A Minimalist Design Thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having reread the whole thread, I want to apologize. I’ll admit I did get thrown by the title and I should have focused on contributing  to the pool of space saving options. I don’t think I honestly do anything so much differently than anyone else as far as storage, allocation of space, etc., so I was making a case for it being OK to give some space to aesthetics instead of throwing in my own particular design.  That said, there are a few things I'll put out there in case they might work for someone else.  I have a larger vehicle than some, total living space 12.5 long x 6  wide not counting the front stairwell and driver’s seat in a 20 foot long short school bus.

In terms of storage/usage suggestions, I have to say magnets have been the biggest revelation for me. I use them for everything. My curtains have a row of magnets in the top. I keep them in a drawer when not in use because I like the open feeling of the bus windows with nothing blocking them whenever possible, and the magnets let me just slap them up there. I use hook magnets on the ceiling  to hold my cabinets open. A hula hoop with a shower curtain attached gets magneted to the ceiling for indoor showering.  There are so many different kinds of magnets out there, and using them is an advantage of living in a big tin can!

My bed is a murphy bed. I chose this because I sell out of my bus at flea markets etc., and customers actually come ON to the bus. A bed would be wasted display space in that situation, so I have bookshelves on the bottom of the murphy bed and that’s what customers see.   They’re set up so that books don’t have to be removed in order to put the bed down.  The area the bed folds down into provides the open space Minivanmotoman talked about needing, or I like to think of it as flex space because there’s usually something there, it’s just not always the same thing. Sometimes it’s where I put a piece of furniture or some boxes that I’m hauling to a market, but right now it’s occupied by this super cute little lightweight  loveseat glider that I move to the front stairwell when I want to lower the bed.  The glider goes outside if I’m at a campsite. I also have a small dining table that folds flat which I can set up in the same “flex” space if I am eating with someone else; solo meals take place at the previously mentioned antique possum belly table, which also serves as display when I’m at a show.  I have two rows of cabinets, and the bottom row is entirely filled with the stuff I sell, with my personal belongings occupying the upper.  The aisle, which runs from the back door to the front double school bus doors, is about 30" wide. 

I also have a closet with a hanger bar so I can hang up my dresses. That closet, though, also holds a 5 gallon jug of clean kerosene, which I use for both my heater and my cook stove, a five gallon backup water jug, and all automotive travel-related items such as heavy duty jumper cables, a battery charger, etc. 

Toilet is one of those two-part porta potties. It’s on wheels, in a cabinet, and rolls out to in front of the closet, where there are curtains that can be pulled around it so I can use it even if i have the window curtains down. I got a small one with a less than 3 gallon black tank because I’m not comfortable carrying a bigger one to dump. I use one of those big blue Ikea bags so people don’t have to see what  I’m carrying. That's another tip I would put out there: big blue Ikea bags have solved many a problem for me. 

^There are so many different kinds of magnets out there.

Firebuild,

I bought a bunch of ceramic (domino size) magnets to use as you suggested but i am curious about any specific kinds of magnets you may have come across that you could recommend for dofferent applications. Liinks would help.

Thanks.

Ditto on those blue Ikea bags...great for carting laundry to and from the laundromat, especially since I bring it home wet and hang it on hangers and or the clothes line. I also use one on the floor of the passenger seat for shoes or groceries. Those bags are squishable and fit into all sorts of crannies. I set my camping potty in one in case of leaks (never had one yet, knock on wood) and there is space left over to tuck in the spray bottle of vinegar, babywipes, t-paper, etc. One fits under my cot to hold books, clothes, and miscellaneous items. I can stash clean clothes, a towel and my toiletry tote for a trip to the bath house and the handles slip over the hook on the door and keep everything dry. They are great for toting picnic stuff and swimming stuff to the beach, too. The best part is they fold flat when not in use and take up very little room when stored (can go under your mattress).

Matildas mate. said:
I bought a bunch of ceramic (domino size) magnets to use as you suggested but i am curious about any specific kinds of magnets you may have come across that you could recommend for dofferent applications. Liinks would help.

Here's a link to the search results for "magnet" at Home Depot - 171 results! 

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardwar...CNI-5&storeSelection=2674,2602,2669,2665,2667

The ones I use the most aren't even included here though they have them all the time at the store. They are swing hook magnets rated for 65 lbs. I've got them all over the place, anyplace I might need to hang something, like by the door for my keys, and on the outside of the bus when I need to hang a work light. The ones they show on the web page are 45 lbs.  

Not all magnets show you the weight rating, but the higher they're rated the better. The key is weight distribution, though: even if it says they hold 65 lbs, 65 lbs hanging straight down is a lot of pressure, so I usually spread the weight out onto multiple magnets. Anyplace I can use a magnet to hang or hold something is a place I don't have to drill a hole in the wall of my bus, plus you can move them around so it's more flexible with magnets. 

They also make one with a small carabiner attached, and I use those to run a string of lanterns from front to back, with a magnet every third lantern. I use a set of magnets (not just one - again, weight distribution is key) to hang a small chandelier when I'm stationary. The screwdriver magnetizers, a block designed to put around a screwdriver shaft to make it magnetic, can be attached to all sorts of things. I have two long magnetic blocks just stuck to the wall, and if I'm working on something I put the screws and the tools on it. This is especially great because I'm not always parked level and it keeps things from rolling away. Some people use the long blocks to hold their kitchen knives, though that is not something I would do while actually moving, only when parked (nothing like a projectile chopping knife).  I also have magnetic LED lights, and magnetic latches on some of my drawers (though not on overhead cabinets - I don't trust them enough not to open and let things fly so I use mechanical latches on those). Like I said I use hook magnets to hold my cabinet doors open when I'm noodling around in there. 

The domino sized ones you mentioned are what I have sewn into the tops of the curtains.  They also make all kinds of things magnetized - earlier on the thread someone mentioned magnetic spice jars. I have magnetic LED battery operated lights in strategic spots, too. You can also buy magnetic tape and stick it on just about anything lightweight to make it magnetic.

Oh, and for summer, my window screens are cut from larger screens and attach around the bus windows (only the top opens) with magnets.

Can ya tell I like magnets?? LOL

GypsyJan said:
Ditto on those blue Ikea bags...great for carting laundry to and from the laundromat, especially since I bring it home wet and hang it on hangers and or the clothes line. I also use one on the floor of the passenger seat for shoes or groceries. Those bags are squishable and fit into all sorts of crannies. I set my camping potty in one in case of leaks (never had one yet, knock on wood) and there is space left over to tuck in the spray bottle of vinegar, babywipes, t-paper, etc. One fits under my cot to hold books, clothes, and miscellaneous items. I can stash clean clothes, a towel and     my toiletry tote for a trip to the bath house and the handles slip over the hook on the door and keep everything dry. They are great for toting picnic stuff and swimming stuff to the beach, too. The best part is they fold flat when not in use and take up very little room when stored (can go under your mattress).

Best place to buy them is at an actual IKEA store - they're $1.49 there. That's the price online at Ikea too but they charge an insane amount to ship them. Amazon charges $5.99 for them with free Prime shipping. So I'd say, if you're near an Ikea store or passing through someplace that has one, they are worth a special trip.

So the discussion really is about efficient design to enable us to fit a bunch of possessions and functions into a vehicle that feels to us like a small space  as compared to living in a house or apartment. That is cool, I can do that stuff. I have been designing living spaces for a very long time as well as designing other types of objects.

Being a modern woman I like to use modern design tools such as 3D CAD. I measure the physical space I have to work inside of, in this case  a tiny travel trailer and the interior of my vehicle, a Honda Element.
Here is a simplified plan view (roof and two walls not shown) of the layout inside of the trailer captured from my design software.
campster plan view.JPG
Then I input the dimensions of those spaces into a 3D CAD program and start putting boxes inside of  boxes. Of course I also have to put in things like windows, doors, walls, floor, wheel wells, seats, etc.  Then I can push and pull the dimensions around of the boxes that represent the cabinets taking into consideration some of the larger items that go inside of the cabinets. Stuff like the fresh water and waste tanks, the sink, a battery, electrical equipment, fridge, a toilet etc. Those are not seen in the plan view image but the boxes that represent them are inside of the models of the cabinets. I did not buy all the bulky things such as tanks, and a sink before I started the design. Instead I had to make sure I could buy something that fit into the space I had. Of course the heaviest stuff had to sit right near to the axle on the trailer and weight has to be balanced side to side. There is a while lot to think about when designing a trailer interior and weight balance is part of the planning. You can see there is a drop down on the upper surface of the kitchen cabinets. That was driven by the position of the wheel wells which extended past the aft edge of the window opening. But that is OK it helps to support the desk top at that end and it gave me a nice place to have a bank of various types of electrical outlets. You just live with the quirks, take advantage of them if you can and then make them look as nice as possible.

Once the various boxes play nicely together I get down to the details of the cabinet structural framing pieces, the size of the cabinet doors, size of drawers and such. I don't worry about where little stuff goes, it can be tucked into drawers and cabinets later on. I just plan out where large objects need to be located and where electrical or plumbing are located as I might have to adjust cabinets and doors or drawers to get them to fit inside. Be kind to yourself, don't overwhelm you initial design thinking with every little trinket sized object you need to store. That will sort itself out later.

My trailer has a low ceiling trailer overall, however the area over the kitchen pops up to create 6'3" of standing head room and plenty of head room which sitting on the bed/couch or at the desk area. I have two removable desktop sections, one extends back over the foot of the bed as when traveling solo I can leave it in place and just slide my feet under it at bed time. A TV can sit on top of that surface for relaxed position watching. Those two tables can be switched to either side of the trailer or  taken outside or of course be stowed away. They can remain secured in place in the desk configuration while underway.

As it currently looks from the exterior. Solar panels are not yet installed on the roof of the trailer or the car. I do have nice, new wheels and tires for the trailer but I am waiting to put them on until I am finished with the rest of the modifications.
paint job w car xs.jpg

Attachments

• campster plan view.JPG
    campster plan view.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 7
  • paint job w car xs.jpg
    paint job w car xs.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 11
[quote= Firebuild : antique possum belly table, which also serves as display when I’m at a show.  [/quote]

I had to look this one up -

View attachment 22538

I can see how this would look great in a skoolie where there is more space.    ~crofter

crofter said:
I can see how this would look great in a skoolie where there is more space. 

Mine isn't as nice as that one, but yeah - lots of storage and looks great.

There are concepts from antique furniture that work well for Van, Schoolie, cargo trailer adaptation. Because long distance transportation was very slow before there were airplanes and automobiles travelers needed to carry more things with them. Some of them did need to have mobile offices plus their clothes, some dishes, food, etc. There was a type of luggage called steamer trunks named after of course the modes of transportation powered by steam engines..trains and various types of ships.
steamer-trunk.jpg
You are unlikely to find one in good condition that does not smell musty. But you could build one. Thin plywood will suffice because the structure is stiffened by all the pieces inside of it creating a type of torsion box support system. It could house all your kitchen and food items including a fold out platform for cooking. It could contain all the items you need for an internet business, perhaps for making jewelry or the kind of thing I do which is making models and other miniature items. Or it could be your mobile office space as well as clothes closet. It might be your tool chest.

One of the advantages is if you start out in one van and then decide to switch to a step van or schoolie or cargo trailer it can be moved into the new space. Even if you move into a sticks and brick for a while it can go there too. You just need to secure it with tie down straps that can be built into the unit.

If you want it to have the antique look that is certainly possible. There are leather like wall papers and vinyl coverings being sold. The hardware is also available from companies that specialize in making replications of the latches, hinges, corner protectors and even copies of the original printed papers used to line the interiors. But it can also have a contemporary look or a rustic look. Your choice of detailing for what suits your sense of style and your skill level.

Just because things were antique does not mean they were all massive in size or made of heavy woods such as oak. There was a whole class of antiques made for travelers.

Another one of those classes of antique furniture designed specifically for travelers was called military campaign furniture. Those were specialized light weight, knock down, pieces used by the career military officers in many different countries in Europe but sometimes also in the USA. They would need to go to an area and quickly set up their living space/headquarters in a tent. I find some of their bed concepts to be useful for mobile dwelling spaces as they have secondary functions for seating. But being independent units they can be moved into a tent or relocated into subsequent mobile housing.  Even the monarchs in England traveled with knockdown furniture they set up in various castles or tents when they were out on campaigns as did the Roman soldiers. The antique pieces are expensive but there are new versions of these around or you can recreate them for a  interesting look for a themed dwelling space.
military campaign bed.jpg
folding bed in a chair.jpg
I like this bed in a chair version, it could also be built into a cabinet for a very stealth look inside of a cargo trailer or van. Put away in the day time and out at night time. The hinges for this type of folding chair are available from woodworking stores such as Rockler and Woodcraft.

Steamer trunk kitchen, wardrobe, desk, tool chest, bed that folds out of a cabinet. They all close up and hide their function. No one has to know you are living in a van, box truck, cargo trailer etc, because all the clutter is in hiding.

I have one piece of folding campaign inspired furniture for my build, it is a folding back rest that I can set on my bed to use for reclined reading or video watching. The one I have is an adaptation that was made in the late 1940s for use as a beach chair. All I had to do was replace the fabric, the wood frame was in great condition

Attachments

• steamer-trunk.jpg
    steamer-trunk.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
  • military campaign bed.jpg
    military campaign bed.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 0
  • folding bed in a chair.jpg
    folding bed in a chair.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1
maki2 said:
There was a whole class of antiques made for travelers.

Steamer trunk kitchen, wardrobe, desk, tool chest, bed that folds out of a cabinet.  They all close up and hide their function. No one has to know you are living in a van, box truck, cargo trailer etc, because all the clutter is in hiding.

Thanks for presenting the good old stuff in such a useful light!

From my experience as an antique seller over the past several years, it's not hard to find a good wardrobe steamer, but if you are lucky enough to find an office trunk you will probably pay through the nose for it.  And if you can find something like this one... Its price tag is almost $3000. But occasionally these gems turn up at thrift stores. 

AU-MF077B-lg.jpg

Even if you're in a small vehicle, a travel desk might come in handy. If not an antique, then maybe just one inspired by an antique? Travel was such a long, cumbersome task in the days of steam that all manner of furniture was designed to be mobile and they had some good ideas. They didn't have the tiny technology we have, but they sure had the ingenuity. 

ae15d59.jpg

Attachments

• AU-MF077B-lg.jpg
    AU-MF077B-lg.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 4
  • ae15d59.jpg
    ae15d59.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 2
Love all the pics posted here, from the retro chic Victorian vintage airstream with all the colors textures and styles to the many antique pieces.

Which has just given me an aha moment to see what I can design. A portable chuckwagon box that can move from inside to outside in winter to Summer might be an interesting item. Take the idea of a travel desk and combine that with the Coleman butane stove, drawers for cooking utensils, maybe a small plastic basin, a small cutting board and voila!
A small lightweight suitcase cooking center.
The imagination is working a design.
This is basically the idea of slide out galleys found in the back of teardrops or pickup/ minivan builds which use the back hatch as an awning or weather protection. Thinking something smaller and more compact for easy displacement and outdoor cooking during the summer.
Hmmmm, what could I come up with...
And then the next thing which comes to mind,
A shower kit in a box, garden sprayer with some sort of pullout/ pop-up stand for curtain and floor. Maybe a milk crate size with extending rod to hang a ring to attach a shower, rolled rubber floor and little box to hold soap and shampoo, towel ring.
Again, something that could be used inside and outside.
Hmmmm what is possible there...

That is exactly what design is all about. Developing a solution for a particular need, situation or application.
Like art, it can take many forms, designs and styles based upon preference, choice and needs.
I love retro, vintage and antiques, so why not? I also love modern contemporary, MCM, and more.
As Maki posted, it starts with layout design and placement, personal decisions to determine what to include. Then the style comes into play. From basic and simple to more swiss knife style inclusion of multiple gear/ items and systems.
Btw, have you ever owned a Swiss army knife and ever really used everything in it?
And that was one of the early questions on this thread, what do you really need to incorporate into your build?
Assess and reassess since you only have so much room to work with.
We tend to take existing examples, current trends and use that as a basis for our build. What have others done and what do we want based upon our current home familiarity. But a home isn't on wheels and we have the luxury of room and space, weight isn't an issue. But in a vehicle, weight is so it must constantly be kept in regards.

I have a suitcase-sized "picnic organizer" from Camping World. It is made of sturdy fabric and has a handle for carrying. When the zipper is unzipped on both sides and the top part by the handle, the flap lays down and forms a "counter" or workstation. There are multiple drawers and cubbies inside. I can fit a tablecloth, boy scout canteen (aluminum nesting pan/lid/cup) and folding sterno stove, dishes, cups, coffee, cream, sugar, packages of soup , oatmeal, grits, napkins, utensils, matches, sponge, detergent, dish towel, etc. in there and just plop the case on a picnic table at a rest stop or a folding table out of the rear of my Rav4 and fix soup and sandwiches, coffee, tea, etc. It comes in hand when I am some place where there are no fast food options or I don't have the funds for a drive-thru meal.

I'm going to Google that GJ and see if there are any design elements that I can add to a suitcase cookstove plus cooking utensils and items. Thx for the suggestion.

Minivanmotoman said:
I'm going to Google that GJ and see if there are any design elements that I can add to a suitcase cookstove plus cooking utensils and items. Thx for the suggestion.

a1097ceee1848315e468871d1e493d09.jpg

Thx GJ for the pic, gives ideas.

Here's a video on a Buddhist van dweller on his layout of a traditional class C and adapting to one preferences and situation.

What's interesting is his mini washer called a Basecamp, and his waterless toilet which wraps and seals solid waste. Interesting.
First time that I've come across these two units. Could assist in ones minimal approach to life, space and choices.
He's a little long in going on about his lifestyle but things to be learned from all of us.

Hello, Ken here. Love this topic, been pondering this since I was a Hippie. First, a book reference, check out “spark joy” by Marie Kondo. Purportedly about de -cluttering and organizing your space, the author describes a process of detecting which belongings you value most. Kind of in a Zen process that I love to use.
Secondly, I would like to point out that eliminating excess things is a natural part of the aging process. We progressively experience losses of things, family and friends after middle age. First studied this in a gerontology class in college, and have since confirmed the thesis through life experience. I’m 68, so have more losses to come. Hopefully I can experience it joyfully and intentionally! Blessed are those who embrace minimalist life at an earlier age, I think. Another reference to this topic is “Passages”, by Gail Sheehy. Her two books talk about the life changes most experience through adult life.
Third, I think one has to minimize their thinking about ones role in the overall economy. My example is to embrace and evangelize a vision of an economic system that works with much lower gross domestic production numbers. Let’s move from valuing productivity of things to valuing a well compensated service industry. Just saying. Thoughts?

Hello, Ken here. Love this topic, been pondering this since I was a Hippie. First, a book reference, check out “spark joy” by Marie Kondo. Purportedly about de -cluttering and organizing your space, the author describes a process of detecting which belongings you value most. Kind of in a Zen process that I love to use.
Secondly, I would like to point out that eliminating excess things is a natural part of the aging process. We progressively experience losses of things, family and friends after middle age. First studied this in a gerontology class in college, and have since confirmed the thesis through life experience. I’m 68, so have more losses to come. Hopefully I can experience it joyfully and intentionally! Blessed are those who embrace minimalist life at an earlier age, I think. Another reference to this topic is “Passages”, by Gail Sheehy. Her two books talk about the life changes most experience through adult life.
Third, I think one has to minimize their thinking about ones role in the overall economy. My example is to embrace and evangelize a vision of an economic system that works with much lower gross domestic production numbers. Let’s move from valuing productivity of things to valuing a well compensated service industry. Just saying. Thoughts?

HI Ken! Thank you for bringing up Marie Kondo, who I think is pretty great. Her approach is based on Shinto, which focuses on ritual and the idea that the sacred lives in both animate and inanimate things. While her process may lead to the shedding of what doesn't enrich life, it's not the shedding that is the point but the enrichment.  Which, hopefully, increases with age. 

I'm not a naturally organized person, but I have a love of and respect for ritual(and I should say a love and respect for both animate and inanimate objects), so this process appeals to me on a deep level. It's changed my life, actually, but one thing it HASN'T done is make me a minimalist. I don't think that's in the cards for me.  When I left California to come care for my Mother in her already overstuffed house, asking the questions of what sparks joy, and what items I wanted to carry in my life going forward, created a ritual that made letting go an exciting and invigorating process instead of a loss. The things I surround myself with now are things I love, even though some of them are earmarked for jettisoning when it's time for me to go nomadic again. Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean you have to keep it, but just because it's unnecessary doesn't mean you have to get rid of it either. This is the main thing I've learned from Marie Kondo.

I've been at the Cheap RV Living Lifestyle for a long time. starting with my first old Ford E 100 short wheel base with the engine between the seats.   A cot across the rear wheel wells, card board boxes under the cot,  a stowage hammock over the bed.  I built a cabinet with a counter top above it for a 2 burner and space for food prep and then later plastic basins to wash/rinse. 5 gallon Jerry of water and a 36 qt IGLOO ice chest.  I also had a Coleman Cat heater and my gear included a manifest from "The Camper's Bible". (list of camping essentials with a Rand McNally Campground Atlas)

Now I have a High Top 90 E 350 extended set up about the same way.  But with Tech today,  i have a cell, & laptop. With those advantages I have websites I've created for my travels.  Most notably the two below in the signatures.  On the Van Conversion site at the very top there is a link to a page of Trailer Conversion.  Should I want to live on BLM I'd go with the trailer as a long term support.  East of the Mississippi I'd use the edjautoservices website below as so much of the features the converted trailer would contain would be readily available while traveling or camping in Private, State, or National Parks. 

The trick to minimalism so I've found is your resourcefulness and organizational skills.