The Fat Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a chinook in a shop
001_14.jpg

ok,the big window has a 2 piece mount so i was able to take the bottom off get the wall panel out,screw the mount back on and move to the top,got them off good enough for a template for the window curves

001_15.jpg

my first dry rot
002_10.jpg

looks like it came from that marker light,thats my chassis electrical
005_6.jpg

new leak in the bottom corner and notice how the stray foam is level
003_9.jpg

and then pudders off to nothing
004_9.jpg

see how they used those nail in things to hold the electrical,those are whats giving me a problem behind the shower,looks like i will have to cut the paneling to get them,didnt want to mess with the bathroom

ceiling piece delamed in the center,going to have to inject whatever when the temps get high enough for products to work
006_6.jpg

there is no structural integrity with everything removed it is just a sheet of plastic,you can grab it and move it about an inch or so,thinking some high density spray foam,more wood where i can and whatever i build inside mount it solid to the floor and walls,beyond a metal frame/roll cage this rv will go poof in an accident or roll over or good sized limb falling on it

envy for metal vans with metal ribs,but i am 7 foot wide and dont rust

got the other side off
001_16.jpg

all the wood is solid on this side,but the same foam,good just right of window and a token praying on the bottom

so what i am think is,glue in some 2x6 nailers,foam it up and build the walls out of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood
should provide enough rigidity and fiberglass sheet,foam then plywood sounds like enough insulation to me

just keep ignoring the giant single plane windows,the big one is 7'8"x2'4",might just panel over half of it

went to ace and got all the 1/2" pvc and fittings,got home and learned about cts(copper tube size),will go back tomorrow and return it all,if they dont have it home depot does but they are another 1/2 hour away

gotta love doing things twice

took one of those long overhead cabinets i keep hitting my head on and cut it in half
001_17.jpg

found some good enough paneling,cut it out,glue and nails
002_11.jpg

will build doors and paint

wire were stapled behind the bathroom so they got cut out
008_2.jpg

everywhere they used staples or those plastic nail in hold downs it pinched the wires and made a hot spot discoloring the casing

while using a straight edge to try to figure out the walls i put it on the floor and there was about a 1/2 bow,grabbed the pad and flashlight and crawled around,the floor is 2 layers of 5/8 plywood with the stock metal floor,the plywood extends 14 or so inches past the metal floor but i couldn't see anything obvious,everything looked good,could be an 1/8-1/4 that i couldnt visibly see but nothing what was seen with the straightedge,went inside and the hole where the table stand goes i could slide my fingers under,the center has bowed up,as far as i can see there are 6 bolts holding the house to the frame,i changed that,added 6 carriage bolts,much better now
012_1.jpg

cut flared and plugged the fridge line,it's called a flare plug
016_1.jpg

the spoils
014_1.jpg

rv inspired woodshed floor
013_1.jpg

photobucket is right there at suck,used to be easy to use and now is so overwhelmed with ads and junk it barely works,but to switch would be a task of downloading and uploading,guess i am stuck for now

Gary68 said:
photobucket is right there at suck,used to be easy to use and now is so overwhelmed with ads and junk it barely works,but to switch would be a task of downloading and uploading,guess i am stuck for now

Photobucket is truly garbage now and has been for some time. Use imgur.com for your new uploads.

Gary,

Lots of work. In addition to doing things twice way too often, I also seem to be dropping things or knocking things over or tripping over stuff a lot. It's gotten to the point during my build-out that I expect things to tumble down all over the place with regularity. It happens so often that if I'm in the wrong mood, it makes me almost apoplectic.

In my build I also decided that 3/4" foam and 1/2" plywood (one on each side) was going to be sufficient insulation. FWIW, 1/2" plywood has an R-value near 1.

Keep up the good work and the photo posting.

Tom

imgur.com went real smooth and by using the share option-BBCode (Forums) i didnt have to use crvl photo posting option,just copy.paste,cool,thanks alot tmg51

Vagabound said:
Gary,

Lots of work. In addition to doing things twice way too often, I also seem to be dropping things or knocking things over or tripping over stuff a lot. It's gotten to the point during my build-out that I expect things to tumble down all over the place with regularity. It happens so often that if I'm in the wrong mood, it makes me almost apoplectic.

In my build I also decided that 3/4" foam and 1/2" plywood (one on each side) was going to be sufficient insulation. FWIW, 1/2" plywood has an R-value near 1.

Keep up the good work and the photo posting.

Tom

i do have the option of just walking away and doing other things,of which i do

i'm going with closed cell spray foam 1-3 inches and 1/2 plywood,if that doesn't work... well i do have wheels

it just never ends
tErJtpC.jpg

and mouse nest #2

destructo complete
EFDdVr0.jpg

next up cleaning up the chassis electrical,it's a horrible mess,goes down through the floor with black tape as protection then back to plain wires,hoping whats behind the bathroom all works cause i cant get to it,can't clean and seal the outside at the moment,monsoon a happening

after that i can fix the bad wood and add some more to screw the walls to and thats about it for the inside until temps and humidity change,dont want to work this hard and have it all go to crap because i tried using goo at 45f and 85% humidity

Good, maybe mean old jack frost will go away and let you get stuff done

Yeah, I've discovered a few products that don't work very well at 40 degrees F, but become much more reasonable at 80 degrees F, regardless what the packaging says.

Tom

I'm waiting till noon most days when it gets 60 degrees, that way I don't have to spend the whole afternoon fixing what I just fixed that morning!

Gary68, I just spent at least the last hour going through your thread here. You sir have done one heck of a job on your little penthouse on wheels!
It is not only a way cool rig, but I'm sure you will have many happy years with it.
My hat is off to you. :)

The best laid plans

lets clean up that head knocker
JKoSW8K.jpg

not a chance,the stuff is invincible,cut it,drilled it,hammered it,couldn't even break off a corner of it
dM4M10C.jpg

think i will just cut the fiberglass ,don't want to grind it  

so lets cut the sink in half,i've done this before
bKsUMAx.jpg

jigsaw,started it and it just took off,wouldnt stay straight,try to correct and blade broke,new blade on other side same thing,stopped and bent it back and forth till it broke
NfveXRt.jpg

have this if anyone wants
2iz9SII.jpg

will post it in the trading post

Status
Not open for further replies.