Propane

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syfyinsanebabies

Reaction score
Thanx in advance

So, may b moving in to a windowless storqge trailer end of year ish due to circumstances. (Postrd the brief story already on that)... Will be venting with aluminum mesh and moving blankets durong non work days (dont work yet but putting good vibes out lol) and at night alternating that with the roll up door when needed for safety and shutting door for sleeping at night... .safety..my question is, or questions are lol:: how long will a 20lb tank last if used 3-4 times daily for coojing and heating ?? Brief heating use...

I've added lots of warm blankets etc to my "nomad" tiny amazon list. Won't need to heat more than an hour in an enclosed space.

I'm hoping 20lb Tanks go about 2 weeks with minimal to moderate use??
Pardin any typos. My eyes are going slowly

You need to use a vented heater. An unvented propane heater creates a lot of condensation. If you vent the interior space enough to prevent condensation from forming you will lose most of the heat. A really good sleeping bag should be your primary way to survive cold weather. A wet sleeping bag is no bueno. Your body will create condensation on the ceiling of a bare cargo trailer so you must vent the space somewhat anyway but a vented heater ( dry heat ) will help dry that condensation up as well. It is not safe to close up the trailer at night never the less run a non vented propane heater inside. Installing a floor vent and a roof vent of an appropriate size and using proper warning devices at a minimum will be required to insure you live through the night. There are just too many things that can go bad like a vent getting covered or something getting on the heater and catching on fire. Using an unvented heater in a well ventilated space to take the chill off for a few minutes to get dressed after getting out of a sleeping bag will use very little propane, in fact many people simply make coffee and fix breakfast on a propane stove instead of having a heater. A 20 lb bottle will last longer than 2 weeks if just used for cooking breakfast and coffee on a propane stove 15 minutes once a day. Older truck campers used a vented propane heater with no blower fan that worked in smaller campers. You might find one of those. Vented ice house propane heaters are expensive because they use more propane and usually produce too much heat but it depends on how much space is in the trailer. If you have 12 volt DC power a cheap vented Chinese diesel fueled heater would work. If you have a 120 volt AC power source a cheap ceramic heater works really well. I have used about every kind of heat out there and by far the easiest, safest and least expensive is a cheap ceramic heater using 120 volt grid power. Finding a place to plug in is the problem. We usually work where we camp and a full hookup site or at least a plug in is furnished. I would start exploring places you could find to possibly plug in to 120 volt AC grid power if you are living in an urban area.

You need to use a vented heater. An unvented propane heater creates a lot of condensation. If you vent the interior space enough to prevent condensation from forming you will lose most of the heat. A really good sleeping bag should be your primary way to survive cold weather. A wet sleeping bag is no bueno. Your body will create condensation on the ceiling of a bare cargo trailer so you must vent the space somewhat anyway but a vented heater ( dry heat ) will help dry that condensation up as well. It is not safe to close up the trailer at night never the less run a non vented propane heater inside. Installing a floor vent and a roof vent of an appropriate size and using proper warning devices at a minimum will be required to insure you live through the night. There are just too many things that can go bad like a vent getting covered or something getting on the heater and catching on fire. Using an unvented heater in a well ventilated space to take the chill off for a few minutes to get dressed after getting out of a sleeping bag will use very little propane, in fact many people simply make coffee and fix breakfast on a propane stove instead of having a heater. A 20 lb bottle will last longer than 2 weeks if just used for cooking breakfast and coffee on a propane stove 15 minutes once a day. Older truck campers used a vented propane heater with no blower fan that worked in smaller campers. You might find one of those. Vented ice house propane heaters are expensive because they use more propane and usually produce too much heat but it depends on how much space is in the trailer. If you have 12 volt DC power a cheap vented Chinese diesel fueled heater would work. If you have a 120 volt AC power source a cheap ceramic heater works really well. I have used about every kind of heat out there and by far the easiest, safest and least expensive is a cheap ceramic heater using 120 volt grid power. Finding a place to plug in is the problem. We usually work where we camp and a full hookup site or at least a plug in is furnished. I would start exploring places you could find to possibly plug in to 120 volt AC grid power if you are living in an urban area.
None of that is possible lol. It's not a trailer I can puncture or put holes in it's not mine to puncture it's literally a rental storage unit (PODS unit) that you can park on the street. and the only way I can vent is by leaving the door open or cracked. So leaving the door open is a HUGE safety ISSUE for sleeping at night. . ND that closed. I have 2 young ish children. Therefore we will nd to slp with it locked in some way for our safety..with all you've said, & I said, there's no plug sockets or power of any kind. Anything I use has to b propane solar etc, sustainable without electricity..Alas, blankets are pretty much our only hope (wool def) and just when I cook will be the only heat we have plus warm clothes.

Beautiful intro to nomad ish life. Lol **sigh**

Maybe if I get work or my disability comes thru a catalytic heater may work? With the door vented with slight crack? Like a foot crack??

Thanx

I’m really sorry for the situation you find yourself in, and you don’t say where you live, but the living situation you describe with “2 youngish children” may quickly bring you to the attention of law enforcement and child welfare authorities.

This would be considered “inadequate shelter” in most places. You could look this up online in your state.

Maybe look into a shelter, where you and your children will be safe and where services are available to help you find affordable housing.

There may also be emergency grants locally to help you stay where you are, if that is feasible.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Thanx in advance

So, may b moving in to a windowless storqge trailer end of year ish due to circumstances. (Postrd the brief story already on that)... Will be venting with aluminum mesh and moving blankets durong non work days (dont work yet but putting good vibes out lol) and at night alternating that with the roll up door when needed for safety and shutting door for sleeping at night... .safety..my question is, or questions are lol:: how long will a 20lb tank last if used 3-4 times daily for coojing and heating ?? Brief heating use...

I've added lots of warm blankets etc to my "nomad" tiny amazon list. Won't need to heat more than an hour in an enclosed space.

I'm hoping 20lb Tanks go about 2 weeks with minimal to moderate use??

Pardin any typos. My eyes are going slowly
Your 13 year old can babysit the 8 year old, so you can work. If she can't babysit him, the government reimburses much of the child care expense.

Some fast food places pay nearly $15 an hour. In subsidized housing the rent is 30% of your income. You can contact a women's shelter for help with all this. They should point you in the right direction. If not them, then look up your local LIHEAP agency.

LIHEAP is a federal program that helps pay utility bills (heating and air conditioning), but the government selects a local non-profit "helping" agency to administer the funds. Find LIHEAP where you live and you will find that local helping agency. See: https://liheapch.acf.hhs.gov/search-tool/

If government housing isn't an option where you live (there is a waiting list or too much crime), then start applying outside your area. Eg. in the suburbs or small towns nearby.

You can do this:)

Your 13 year old can babysit the 8 year old, so you can work. If she can't babysit him, the government reimburses much of the child care expense.
Perhaps the babysitting arrangement, but doing this in a shipping container or a van is really asking for trouble, in my experience and opinion.

And trouble will come, it will just be a matter of when.

Federally subsidized child care is also very limited and has long waiting lists, so this isn’t an immediate option.

I do wish you well and a path forward, but urge you to look carefully at what you are considering.

Perhaps the babysitting arrangement, but doing this in a shipping container or a van is really asking for trouble, in my experience and opinion.

And trouble will come, it will just be a matter of when.

Federally subsidized child care is also very limited and has long waiting lists, so this isn’t an immediate option.

I do wish you well and a path forward, but urge you to look carefully at what you are considering.
Right. No containers without fire exits and windows.

I don't know where she lives. Many parts of the country do not have long waiting lists for federally subsidized help, but you are right. Some places do.

The laws protecting the welfare of children have baseline standards that have to be met for the dwelling space structure and amenities. Otherwise a person is at risk of having child welfare take custody of the minor aged children. That is not a battle you would ever want to get into.

ZIP 20743............Fairmont Heights Maryland...............just outside DC

https://www.google.com/maps?q=20743
She may find it hard to find subsidized housing where she lives. If she is willing to relocate, the USDA also provides subsidized housing for the 'very low income' in rural counties. See:

https://rdmfhrentals.sc.egov.usda.g...county.jsp?st=MD&state_name=Maryland&st_cd=24
Some other help type links:

Financial Assistance Links for Maryland: https://dhs.maryland.gov/category/financial-assistance/

Rental Help for Maryland: https://www.hud.gov/states/maryland/renting

Emergency Shelter: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/1672/Emergency-Shelter

All Support Programs for Prince George's County: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/1669/Community-Services

The laws protecting the welfare of children have baseline standards that have to be met for the dwelling space structure and amenities. Otherwise a person is at risk of having child welfare take custody of the minor aged children. That is not a battle you would ever want to get into.
Yes, and although they vary some by state they are very similar.

Commonly, and probably in every state, children cannot be removed from a parent solely due to inadequate food or inadequate shelter, the authorities instead being required to offer/assist with help to resolve the problem.

It’s when parents refuse the help that children can be removed, so really important to pay attention to whatever governs where you live.

This information is available online in every state, and those employed at shelters could also give guidance.

Thinking about this thread today, I have not read of anyone here with children in a van or traditional vehicle, much less a shipping container, boxcar, whatever, doing this successfully.

There have, however, been some threads by young moms with small ones in cars who have come to the attention of child welfare and/or police.

For the OP, if you can hold onto traditional housing and avoid a shelter, that is your best bet, but if you land in a shelter they will help you find housing.

And as to child care expenses, these are used in calculating food stamp eligibility, so that would be of help.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

We perhaps should just stick to talking about the propane subject. There are way too many delicate legal issues that are unrelated being discussed.

Last edited:
We perhaps should just stick to talking about the propane subject. There are way too many delicate legal issues that are unrelated being discussed.
True, tho the OP entwined the issues, and I think the information is important for anyone who may find themselves seeking alternative housing with minor children.

Tho a search for that information might not lead them to “Propane”. ☺️

True, tho the OP entwined the issues, and I think the information is important for anyone who may find themselves seeking alternative housing with minor children.

Tho a search for that information might not lead them to “Propane”. ☺️
It was good that you went that extra mile with links and such. It shows you all care for this mother. It is frightening to see someone in this predicament.

Some fast food places pay nearly $15 an hour. In subsidized housing the rent is 30% of your income. You can contact a women's shelter for help with all this. They should point you in the right direction. If not them, then look up your local LIHEAP agency.

LIHEAP is a federal program that helps pay utility bills (heating and air conditioning), but the government selects a local non-profit "helping" agency to administer the funds. Find LIHEAP where you live and you will find that local helping agency. See: https://liheapch.acf.hhs.gov/search-tool/

If government housing isn't an option where you live (there is a waiting list or too much crime), then start applying outside your area. Eg. in the suburbs or small towns nearby.

You can do this:)
Hey thanks so much for responding so you are correct on a few things. She used to babysit she cannot she plays basketball. So that's a no-go for now until we find out if she makes the team this year lol. Government housing is a no, shelter does not exist that's too long a story to get into. Not every County cares about their people is the short version. I will look into the LIHEAP. Never heard of it thank you for that. As far as branching out goes, harder to do when you don't drive and don't have child care. I used to work years ago and they would let my children stay in the break room at food lion. But now everybody's a stickler for every little thing so.. okay so I'm okay actually with staying in the pod as I've been planning how to insulate Etc and live in it with the kids. My only issue really is my 13 year old because she doesn't want to believe what's happening is really happening so that makes it harder for me to focus on what I need to focus on because I'm always arguing with her or apologizing to her for circumstances that I can't even control that are affecting us. I'm working really hard on getting my eyes fixed because I have 20/400 vision which I think makes me legally blind LOL but not joking. And hoping to be able to improve that enough to be able to drive and if I cannot drive then Lord help us all because my options would be extremely limited as to places to live. I wanted a step van or a tiny house and some land in Arizona everything relies on driving basically. So if I'm not fixable and I'm not cleared I don't know what I'm going to do. But this is our first step into the tiny living not really since we live in an apartment which is just an elaborate tiny home LOL basically. But I do appreciate all the responses Especially Yours. If you think of anything else let me know please. For now, I'm mentally prepping and making my list for everything I need regarding the PODS unit.

Ooooh yea also I'm not on the lease so they won't help with anything if I ask and the donor doesn't care as he's planning on leaving and going to CA for a job. No. We aren't included in that life change. So it's just us 3 and as usual it all falls on Sy. Even living with him this past year he did nothing past paying bills and rent til he lost his job in June. I had to make miracles if the kid or I or the house needed things.

Anywhere I'm shutting up now lol. Thanks

She may find it hard to find subsidized housing where she lives. If she is willing to relocate, the USDA also provides subsidized housing for the 'very low income' in rural counties. See:

https://rdmfhrentals.sc.egov.usda.g...county.jsp?st=MD&state_name=Maryland&st_cd=24
Some other help type links:

Financial Assistance Links for Maryland: https://dhs.maryland.gov/category/financial-assistance/

Rental Help for Maryland: https://www.hud.gov/states/maryland/renting

Emergency Shelter: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/1672/Emergency-Shelter

All Support Programs for Prince George's County: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/1669/Community-Services
Hello how are you? I believe you're referring to me LOL I'm having trouble with my eyes right now I can't get them to focus. It's a normal thing the last 3 years I have 20/400 Vision I'm legally blind but not yet diagnosed as such technically. So at some point I will be able to respond to your message and see your message. But I just wanted to acknowledge that something came through. But I don't know why I never got a notification for this.. talk to you soon thank you all

Hope the talk totext didn't do typos!

I’m really sorry for the situation you find yourself in, and you don’t say where you live, but the living situation you describe with “2 youngish children” may quickly bring you to the attention of law enforcement and child welfare authorities.

This would be considered “inadequate shelter” in most places. You could look this up online in your state.

Maybe look into a shelter, where you and your children will be safe and where services are available to help you find affordable housing.

There may also be emergency grants locally to help you stay where you are, if that is feasible.

Good luck to you.
Hello how are you? I believe you're referring to me LOL I'm having trouble with my eyes right now I can't get them to focus. It's a normal thing the last 3 years I have 20/400 Vision I'm legally blind but not yet diagnosed as such technically. So at some point I will be able to respond to your message and see your message. But I just wanted to acknowledge that something came through. But I don't know why I never got a notification for this..

i had explained to another mem that ::
Government housing is a no, shelter does not exist (been there done it and yea..) that's too long a story to get into. Not every County cares about their people is 1 of the short versions. I will look into the LIHEAP. (That person mentioned it..) Never heard of it As far as branching out goes, (they suggested i just relicate new town city county etc) harder to do when you don't drive can't see n don't have income; and don't have child care. I used to work years ago and they would let my children stay in the break room at food lion. But now everybody's a stickler for every little thing so.. okay so I'm okay actually with staying in the PODS unit as I've been planning how to insulate Etc and live in it with the kids. My only issue really is my 13 year old because she doesn't want to believe what's happening is really happening so that makes it harder for me to focus on what I need to focus on because I'm always arguing with her or apologizing to her for circumstances that I can't even control that are affecting us. (( per your concern of poluce and cps, no1 here in my area cares enuff to call cps, they don't trust the police to involve them, and i live 30 feet from the only women n family shelter here and the women there daily complain how nasty etc it is so no. Not an option. Got worse from wen we were there B4 it seems))

I'm working really hard on getting my eyes fixed because I have 20/400 vision which I think makes me legally blind LOL but not joking. And hoping to be able to improve that enough to be able to drive and if I cannot drive then Lort help us all because my options would be extremely limited as to places to live. I wanted a step van or a tiny house and some land in Arizona everything relies on driving basically. So if I'm not fixable and I'm not cleared I don't know what I'm going to do. But this is our first step into the tiny living and mine into bettering my life and owning my own for us.. but not really a first step lol since we live in an apartment which is just an elaborate tiny home LOL basically.:::

. But I do appreciate all the responses Especially Yours. If you think of anything else let me know please. For now, I'm mentally prepping and making my list for everything I need regarding the PODS unit.

Ooooh yea also I'm not on the lease so the help programs, few only 4, won't help with anything if I ask and the donor doesn't care as he's planning on leaving and going to CA for a job. No. We aren't included in that life change. So it's just us 3 and as usual it all falls on Sy. Even living with him this past year he did nothing past paying bills and rent til he lost his job in June. I had to make miracles if the kid or i or the house needed things.

Anyway I'm shutting up now lol talk to you soon thank you all

Hope the talk to text didn't do typos!

Last edited:
Sorry. I tend to add info I deem pertinent but may nit b.... tho I do appreciate the side topic help along with the propane one 🙃🙃

I should stick to simple and use talk to text more. Sorry if typos

Latest posts