The perfect cargo trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMooney

Reaction score
If you were going to pick the perfect size cargo trailer what would that be and why?

For one person.... a 6 x 12 , which is around 1200# and pretty easy to tow. A larger one will require more truck and gas to tow it. Anything less will seem pretty small after a few weeks of use, or if it rains for days and you are stuck inside. I bought a 6 x 12 and am happy with it.

You mentioned being stuck in rain . Do you have an awning?

Mine is 6x14 and has an awning, queen size bed, small solar panel (I want a larger one) ... tv, fan, window. Seems like a good size and weight is just over 1500 lbs. - single axle, easy to tow... I would prefer double axle but I'm not carrying anything heavy, so maybe not necessary.

Yes Ive done some study on towing a 6x12 . About any truck or suv can tow it easily. But I dont know how the size works for living. It's the perfect size to tow I agree.

A while back I bought a 7x14 tandem axle that I thought would be the minimum size for my needs. With a 7' wide trailer you can place the bed width-wise. This would have worked out much better with the floor plan I wanted which would have included space to haul a motorcycle.

A 7x14TA weighs a LOT more than a single axle cargo because the frame is heavier plus the extra axle and there's just more of everything. Anyway, I decided that my 27 yo 1/2-ton van wasn't up to the task of towing a 7x14 + a build so I sold it to my nephew. Mostly what I worried about was the strain on the transmission.

I'm on a tight budget and really can't afford to upgrade to a better tow vehicle. So now I'm shopping for a 6x12 single-axle that will have to do space-wise.

Looks like I need to do some weight scenarios. I'm going to open up a little bit here because I havent helped. I need to do that I apologize. I'm going to live in it . I want it big enough for a shower. I'm going to need a water holding tank inside .batteries for solar. Counter top cabinet to cook on. Gas bottle. Storage I'm not concerned . I'll put it where it fits. Small and large compressor freezers. I want a tv . Can be on wall. Queen size bed would be nice but might not get it. I'll be free camping BLM forestry or state parks on discount. Dry camping. I'm wanting 30 gallons of water . Might not be able to. I love quick showers.

If you want all that then you may want a larger trailer.

First question is-- single axle vs tandem axle? Box size is more a personal use/need issue. I have a single axle 7' by 12' with 6' 6" ceiling & a 3 foot stretch V nose --about the biggest single axle they make. I am usually at or near the weight limit for a single axle and I wish that I had gone tandem for what I have to haul--hauling small motorcycle and 30 gallon water tank, contents etc. etc etc. If doing over I buy Tandem 7' by 16' with 6' 6" ceiling --ramp + 36 " r.v. door on side.
t

I need to build my house plan. Put in the space I need. My thinking is the trailer is a bigger expense in my case than the tow vehicle by the time i put in it what i want. I know i cant get what i want in a van alone. Getting a high to van today is rediculas . The cheapest company isnt doing it anymore on toppers. The price of the top alone is 2 grand with out labor . That's what I read. That's within 500 of a new 6x12 trailer from a factory . I think it was about 25 hundred. I dont even want to talk about buying a sprinter . It's out of my change purse limits. So I relax and take a breath . Think. I'm going to be sitting 90 percent of the time. I'm only going to be moving from Arizona to New Mexico and back. Lake Mead wash Las Vegas . I'm only going to be pulling water from quartsite or Yuma to camp . I can haul the water in pick up . The trailer doesnt have to hsul it. I wont haul that much traveling. Water is close there and close in the wash BLM. New Mexico state parks have water. I told Maki I would figgure it out. So I think its about size to get my stuff in not weight. That's why I started this thread. I'll say I was leaning on a 7x14 or 7 x16. Now I've learn I can get 7x14 single axle but I need to run weights. I have a truck but id like an suv or a van be able to pull it so that probably puts it with a 6 x 12. Any decent suv will pull a 6x12. 4x4 is what's on my mind thrre. Used SUVs 4x4 are reasonsble price plus viable storage.

travelaround said:
Mine is 6x14...

That size is not very common. Did you order it? I almost bought a Haulmark 6x14 but the interior height was just 6' and with insulation added it would have been too low for me.

To TMoony Absolutely draw/plan it out before you decide what to buy and also keep in mind that the actual width inside may be less than the
advertised width--my 7 foot is like 6 feet 8" wide (your results may vary). If memory serves it was like $400-450 more to get a
second axel (in2016). The trailers in Georgia are a lot cheaper if there is a way to pick up from factory.

To TMoony,
Here are a couple of pics to give an example of what can fit in a large single axel (7 x 12 + v) no-build  cargo trailer.   It is pretty well maxed out for space when
hauling the motorcycle and the other stuff that goes outside.   Please ignore the upright water tank --that is not a
correct way to install or use. If it is not necessary to haul something, the layout could be improved to maximize living space.

Attachments

• 2020-02-22 13.03.35.jpg
    2020-02-22 13.03.35.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • 2020-02-22 13.04.22.jpg
    2020-02-22 13.04.22.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
  • 2020-02-22 13.07.28.jpg
    2020-02-22 13.07.28.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
I like the wall. Putting air in and not ruining your trailer for resale.

The wall was a necessity as I didn't want a big BTU rv AC on the roof.
The window AC is a 6000 btu high efficiency that can run off a 2000 watt generator.
Super quiet. Also I wanted the back ramp to double as a "porch" on jack-stands.
The wall takes about 14 inches off the length of the inside of the trailer.

You can also put a 5,000 lb axle on a single axle trailer. It will cost more, especially if you add a brake controller to your tow vehicle, but it would also be safer for mountian downhill runs. It seems the reason most trailers don't use them is several States require electric brakes on a 5K axle. This adds to the cost of manufacture. Here is one example https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/p...DOHwlZt0E800MNrjwu9unTYYYMM2ggUUaAgDbEALw_wcB

I would go with truck tires myself as trailer tires seem to all come out of China and are known to blow out.

trailer-t said:
The wall was a necessity as I didn't want a big BTU rv AC on the roof.

Nice setup. That also makes it possible for stealth if you needed it. An AC on the roof screams CAMPER.

Danny B Thanks! that was a good post that gives me some ideas. I know a guy that builds trailers and he may be able to upgrade my axel and add Brakes. The Suburban I tow with has weak braking even when they are in good working order--mechanic says it is just the way they all are?? No way would I go into the mountains towing --but I live in a cornfield around here. Would like to add the the brakes though. The axel is rated 3500 even though the trailer is rated at 2990.

Thanks Slow2day. With no windows, it is pretty plain jane when not set up. but I generally just go to campgrounds anyway (am not full time) --I like fires and being outside. My Suburban tow vehicle is also set up as a half ass mini SUV camper and if wanting to do the stealth thing, I would probably use that.
Prior Suburban Thread: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=39095 . t

"The Suburban I tow with has weak braking even when they are in good working order--mechanic says it is just the way they all are??"

WHAT???????????

you need a new mechanic.

highdesertranger