Propane

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the babysitting arrangement, but doing this in a shipping container or a van is really asking for trouble, in my experience and opinion.

And trouble will come, it will just be a matter of when.

Federally subsidized child care is also very limited and has long waiting lists, so this isn’t an immediate option.

I do wish you well and a path forward, but urge you to look carefully at what you are considering.
Hi thank you for responding. Not trying to be rude. Please read through my replies to everyone else if you want detailed response LOL so I don't keep repeating myself. Also my vision is not focused right now having 20/400 Vision that happens. But I understand your concerns and really all I can say is I have no other options. And reading the responses to others will helpe you understand what I mean .. especially read my response to wandering rose. Thanks for your care. I'll watch what I post from now on....I'm upsetting many it seems

She may find it hard to find subsidized housing where she lives. If she is willing to relocate, the USDA also provides subsidized housing for the 'very low income' in rural counties. See:

https://rdmfhrentals.sc.egov.usda.g...county.jsp?st=MD&state_name=Maryland&st_cd=24
Some other help type links:

Financial Assistance Links for Maryland: https://dhs.maryland.gov/category/financial-assistance/

Rental Help for Maryland: https://www.hud.gov/states/maryland/renting

Emergency Shelter: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/1672/Emergency-Shelter

All Support Programs for Prince George's County: https://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/1669/Community-Services
Thank you for caring. Please read my response to wandering rose so I don't repeat to every1 the same thing lol. Not being rude. My eyes are fading again. And well that message to her sums it all up

Thank you again for your concern hope no typos

The laws protecting the welfare of children have baseline standards that have to be met for the dwelling space structure and amenities. Otherwise a person is at risk of having child welfare take custody of the minor aged children. That is not a battle you would ever want to get into.
Hi. No I wouldn't but to make this shirt please read my response to wandering rose . That's the long if the short. The shirt being I have no other options ... It's getting harder to read and see right now..sorry
Yes, and although they vary some by state they are very similar.

Commonly, and probably in every state, children cannot be removed from a parent solely due to inadequate food or inadequate shelter, the authorities instead being required to offer/assist with help to resolve the problem.

It’s when parents refuse the help that children can be removed, so really important to pay attention to whatever governs where you live.

This information is available online in every state, and those employed at shelters could also give guidance.

Thinking about this thread today, I have not read of anyone here with children in a van or traditional vehicle, much less a shipping container, boxcar, whatever, doing this successfully.

There have, however, been some threads by young moms with small ones in cars who have come to the attention of child welfare and/or police.

For the OP, if you can hold onto traditional housing and avoid a shelter, that is your best bet, but if you land in a shelter they will help you find housing.

And as to child care expenses, these are used in calculating food stamp eligibility, so that would be of help.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Thank you so much for your words and encouragement and warnings. To avoid repeating myself and not to be rude when you read the response to wandering Rose you'll understand. Please read the response I wrote to her if you can see it. I've been telling everybody this most Lisa not repeat myself but also because I appreciate your concern and that message to her sums it all up for me. The short version is I have no other options. Hopefully this talk to text didn't do any typos I'm starting to really get a light headache from not being able to see well so I'm glad I caught your message and I'm able to respond and hopefully you can find and read my response to wandering rose. That would also explain why I'm getting a light headache from reading the messages

Thank you for the concern and care. Hopefully no typos Thank Q

December 31.
Where?
Iowa would be different from Baja.
Prior to inhabiting your storgge trailer, you might want to turn it into a residence:
* insulation is essential
* a couple windows on opposite walls
* locking door
* a place to empty your bladder.

Insulation:
We like square straight walls and ceiling.
A simple insulation job uses flat panels of pink-board or foil-side poly in 48" x 96".
The stuff is rigid enough to span eight feet without support beams.

Cubic space is another consideration.
A low ceiling consolidates your heat closer to your body.
That was one reason we lowered the roof on our storage trailer... it was about the semi-trailer standard of 13'6", we chopped 18" out for a new height of around 11' or so.
Another factor in cubic space are the walls.
Our ExpeditionVehicle interior is 12' long by 7' wide with an interior height of about 7'... about 600cf.
We heat our tiny space with a Wave 3 catalytic heater on 'LOW'.
We always open two windows on opposite walls.
Escaping warm air carries humidity and odors.
Our Wave 3 catalytic heater lacks a thermostat, it pumps its 1,700Btu irregardless of interior temperature.
We regulate the temperature by opening the windows -- for example -- a quarter-inch in one wall, a half-inch on the other.
Below freezing outside, a five-gallon twenty-pounder propane bottle lasts about ten days:
* continuous heat, plus
* cooking.
Locking door:
Your local-owned family-operated hardware store should have a dead-bolt lock.
I might consider hiring a handy-person to install a dead-bolt in one of your doors.
Bladder:
We use a retired laundry-detergent jug.
With the 'puck' knocked out, the opening is a couple-three inches wide, easy to fit in the dark.
For a few hundred dollars, you can be very comfortable.
You have a couple months to fiddle with it, tune it, make it right prior to the permanent move.
Sounds like fun!
Hey there! Thank you for your response. Hope the type to text doesn't do typos. I love your response and your attitude. You're very helpful I appreciate it. I also want to direct you to everybody else's messages and responses to this. I seem to have upset a lot of people. A lot of warnings about the police and CPS etc. I will take into consideration what you're saying, can't cut any holes as I have to return it the way I receive it. Which is why I was considering a one foot opening at the door at night when I close it. And just locking it at one foot height since it's a roll up door. That way any residual humidity Etc can escape through that opening. Very good idea thank you. If you're interested, you can read my response to Carla or to wandering Rose. More information on the response I gave to wandering rose. And I appreciate you and everyone in this group really responding and caring in your concern and your help... hopefully I don't upset anyone else, will try to curb my posts from now on

Need to go now. My eyes are fading. And a headache is setting in.. appreciate you much. Thanks for the situation advice. 💙💙💙🙏🏾🙏🏾 talk later

I’m sure most here are mainly worried about you and your families well being. Living in a storage box you can not ventilate adequately at night in order to sleep securely can be life threatening for all of you.

In your Originating Post, I understood you to say 'storgge trailer'.
I based my Post Eighteen suggestions on our experience with our 40' semi-trailer conversion.
Partway through this thread, you change your goal to renting a 6x6 plastic box in the street.
This will be my final conversation with you.
a)
Eugene, Oregon.
I see PODS.
They are thin corrugated plastic, walls and ceiling of the same flimsy material as election signs in the yard.
If my opinion, that is NOT suitable for a residence.
b)
"If you can work, you are NOT eligible for disability.
If you are disabled, you can NOT work."
These are the definitions.
c)
In that situation, in an non-insulated plastic box in the street, a Wave 3 catalytic heater NOT adequate.
I wish you well.
Guess you're another person I've upset with my life? Sorry to do so. Not my intentions. But thank you for all advices given and help. I appreciate your time and well wishes. I hope for change. And I again apologize fir my life upsetting you.

Stay blessed.

And I'm working on getting disability
so you know, it's a long process i just was able to attempt to start. and we can't really wait the 6 to 18 mon. Some things Better explained in my response to wandering rose here if interested.. anyway

Happy life, trails and travels to you and yours💙🙏🏾 sorry to lose a potential friend

Last edited:
I’m sure most here are mainly worried about you and your families well being. Living in a storage box you can not ventilate adequately at night in order to sleep securely can be life threatening for all of you.
I'm working through a vision headache right now to respond to you because it's very important to respond to you and say thank you for that information and concern. I have no other options. The long version responds I gave to wandering Rose if you're interested.. but since I'm upsetting so many people with my life and the only option I saw as adequate for my situation, I will curb my posts from now on, and try and figure out another solution from somewhere. Thank you so much I appreciate you

...Commonly, and probably in every state, children cannot be removed from a parent solely due to inadequate food or inadequate shelter...
WanderingRose,
In my experience with bureaucrats such as CPS, their goals and mission statement -- in today's topic, safety of minors -- is a peripheral consideration.
Their focus is justifying their existence.
To accomplish this goal, they act extra-judiciously (beyond their authority), creating problems where none existed.
They recruit other bureaucrats -- LawEnforcementOfficials, welfare, feds -- to further their common agenda.
If, by accident, the family is helped, that would be merely a 'plus' for the paperwork.
Based on my experience, I think believing in hypothetical good intentions of bureaucrats is NOT productive.

.. especially read my response to wandering rose.
You were replying to Wandering Rose.

I don't think you are upsetting anyone. We're just pointing out that Pod living won't work.

>>>>Government housing is a no, shelter does not exist (been there done it and yea..) that's too long a story to get into. Not every County cares about their people is 1 of the short versions.

It exists. (You've 'been there and done that...') If you want to try again, there are six counties with open waiting lists.

>>>> I will look into the LIHEAP. (That person mentioned it..) Never heard of it

Suprised you haven't heard of it. Many low income folks rely on it always. Couldn't keep our heat on without it.

>>>>As far as branching out goes, (they suggested i just relicate new town city county etc) harder to do when you don't drive can't see n don't have income; and don't have child care.

There are agencies that will help you relocate. Have you contacted Catholic Charities? From one of the links I posted above:

The Department of Social Services wants to assist in the independence and stability of Prince George’s County families. We can provide information and/or assist you with the following:

• Housing and Homeless Services: Provides County residents facing eviction or homelessness with assistance, information and referrals.
  • Emergency Shelter Services: Provides County residents with shelter options. Please call the Central Point of Intake, the homeless hot line at 888-731-0999.
  • Energy Programs: Provides County residents with a grant to assist with their utility bills and information on how to decrease energy costs. Visit Energy Saving Tips to get information on conserving energy costs.
  • Food Programs: Provides County residents with numbers to the closest food pantry or other food programs.
  • Volunteer Services: Provides opportunities for citizens and residents to contribute their time, expertise and good will to people less fortunate than themselves.

>>>>>I used to work years ago and they would let my children stay in the break room at food lion. But now everybody's a stickler for every little thing so..

You have a 13-year-old now

>>>>> okay so I'm okay actually with staying in the PODS unit as I've been planning how to insulate Etc and live in it with the kids. My only issue really is my 13 year old because she doesn't want to believe what's happening is really happening...

Is this the type of Pods Unit you are referring to?

business_home_compressed.jpg

to the OP:

I feel strongly here that we should not help others hurl themselves off a cliff, so will just say once more that moving into a POD unit with your children is an emergency waiting to happen.

You don’t say how you are going to support yourself, tho are waiting for disability, but applying at least for food stamps will bring you face to face with someone who might be able to steer you toward local resources.

But, then, you may have to have an address, as with the kids school and so many other things, and a POD will have no address.

This is not going to end well, my dear. 😞

You were replying to Wandering Rose.

I don't think you are upsetting anyone. We're just pointing out that Pod living won't work.

>>>>Government housing is a no, shelter does not exist (been there done it and yea..) that's too long a story to get into. Not every County cares about their people is 1 of the short versions.

It exists. (You've 'been there and done that...') If you want to try again, there are six counties with open waiting lists.

>>>> I will look into the LIHEAP. (That person mentioned it..) Never heard of it

Suprised you haven't heard of it. Many low income folks rely on it always. Couldn't keep our heat on without it.

>>>>As far as branching out goes, (they suggested i just relicate new town city county etc) harder to do when you don't drive can't see n don't have income; and don't have child care.

There are agencies that will help you relocate. Have you contacted Catholic Charities? From one of the links I posted above:

The Department of Social Services wants to assist in the independence and stability of Prince George’s County families. We can provide information and/or assist you with the following:

• Housing and Homeless Services: Provides County residents facing eviction or homelessness with assistance, information and referrals.
  • Emergency Shelter Services: Provides County residents with shelter options. Please call the Central Point of Intake, the homeless hot line at 888-731-0999.
  • Energy Programs: Provides County residents with a grant to assist with their utility bills and information on how to decrease energy costs. Visit Energy Saving Tips to get information on conserving energy costs.
  • Food Programs: Provides County residents with numbers to the closest food pantry or other food programs.
  • Volunteer Services: Provides opportunities for citizens and residents to contribute their time, expertise and good will to people less fortunate than themselves.

>>>>>I used to work years ago and they would let my children stay in the break room at food lion. But now everybody's a stickler for every little thing so..

You have a 13-year-old now

>>>>> okay so I'm okay actually with staying in the PODS unit as I've been planning how to insulate Etc and live in it with the kids. My only issue really is my 13 year old because she doesn't want to believe what's happening is really happening...

Is this the type of Pods Unit you are referring to?

View attachment 34410
I need a tablet or other device to do this. Phone hurts my eyes more. Gives headaches...

Pardon me and any typos plz. Thanx...

Ok..I'm responding in order of what you addressed.....PODS may not work but we have nowhere else to go. I am rethinking but then that only leaves the streets. I've lived in a storage unit before years ago I was homeless it was just me. And I was working. Ciykdnt afford an apt but could afford rent. But as with Aptana 1 has to make 3x rent to qualify and have decent credit score... I couldn't even dip my toe in those pools. Still can't now. And now it's make $45,000 a year or more plus score! I digress

Per the area of housing n shelter. Yiu can only receive help in the county you reside here. There's no cross county help. It may seem Easy and doable online but as I said I been there tried that. It's a no. No ither county will help unless you are in their county already an R a resident. 60 days or more. Which requires 2utility bills as address proof. I have no bills currently. The shelter there's only the one here for womensingle n withchildren. We live 1 block from it now. We were there before and you have to be out 2 years to be considered nonetheless go back. It's Bern 1yr 5 mon for us. Can't go..plus in a diff thread i explained they gut worse. Some of the school parents live there abd talk about drugs and men being there. Abd the Dss director assigned there said may close in 2 years or add men downstairs as homelessness is THAT BAD HERE. So for me it's a no.

So LIHEAP ....were nit told of many resources here. And most i dont qualify for of my age..As I said these ppl don't care to help. If you don't kno then you won't know and therefore can't ask. As I mention in same nother thread, I'm not on the lease. It's z donor's apt.that was a struggle alone getting hom to help us out.. Therefore , not bein on lease, I'm not recognized and cannot be helped or qualify fir rental or utility help etc.
I get ebt we have medicaid that's it. So far....

So yea no. Catholic charities here, other programs here don't help with anything and don't try to hide it. they just send you all over the globe and those ppl do the same and so the circle goes. In my ciunty. No1 wants to pit in work rather theu pass you on to another. It's about cashing paychecks here 89% not helping ppl....

Qhat you pulled from dss is just talk n web niceties. Spend days and hours there like me an countless other people.; try n get sum1 then you do n thy "sorry can't help" or say call 211. Which I have abd they send you back to the same places n ppl who "can't help". Vicious ciryrcle.

My 13 year old does 🏀 and is not home in time in general to pick up her brother nonetheless babysit. She gets in from regular school day offa bus 4p. He has to b picked up by 245. Not possible and not her responsibility honestly. He's my son not hers... and I don't want to add my responsibility to her.. nor takr 🏀 away and what little childhood she has left. My kids have been thru a lot of trauma since 2016....I wont add more if I can help it

Yes that's the PODS unit and here it's all steel with aluminum roof and 7 inch walls all around. I like the one you showed. Here they are garage door style rollups.. loud. I think doors would b better... and After being warned against using it for temp shelt, I now don't kno what to do....we don't have choices or long

I promise to directly address your original query, but I agree with the sentiment that others have expressed about the reasonableness of your plan. I think you need help coming up with a viable solution, and I know who can help you, though it will probably require stepping outside your comfort zone. Contact the president of a local real estate investor club and explain your situation. Do not do it by email. You could do it over the phone, but better yet is to attend an in person meetup. There are multiple different scenarios that might work, depending on your abilities. From house sitting to property management to finding an cheap mobile home to gig work...

I believe you are in Arizona. Here's a list of REIA clubs:
https://reiclub.com/real-estate-clubs/arizona/

Ok, onto your original query. The Mr Heater Buddy types could consume a couple of 16 oz cylinders during an overnight. A diesel heater is a much better (safer, drier, cheaper) option. Only the exhaust needs to be kept outside. To keep cold air out when the rollup door is left ajar, cut a sheet of foam board to the size of the gap left open, this will probably be something like 2 inch x 7 ft. If the heater can be left outside, cut a hole in the foam board large enough to accommodate the hot air duct (~2.5 in). If the heater must be kept inside the pod, cut a hole in the foam board large enough to accommodate the exhaust pipe (~1 in).

The heater doesn't need much power, but it will need a 12V or 120V source. A small power station is sufficient (I recommend Bluetti or EcoFlow) or shore power if its available.

Here are some links:
https://www.amazon.com/HCALORY-Port...mzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10
https://hcalory.com/collections/hea...tal-toolbox-all-in-one?variant=40900916215851
https://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Tech-...-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-310891/202532856
https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-P...mzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10
https://www.amazon.com/BLUETTI-Port...ords=eb3a&qid=1696921904&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3

afblangly,

She has two minor children living with her, in case you weren't aware. Your idea is not a good idea for her, IMHO. Safety first.

afblangly,

She has two minor children living with her, in case you weren't aware. Your idea is not a good idea for her, IMHO. Safety first.
I think that the external heater is FAR safer than having a Mr. Buddy inside at night. But the diesel heater vented externally would be the safest solution of all I think.

Someone, in response to Syfyinsanebaby, said they had never heard of a nomad with kids. There are nomads traveling with children. Of the ones I have seen on youtube, they all had pretty decent rigs. I've seen them living in a school bus, a Class C, and a very expensive Class A.

I'd rather see Syfy and the kids in a school bus, or shuttle bus, before a pod. Sometimes churches find vehicles for people. Syfy, you have to let people know what you need. People in your community.

Contact different organizations that regularly do fundraisers. Ie. Rotary Club, Masonic Lodge, Knights of Columbus

Those people will know people... eventually someone will find a vehicle or rig for you.

If you are legally blind, there will be lots of financial assistance. If not legally blind, then get your vision corrected ASAP.

Someone, in response to Syfyinsanebaby, said they had never heard of a nomad with kids. There are nomads traveling with children. Of the ones I have seen on youtube, they all had pretty decent rigs. I've seen them living in a school bus, a Class C, and a very expensive Class A.
I think you’re referring to me, and what I said basically was that I hadn’t seen anyone on this forum in a non traditional vehicle, doing this successfully with children.

I have over 22 years seen many families traveling full time in converted school buses, RV’s, etc., homeschooling their children and having a wonderful time exploring the country.

Moving into a POD with children, or a van, an SUV, etc., with limited space and no utilities, is a much different situation, and ready-made for contact with police and child welfare authorities.

And being nomadic with children requires an ability to homeschool, doesn’t it? And with such a severe visual impairment the OP may not be able to do this. I believe schooling to a certain age is required in all states.

Anyone considering what the OP proposes can google it in their own state, or call police or the CPS hotline to ask. There will be written policy, procedure and allegations pertaining to inadequate shelter, clearly defined.

Why ask for trouble and set yourself up for the chaos and failure, aside from putting your children thru that experience after moving them into a storage container?

As I understand her posts, the OP and her children are not yet homeless, she is looking around for options but says a shelter is not one of them.

While I appreciate that, and that shelter rules/requirements may be a deterrent, homeless women with children are a priority, and I promise you that something is available.

If the OP wants to send me a private message with their city and state, or post it here, I would be happy to do some searching for them.

Last edited:
While I appreciate that, homeless women with children are a priority, and I promise you that something is available.

If the OP wants to send me a private message with their city and state, or post it here, I would be happy to do some searching for them.
I think so, too. Because she has children.

Syfy, I, too, can help with researching for solutions, if I knew where you lived. Feel free to send me a PM.

I promise to directly address your original query, but I agree with the sentiment that others have expressed about the reasonableness of your plan. I think you need help coming up with a viable solution, and I know who can help you, though it will probably require stepping outside your comfort zone. Contact the president of a local real estate investor club and explain your situation. Do not do it by email. You could do it over the phone, but better yet is to attend an in person meetup. There are multiple different scenarios that might work, depending on your abilities. From house sitting to property management to finding an cheap mobile home to gig work...

Ho thanks. I'm trying to work another solution now. But still need the PODS unit to store items once ...you know . I can't even speak it

Curious about what it is I'm supposed to expect this person you refer to do?? A real estate investors club person??
Also I have two children. They cannot just live anywhere they will get pit out if school as they are there because if the address. My son is getting special attention and that's hard to replace...plus house sitting etc ppl wint like, as I have kids , for me to do this with them in their home ...I can't even get private rentals because if having kids. Ppl see them as a liability etc...I'll still look intonajd try tho
I believe you are in Arizona. Here's a list of REIA clubs:
https://reiclub.com/real-estate-clubs/arizona/

NO IM MOT IN AZ IT IS JUST A LIFE GOAL FIR THE FUTURE..AND I M NIT YELLING LOL THE CAPS HWRE HELPS ME WITH ALL THIS TEXT.
Ok, onto your original query. The Mr Heater Buddy types could consume a couple of 16 oz cylinders during an overnight. A diesel heater is a much better (safer, drier, cheaper) option. I HAD LET THE HEATER IDEA GO FOR HOT WATER BOTTLES INSTEAD. SAFER N CAN KP Z DOOR LOCKED PROPERLY..A DIESEL WOULD BE NICE I ASSIME. NEV USED 1 B4. IT WOULD QUALIFY TO HEAT THAT SPACE, IT B IN 128 AQFT AND I THINK DIEAELS CAN HEAT ABOU THAT MUCH FINE.

Only the exhaust needs to be kept outside. To keep cold air out when the rollup door is left ajar YES I JAVE SEEN VIDS ON THAT NEEDING RO BE FUNNELED OUT, cut a sheet of foam board to the size of the gap left open WILL DIS ALLOW AIRFLOW INTONTHEBUNIT? THE GAP WAS TO VENT. MY IDEA WAS TOBUSE SHADE CLOTH AND MOVR BLANKET TO "INSULATE" AND VENT SIMULTANEOUSLY, this will probably be something like 2 inch x 7 ft. If the heater can be left outside, cut a hole in the foam board large enough to accommodate the hot air ✅️. If the heater must be kept inside the pod, cut a hole in the foam board large enough to accommodate the exhaust pipe (~1 in).✅

The heater doesn't need much power, but it will need a 12V or 120V source. A small power station is sufficient (I recommend Bluetti or EcoFlow) or shore power if its available. THIS WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABKE TO GATHER FUNDS FOR POWER BSNKS ETC SO ITS LIKE OLD SCHOOL COUNTRY RIGJT NOW. BLABKETS AND SOLAR OR BATTERY LAMPS ETC FOR LIGHTS ETC LIKE THAT BUTANE PROPANE STOVE ETC COOKING

I HAV A LOT OF HELPFUL PIECES ON MY AMAZON LIST FIR THIS PODS IDEA I WILL ADD THE ITEMS YOU LIBKED THANKS. AND THE BLURTTI WAS FORST ON MYNLIST LOL I LOVE THEIR BRAND AND ECOFLO WAS 2ND LOL

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE ADVICE LINKS AJD INFO. PLUS CARE AND CONCERN. ITS WARMING KNOWING FOLKS CARE

AGAIN PLZ HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAT THE ESTATE PERSONS ROLE IS TO BE FIR US IN THIS...FEELING SLOW IN THAT AREA..🙏🏾🙏🏾💙💙💎💎🤓

Latest posts