Living space size?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoamerRV428

Reaction score
2 people. 30 ft box. 1/2 slide in main cargo area for dining. gives just enough room for better space.
34ft total length travel toyhauler

size for 2.

240 sq ft.

not full time just yet but will be sooner than later now. have to finish kiddo in college and then our time.

Funny cause chatting with rv neighbor on recent trip and their travel trailer was a 'bit bigger' than ours and I said I am going to even downsize for the 2 of us and he was shocked. To go full time on the road and smaller? :) He said no way for 2 people to live all the time and I was like, I never 'require much' and hubby does well in small spaces also and 'we know how to 'camp/rv/travel small' and even then the guy was beyond himself from our remarks LOL well obviously to each his own on this one :) :)

So how small are you and what space does one 'need' for 1 person, or 2 or more? on the road or just even for a 2-3-4 wk trip?

Space to live is key to all of us :)

I think we will be shooting in the 120-180 sq ft if we decide to go smaller but in the end, this rv is paid off. Hubby is like, hmm, just keep this one forever til we hit the grave and 'use the hell out of it' and I am like, but darn, smaller would be better to drag behind us and fit into even smaller spots when we boondock etc. So we got some deciding to do.
120 sq ft for two adults and two cats.......Fulltime in a van.......Paulette loves her cozy apartment and I spend a lot of time outside
if you 2 can handle it :) cool, shows 2 can share smaller for sure and since me and hubby actually 'do get along well', :), I still find wanting smaller might be the path forward.

Wife and I have been living seasonally in 126 square feet ( 7’ x 28’) but usually have to store stuff in a 10’ x 10’ storage shed or cabana as well for almost 20 years. When traveling we usually still take two vehicles or have two means of transportation which ends up requiring more space. Things like bicycles, kayaks and 4x4s that are hung or trailered end up requiring extra space. We too are starting to down size. When I was single a van or truck topper was easy but when there are two of you and you work with tools we required a little more space. Now we are older and doing jobs that don’t require tools we can travel in less space but more than a van or truck camper can provide. The stuff in the 10’ x 10’ storage used to end up in the second vehicle now we just use two home bases. Going to try to get down to a 7’ x 12’ bathroom and sleeping area camper box mounted on a 6’ x 24’ open flat bed trailer pulled with a square bodied Suburban. Basically like living outside with a van but having enough space for two people with permanently made up beds and room for a second means of transportation on the trailer. If we had the physical ability and money we would have probably built out a 28’ cargo trailer or have bought a 28’ toy hauler and been better off.

Last edited:
2 people. 30 ft box. 1/2 slide in main cargo area for dining. gives just enough room for better space.
34ft total length travel toyhauler

size for 2.

240 sq ft.

not full time just yet but will be sooner than later now. have to finish kiddo in college and then our time.

Funny cause chatting with rv neighbor on recent trip and their travel trailer was a 'bit bigger' than ours and I said I am going to even downsize for the 2 of us and he was shocked. To go full time on the road and smaller? :) He said no way for 2 people to live all the time and I was like, I never 'require much' and hubby does well in small spaces also and 'we know how to 'camp/rv/travel small' and even then the guy was beyond himself from our remarks LOL well obviously to each his own on this one :) :)

So how small are you and what space does one 'need' for 1 person, or 2 or more? on the road or just even for a 2-3-4 wk trip?

Space to live is key to all of us :)

You can make anything work if you really want to. Camped last year next to a guy living out of an ordinary jeep wrangler. I THINK he had a small tent with him, but I never saw him use it. He was a dedicated off-roader, only in Quartzsite for a shopping run.

With your rig, you could tow a small cargo trailer.

I'm in an ordinary ford cargo van. I have a hitch-mounted carrier, but it's not very high quality and I could get by without it if I had to. I do like leaving the center of my van open because it adds to my feelings of comfort when I pull over for a nap...

...Funny cause...He said no way...and I was like...
So how small are you and what space does one 'need' for 1 person, or 2 or more?
Our cause:
* 'smaller, well-used, with less, for more fun'.
a)
After a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we built our ExpeditionVehicle for our purposes... no compromise.
Our interior -- three paces across by seven paces long, about 600cf.
With our permanent rear porch and rear entry, our quarters are extended by around four feet aftward.
Our permanent porch roof allows pretty much year-round activities sheltered from harsh sun or sleet.
Most of our activities are outside:
* we shower outside
* we cook outside
* we visit with company outside.
We are inside to sleep.
This lunch-time, one of our dogs got a shower on the porch.
With the shower-curtain up and the entry-door open with the heater going, he was reasonably comfortable for January in Oregon.
And we have a 16x7.5 toy-hauler I fabricated on a commercial chassis.
It hauls our SCUBA gear and kayaks, plus more of our Pepsi kegs of drinking-water for extending our stay away from re-provisioning.
Speaking of extending our stay...
b)
How much space do we need?
* If I hear you snore, we need more space.
* If I smell your cigarettes, we need more space.
... but the kicker...
* If the place has name-badges, a perky 'Activities Director', and folks 'just stopping by to say hi!', we need more space.
Our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110