thoughts that are ingenious that you would care to share and help out others?

Wow, great list there!

It's all a tradeoff between mobility and comfort.

There's people who live out of bicycle trailers. Never spend a dime on gas, and they save on healthcare due to the fitness.
I could probably do that for a limited time, but it might get old real fast, especially during a storm. If it weren't for my significant other's health problems, I'd probably bike across the country once. But I like my hot showers and my standup headroom.

One hack that I do to save space is sleep in a hammock. Suprisingly it's more comfortable than mattress and doctors even prescribe them for back problems. When you're done sleeping, just unclip the hammock and it folds away into a tiny pouch.

Just a few thoughts on your list. 

Shower: Instead of the foldable rig why not use a 2 gallon weed sprayer? Adventure Vanman on youtube described a good set up I used and it worked really well. I boondocked away from people so in my case I didn't need the privacy of a curtain. I had a mat to stand on outside my truck and showered right out in the open. Just a small sauce pan of boiling water added to the 2 gallon sprayer made it a nice hot shower. Also I would use the sprayer as a water container making it pull double duty. 

Sink: How about eliminating that all together and saving more space? I found I didn't need a sink because like you I used canned/dried goods and going solo the amount of pans and dishes used every day was so minimal that it never justified a sink. I can also say I never missed not having a sink.

Oven: Probably a good idea not to have one but if you change your mind Bob Wells did a youtube video on one that folds up to a small flat shape.

Finally, one thing to consider adding is generator and a battery charger. I had a generator and the space it took up was worth it. The charger I forgot to pack and of course I got stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. Oh and another device that you should strongly consider is a SPOT3 again Bob did a video on it. I felt a lot better going offroad with it since the service included towing insurance up to 50 miles from any road at no cost. It also allows you to check in and let others know if you're okay or you need help. It works by satellite not wifi so you don't have to woory about 4G coverage.

If you need any info or how I did finding boondocking sites (like favorite campsites) just PM me.

I have completely different priorities so your list would not be good for me.  

Priorities for me:
cooking and eating
having a heater
having comfortable bathing (I use the basin bath)
standing up in the van
lying down in the van (I don't sit much)
having my stuff rodent proof and bug proof (I don't use any drawers or shelves)
having the big van side door to view the world when I am parked someplace great
having the big van windshield to view the world when driving
comfortable van seat for driving ( I cannot sit in Chevrolet seats anymore, sadly)
garage area in the van for tools and toys, and some weight to keep the back wheels on the ground
a good cooler for longer storage with extra insulation
privacy in the van

What could be better wishlist:

european style rear windows with screens
some more solar = can't decide between a suitcase and a roof rack
a satellite phone with unlimited free data

vanman2300 said:
Shower:  showered right out in the open.

Sink: How about eliminating that all together 

Oven:  Bob Wells did a youtube video on one that folds up to a small flat shape.

Finally, one thing to consider adding is generator and a battery charger.  consider is a SPOT3 again Bob did a video on it.  It works by satellite not wifi so you don't have to woory about 4G coverage.

I agree that you can shower outside, especially in your bathing suit. This keeps the van drier inside. Personally, I don't shower. 
I do not have a sink. I use a couple of those plastic basins, one for the bath, one for the dishes. Basins are used to store frequently used items when on the road. It's nice to have something to stand on: a slatted wood step, or a basin to catch the water. I use a water heater pan ($10)
I use paper towels for cleaning dishes, and rinse in hot water.
I put in an oven (camp chef) for roasting meats and for a fireproof place to put the heater. 
If I lived in the southwest I would get a solar oven.
My Ryobi generator has a 12 volt output I used to charge the main battery when dead (I had alternator issues in my previous rig) I thought the generator was a luxury until I needed it in the no cell service outback.

Here is Bob's video on the spot3 and compares brands.  I want one.     ~crofter

My 2¢ on your ideas:

1.  I like a dedicated bed that is all ready for me to jump into.  I agree that a comfortable bed is a necessity.  Years of mountaineering/backpacking taught me that I can put up with miserable conditions if I know I have a warm, dry, comfortable bed to crawl into at the end of the day.
  - A murphy bed takes up wall space that could better be used for storage.
  - A couch/bed, futon style, is uncomfortable as it has a seam right where I want to lay.
  - A table, seats (booth style) works but you give up storage and have to make the bed every night.
  - A hammock doesn't work well for me or the dog.
A twin bed, made up so I can stop and jump right in is the best choice for me.  Lots of storage underneath and this is where the pup spends most of his time, staying out of my way.

2.  A daily bath/shower is a luxury that humans got along without for millennia.  I use a sunshower when conditions permit, use a campground, truck stop, community center, health club shower when available.  Otherwise a sponge bath suffices.

3.  No sink, I use a plastic tote that my dishes reside in.  Water is in 1 gallon jugs for ease of handling/filling.  With minimal water usage disposal of grey water is not a problem.

4.  A MSR XGK backpacking stove works for me.  Stores in a plastic bin with nesting backpacking cook set, dish set and utensils.

5.  Haven't used an oven in years.  My diet and cooking is simple.  I only boil water inside, all cooking is done outside.

6.  Here is where I draw the line.  I often spend 10+ days away from 'civilization', so I can't just run out and grab a cold beer.  And 10 days without ice cream is barbaric.  Yes it is a luxury, but the object of my home is not to see how primitive I can live.  My diet consists of a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables; hard to keep for long if not refrigerated.

7.  Why doors?  I have everything in plastic totes.  Things don't get scrambled when traveling.  Totes kept on shelf when in motion with bungie cords across front, not pretty but it works; plus I can label contents on the front of the tote.

8.  Wire racks are a good choice.

9.  Standing upright is important for me.  Spent enough years sleeping/lounging/dressing/cooking in a backpacking tent.  Luxury but standing up to dress is much easier on my old joints.  Currently a pop-up camper meets my needs but am looking at either a small cargo trailer or Ford Transit type vehicle when my going far off the beaten track is no longer a requirement.

10.  For me a table is not necessary.  A comfortable chair with a lap desk for writing or computer works.  I generally eat standing up at the counter or outside.  Entertainment is usually outside, reading, or on the computer. Seldom watch TV, haven't seen a movie in years.

11.  I like space and light so I designed my camper to feel open, with windows at standing height and when in bed.  I like air movement so I have strategically placed fans to give me air when in bed and sitting.  I try to be outside as much as possible.

Bottom line is that all we need is a place that keeps us warm and dry, that stores our few necessary possessions, and enough food until we can gather more; think backpacking.  Everything else is a luxury.

I do have some contributions, some that people in many homes use and others abhor because they don't think it looks nice: use wall and door space/surfaces for storage.

I have my spices and some of my kitchen utensils hung on magnets attached to the paneling around my kitchen area. I think it looks great; the metal spice cylinders are labeled so they are easy to read without pulling them out of any contraption, and the minimalist look of simply being stuck to the wall looks as good as any spice rack you have jammed somewhere taking up a ridiculous amount of space. Ever see those shows with fancy kitchens that have pots and knives hung from/on racks on the walls? It's even better when you have less room. Plus having the spices so perfectly handy and visible encourages me to use them more.

I've got a magnetic calendar/note area stuck up the same way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB5D45/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A less splendid looking but really handy thing is a hanging shoe holder. I have one on each side of my bathroom door, and together they give me over 20 pockets to hang stuff in. Make it look neater by stuffing lightly or more grotty by overstuffing with ugly junk, up to you. But it frees up tons of drawer and cabinet space at the cost of no real usable space at all. What else do I need to use the side of a door for?

Just keep the door always closed, if you put much weight on it. Better for the hinges and such, especially considering how cheap RV/trailer builds usually are.

Oh, another thing. I have a tiny shower in my trailer. Water and power problems being what they can be, I don't use it. I have a bar across the top that I hang clothes etc on. And my toilet? I use a bucket instead -- no water problems. Over the toilet, I have a light fold-out table.
On the table, whatever I want, but for now I have lightweight plastic drawers.

Re cooking: everyone's different. To me one of the real joys of life is eating well, and it makes me feel good about doing with less when I can eat both healthy and otherwise pretty well without spending a lot of money. That's down to cooking at home. So I enjoy my counter space a lot, and find single-burner cooking tricky for all but the simplest meals. And most of my meals ARE simple, and I could get by with simple forever, but as long as we're talking having a joyous life ... for me, cooking is part of it and well worth making allowances for.

Finally -- I don't think I could get by without something to shade my trailer. However hot it gets outside, it's certainly a few degrees hotter inside even with multiple fans going.

Spaceman Spiff said:
My 2¢ on your ideas:

1.  I like a dedicated bed that is all ready for me to jump into.  I agree that a comfortable bed is a necessity.  Years of mountaineering/backpacking taught me that I can put up with miserable conditions if I know I have a warm, dry, comfortable bed to crawl into at the end of the day.
  - A murphy bed takes up wall space that could better be used for storage.

Strongly agree on these.  A quality bed is a very big thing in life.  Especially if you don't have the best back in the world ... and sooner or later, that describes pretty much everyone.

Sleep is restorative and key to health.  So unless you don't ever want to feel restored, get the best bed you can reasonably afford, even if you have to go to some considerable lengths/deprivation to get it.

Me, I am tall(ish), so I need a big bed or my feet dangle over and it's hard to stay warm.  Or if I drag my feet back on, I wind up curling into a letter C and wake up with a sore back.  I need to be able to stretch out a bit.  One of the most attractive things to me about my trailer was that the bed was permanent.  But it wasn't big enough so I made it bigger.

I have some of your priorities as mine and I have many that aren't taken into consideration such as my generator with me is a must. Hauling toys with me such as our kayaks and more.

Key to all this is truly suit your rig and lifestyle to exactly what you require.
Being minimalist doesn't mean having nothing or giving up anything that is a true passion you want to pursue. I can easily give up junk, extra crap etc. but never be without the stuff I truly want and deserve in my life.

and I agree a good quality bed is super important :) don't skimp here for sure :)
I think many try to put a cement definition of being a minimalist when it is all about having less but being sure you have what you need for a daily lifestyle to function and some wants at the same time to enjoy your life. Being minimal is whatever amt of stuff it takes for all of us to feel wonderful.

For everyone knocking hammocks, you probably haven't tried sleeping in them and if you did you probably didn't do it right. There are many videos on YouTube that show you how and they're optimal for people with bad backs because they eliminate pressure points.

Thx for the comments all. The purpose of the thread was to use my example as a moment for all to reflect upon their own choices, preferences and comfort zone. We are all different with each our own preferences and values. It's not to tout my choices, but the process of assessing and making choices. With limited space, how would YOU prioritize and make the necessary compromises.
Thinking twice, study and analyze yourself is the first step. Question yourself and separate the want from the need. Choices have to be made so think beyond conventional wisdom and standard practice for your answers.
The minimalist aspect is in essence, to drill down to the core and distill the priorities in what makes each of us happy. Life is evolution and ideally evolving to a better state or situation.
On here we tend to  focus/talk about methods and equipment. But the essence of life and happiness is so much more than just that and focusing on that, we might miss out on the beauty of life and love. I know, guilty. Maybe a simpler design can get the process started.
So double think what you think you need, share a thought or idea that makes your life simpler and more efficient, lighter and or less costly, less to maintain and worry about. Be free from the stuff to focus on the pure joys of life is basically the message.
And what have you to share about ideas, choices that helped you get there? Be it a hammock, dual purpose rack or whatever!
And yes it will be different for all of us.
But remember, the thread is minimalist Design and the mental process.
This guy's idea of minimal is going to be different than mine, maybe yours too.

IMG_20181024_212455.jpg
IMG_20181025_081638.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181024_212455.jpg
    IMG_20181024_212455.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20181025_081638.jpg
    IMG_20181025_081638.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Watch_Cowspiracy said:
optimal for people with bad backs because they eliminate pressure points.

Cool another solution besides sleeping on the floor!     ~crofter

Watch_Cowspiracy said:
For everyone knocking hammocks, you probably haven't tried sleeping in them and if you did you probably didn't do it right. There are many videos on YouTube that show you how and they're optimal for people with bad backs because they eliminate pressure points.

You can't eliminate pressure points unless you eliminate gravity.

There's likely plenty of truth that there's an art to it, though.  I know I found hammocks very uncomfortable.

I hate a hammock as getting in and out is a disaster for me mostly and lying in them is off for me, like crooked uncomfortable somehow, lol, but my kid could literally live in one of them she loves them so much. My avatar is my kid on her portable hammock at a state park.

I think majority of us come from sticks and bricks. From usual lifestyle of buy buy buy to set up our younger life with furniture in the home, yard equipment to mow and landscape, buy our fun toys we love like ATVs or bikes or whatever.....usual life buying debt crap all of us fall into. So when it comes time to dump it all and go light and free, it is hard for many to downsize too much and other's are chomping at the bit to live with one washcloth and one fork and one spoon kinda lifestyle LOL

It is all about what we want to make it by choice and thankfully we still own that freedom :)

I am big on creating and using vertical storage whenever possible, through hooks, magnets, heavy duty suction cups and super-duper Velcro.  

In the Christmas section of WalMart, you can buy for about $1 large, clear suction cup hooks for wreaths that are very sturdy and stay in place well.

The walls of cabinets and closets, and the inside of their doors, are often overlooked, but hooks and low profile racks make these areas useful for many things.

I have seen over-the-door shoe organizers used for clothing, food toiletries, etc., and these can be mounted and anchored onto a wall as well as the interior of a door.  I have one on the wall of my tiny bathroom, attached with two suction cup hooks, for toiletries and bathroom things best stored where used. 

I am a person who sweats, particularly my head, and so bathing and washing my hair are a priority for me.

I have an older class B, so there is a handheld shower, tho also then water being depleted and tanks to be emptied, so when there isn’t a campground shower available I take navy showers and often resort to sponge baths.  

I have a collapsible plastic bin that stores easily, good for this purpose, which can where allowed then be dumped discreetly under a welcoming bush or tree.

I carry Dove dry shampoo, for when water is really scarce, also a 2 1/2 gallon solar shower to use outside that provides enough hot water to shampoo and rinse my mop of hair twice.  If one were so inclined, stripping naked under a friendly tree from which said solar shower is suspended would allow a really good shower out of doors.

I carry a supply of those large, wet disposable washcloths meant for bathing people who are bedridden, and they are the best means I’ve found for low water usage showers.  They are basically jumbo sized baby wipes.

Already wet, I add a squirt of body wash, soap up, then use my shower just to rinse.

I can shower in this manner with about a gallon of water, and the great thing about the wipes is they don’t have to be rinsed but just thrown away.

Assessing needs vs wants for your personal choices.

Availability, practicality, affordability, efficiency, necessities, reliability, utility, all synonyms which come to mind when dealing with minimalism.
Nature is one of the best comparables and guidance.
It seldom is excessive, everything working in harmony, rarely using more than what is needed to maintain balance. I like to think that minimalist living parallels that. Not necessarily talking about living like a Buddhist monk in Tibet, but striking the perfect balance of minimal efficiency and comfort.

The hammock is the perfect example of minimal ingenuity. Light, functional, strong and space efficient. But everything has it's downside and for this it is human adaptability. I love it's simplicity but don't know if I can overnight in one. I own one which I sometimes accidentally nap in under a cool shady tree. ;)
Could I discover slumber bliss overnight with it? That would test my comfort zone and adaptability. Being a side sleeper, possible to be comfortable? Hmmmm, to ponder.

Two things have fueled this minimal design at the moment. Rabbits shower bag and the desire to evolve to a bigger more comfortable rig with a build that is as efficient as possible.

The first place to start is approx size per budget and realistic assessment of needs. Not interested in anything that is big, gas hog, weighing multi tons, high maintenance and fuel costs. How to be minimal with rig selection? A van is about the right size for one, lots available, solid and sturdy, decent value on the second hand market, better mpg than any RV.
Newer Euro style too expensive Imho, leaving older style. GM best of the bunch, recent, lots around, super reliable, if not doing mega miles has ok fuel efficiency. Standing up not doable without high top which commands a premium.
Is there an alternative that hits all the sweet spots?
Ambulance? Too heavy and not that much space inside with a short roof. Overkill in the wrong areas.
Box truck, good size, affordable but often severely used/ abused. And that dually makes it heavy and thirsty. Skoolies are often well priced and not abused, but back to the weight issue. There are van hitops but few, can be found with patience.
But what about the single rear tire box trucks? Lighter, fewer tires, less maintenance, better fuel economy, stand up room.
Saw a build on YouTube and it looked perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMDhGKln4h2f-uhjpIY8Mw. Check him out if you get a chance,
JY Dog.
For finding one, well can't be in a hurry for something that is not common or typical.
This is all part of the minimal design aspect. Planning, patience and objectivity. Planning, assessing and selecting, of the best minimal rig for your needs is the first place to start. This will pay off down the road in less fuel and maintenance costs, which means less stress and more joy on the road. And once again, the less you have and spend, the farther and longer one can travel. This to me is the real gain of minimalism, freedom to explore and wander not being tied down by excessive costs.

Some may have noticed that my minivan is up for sale. And I have purchased the next best thing.
Planning on possibly working on it at the van build if all goes to minimalist plans. ;). But I have a blank slate, ideas, no firm plans and why I started this thread to reach out to those who have ideas and good input along the lines of minimalist Design.
It may turn out conventionally unconventional. Or maybe unconventionally conventional. My rigs usually aren't typical, lol.

Of course, YMMV on all of this, depending on your situation and preferences, or personal definition of minimal. The important thing to remember, keep an open mind and reconsider your choices and first impulses when considering minimalism and your needs. If it's all about a big comfort zone, this thread isn't it.

I like that thought! A big comfort zone vs. a smaller comfort zone....thing is tho someone coming from a 6,000 sq ft home into a big class A hauling a cargo van with stuff in it they desire to bring on the road with them...well that is their comfort zone and their minimalizing. I don't think one can truly put a definition on what is minimalizing as fits into this exact box. It can't be done. Minimalizing to everyone is less is more type of lifestyle but no one can define what is an exact less.

If we go into survival chat, then a few necessities are priority to survive. Minimalizing a lifestyle is just too personal of an issue to contain actually. Survival needs for all would be about the same for all humans.

Yeah, the purpose of the thread isn't to discuss the abstract of minimalism and an individual perspective.
More like how to practically fit what stuff into a van which has limited and finite space. Maybe space optimization would have been a better title.
Space vs stuff, what to stick in a van, why and how.
Utilize creative and ingenious approach.
With limited cubic area, the devil is in the details.

The space size in my case will be approx. 7x12x7ft.
What goes in? What is necessary? How to do it keeping lightness and overall roomy feel as the main objective? That's the objective for which minimalist comes in. The input has to be minimized to fit into that space and the analysis of that is the design aspect. And looking at ways to optimize everything.

Excellent thread, M. Here are some thoughts on several topics raised:

Solar power & generators: Are they necessary? I have been on the road for 2 yrs, relying on a battery isolator for all my electrical needs. I can camp for a week without depleting my house battery. Of course, doing this requires a minimalist approach to electrical use. I only need it to charge my cell phone & Kindle, water pump, sensors and lights. The fan on my furnace does use a lot of juice, so I am thinking of getting a Wave 3.

Shower: Could someone provide a link to Rabbit's ideas on this? An internal one would be nice. So far, when not near a PF gym or community center, I shower outside, first heating 2-3 quarts of water, then adding it to a larger bag, filling it up with 2 gallons. I put the bag in a small backpack, along with a collapsible plastic basin & pint cup. I then go outside to a secluded place, fill up the basin, and use the cup to pour water over myself for washing & rinsing.

Fridge: It is a necessity for me, so I use a small propane one. When driving, I get 2 cups of ice from a fast food place to cool my perishable food, not bothering with the 12 volt option, which doesn't work well. A propane fridge doesn't work well when the outside temp hits 90; that's my signal to turn the key & seek cooler climes.

Beds: a popup truck camper, IMO, is the best of both worlds: compact w/low wind resistance & low center of gravity when on the road, space & comfort when parked.