Terrorism in Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny b said:
Without going into the whys and why nots of the 'occupation', I found this latest tidbit to be f'ing hilarious:

the Bundy group via internet asks for the public's help with some food and supplies, ie 'care packages'. What they got had me ROFLMAO.

The 'packages' came and inside were packs of 'glitter', 'candies shaped like little penises', and some full sized 'sex toys' !!

God, I love America....finding humor in any situation!   :D

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-oregon-militia-idUSKCN0US31420160114

I sent birdseed. It is a bird sanctuary, afterall. I was thinking of Vaseline,  but chickened out.

One of the occupiers was arrested for driving a stolen government vehicle into town. News article mentioned both a truck and a van, but I think only one man was arrested. You have to be a special kind of stupid to drive a stolen government vehicle into town and go shopping.

Latest I heard was that the occupiers at Malheur do not think they hole the have dug for themselves is deep enough, so they are still digging. They took down some surveillance cameras on the road in because they think that will stop the FBI from seeing who comes and goes. It won't. They also started some major vandalism by cutting a new road in the park, a move that seems calculated to further alienate the public. They are demanding a hearing in some kind of Taliban syle alternative kangaroo court, also ticking off the general public. Real geniuses, these guys. What will they do next? Video themselves machine gunning Bambi?

their first problem was occupying a bird sanctuary in high desert middle of no where oregon,they have zero support here and better hope artic air doesn't come down

Gary68 said:
their first problem was occupying a bird sanctuary in high desert middle of no where oregon,they have zero support here and better hope artic air doesn't come down

You'd think they would do a little research before starting something like this. Up until now, the ranchers and the Fish and Wildlife people and the other locals have been getting along and cooperatng just fine at Malheur. Malheur brings a lot of tourist money into the local eçonomy. Now, everyone is mad at Bundy's bunch. The hunters and fishermen are mad. The bird watchers are mad. The Indian heritage people are mad. The local county residents are mad because this fiasco is costing them over $100,000 a day in increased security costs and reduced tourist dollars. The townspeople of Burns are mad because they are being intimidated and harassed by armed outside groups. The government is not mad. It is just biding its time.

The current hands off and observe strategy of the government is absolutely awesome. Deflates the situation, keeps sensationalism down, doesn't create martyrs for the terrorists, monitor where the communications are going etc.

Picking them and their associates up one by one when they eventually stomp their feet and go home.

New home is going to be a federal pentitentery.

Raven+Squid said:
The current hands off and observe strategy of the government is absolutely awesome. Deflates the situation, keeps sensationalism down, doesn't create martyrs for the terrorists, monitor where the communications are going etc.

Picking them and their associates up one by one when they eventually stomp their feet and go home.

New home is going to be a federal pentitentery.
my understanding is the militia that were following locals around turned out to be undercover FBI

CTP said:
my understanding is the militia that were following locals around turned out to be undercover FBI

That is not what I heard. Now that they finally got the public meeting they wanted, the actual local people have told them in no uncertain terms to go home. They áre not wanted. They said they would leave if the town wanted them to go, but it looks like they lied and never intended to go listen to the people. They spend so much time in an echo chamber listening to themselves that they don't realize how little support they have among the public.

It is difficult to believe anything you read in news reports. This struggle is not as cut and dried as you may think. Those of you who actually live and camp in the western U.S. may have noticed some roads shut down, closed off. The feds are doing this all over the west. The stretch from Oregon to no boondocking allowed is not as far as you think. Agree or don't agree with what is going on in with these people, but don't in your wildest dreams think the government isn't looking to control the populace wherever they may be. Follow the money. You free camp, not any more, pay up! The difference between ranchers who have relied on grazing public lands for years and you who want to camp/live on public lands is miniscule. I'm not saying what these guys are doing is right or wrong, I'm saying don't be so quick to condemn anyone who rails against government. Independence is important, from Washington, from elitists, from status quo. If my choice is regular folks or government------------hands down, government loses.

buckwilk said:
It is difficult to believe anything you read in news reports. This struggle is not as cut and dried as you may think. Those of you who actually live and camp in the western U.S. may have noticed some roads shut down, closed off. The feds are doing this all over the west. The stretch from Oregon to no boondocking allowed is not as far as you think. Agree or don't agree with what is going on in with these people, but don't in your wildest dreams think the government isn't looking to control the populace wherever they may be. Follow the money. You free camp, not any more, pay up! The difference between ranchers who have relied on grazing public lands for years and you who want to camp/live on public lands is miniscule. I'm not saying what these guys are doing is right or wrong, I'm saying don't be so quick to condemn anyone who rails against government. Independence is important, from Washington, from elitists, from status quo. If my choice is regular folks or government------------hands down, government loses.

(Shrug) Nope. I tried really hard. I reached down as far as I could into my Sympathy supply. Couldn't find any for armed seditionists. Not in a democracy when we can change the people who make policies we do not like at will. Not for people who are so self deluded that they believe they can reject and ignore the Federal government branches, including the court system, that was put in place by the major of voters because they, personally, do not like some its policies. Sorry. 

When waving the Constitution around to support ones views, one must read all of it, not just cherry pick the bits that one likes out of context. The systems the Founders experienced were all governance of the masses by a ruling elite. The system they came up with is an attempt to both protect the minority from the tyranny by the majority in the matter of individual rights AND to protect the majority from tyranny by the minority in  matters of policy. It isn't perfect, but it has worked pretty well to achieve both goals.

For some interesting 'home study', look at the bios and records of the Sheriff and DA involved in this case.  NONE of the participants on BOTH sides are good people.  All have an agenda they are following.  So, you either pick yer poison, or you sit back and just watch this episode of "Keystone Kops" meets "The Stooges" and get a few laughs.  It's become a real Dog & Pony Show.

LeeRevell said:
For some interesting 'home study', look at the bios and records of the Sheriff and DA involved in this case.  NONE of the participants on BOTH sides are good people.  All have an agenda they are following.  So, you either pick yer poison, or you sit back and just watch this episode of "Keystone Kops" meets "The Stooges" and get a few laughs.  It's become a real Dog & Pony Show.

Lee, the government side is not any individual. It is the laws and policies of the country. They can be changed if enough people decide to do it. If the protesters had gone in there armed with protest signs and press releases instead of guns, they would have been allowed to stay until the day the sun explodes. No one would have dared to try to remove them. Their cause would have been aired and heard by the public without threats and intimidation, and the public would have considered it. Look at how long the unarmed Occupy Wallstreet protesters were allowed to stay, until they started making a sanitary and traffic nightmare of themselves. 

Bundy and his bunch may or may not have gotten what they wanted. The public has a right to decide against them. But their cause would have at least been heard and no one would have been arrested. It was their own choice for the presence of the guns and the open threats against public officials and law enforcement that doomed them. Most of us law abiding citizens are not at all hostile to our government. We generally have good experiences with it. We do not like to see its officials threatened and will instantly classify anyone who does so as dangerous crackpots. The second those threats start, we stop hearing anything else from those who make them.

I just wanted to say that I don't care for the 'title' of this thread!!

These people are not "Terrorists"

Misguided, Confused, Under Informed...whatever. But not Terrorists. (this is the new pin* word from the media....and the government)